1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Sunderland

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 16, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Ref for this one has issued 116 yellows and 9 reds this season so far in 27 matches. Shall we raise the white flag now or just wait till the game is over? I'm not going to comment anymore so will leave it up to the rest of you to fill in the blanks.

COYG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

If we play like we have been recently there's not much hope but had a dream lastnight we started bad and looked done for climbed back to 6-5 up then woke up! Say no more<doh>

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Grant, Gillesphey, Scarr, Wilson, Sessegnon, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Hardie, Ennis.

Subs
    Burton, Broom, Garrick, Randell, Law, Jephcott, Crichlow.

Hardie back and starting...but of course no Edwards.....must score first.

Of our last three games this is probably the easiest to get points from......a win today would knock Sunderland back a peg or two.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T.

Wycombe W losing 1-0.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sunderland started the brighter for the first 15 minutes but Argyle grew into it and were stronger for the final 30. Both sides have had chances but failed to find the final pass or touch.

Good open game, all to play for. Camara is on fire............

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Some nice play but overall drab....

7. notDistantGreen

Sunderland had the better of the second half without really threatening while Argyle finished the game with a flurry of half and quarter chances. There was a lot of tension out there today and it seemed to affect both teams.

Camara went off with an injury to the back of his thigh. At worst perhaps a hamstring: at best perhaps a dead leg due to being knee-ed from behind. More injuries would not be helpful.

Crewe are relegated. Perhaps with the pressure off they can do something against Sheffield Wednesday and confound our jokers...........

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...F/T

One point better than nothing.

9. notDistantGreen

Still going to be a nail biting finish. Sheffield Wednesday have Wycombe & Portsmouth to play at home yet, so that's not an easy run in either.

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was as they say a funny ole game. I note some of the previous comments. Not sure I would describe it as drab as it was full of tension. Camara is on fire was another. Well he was either on fire or a damp squid but nothing much in between. I thought the Ref today was crap. Not going to say any more on that. We could have won it and we could have lost it. In the end perhaps it was a fair result. Perception is a strange animal, I said over my pint that I thought Argyle had more chances, had more shots on target and I did not remember Cooper having to save anything much at all for the whole game. Turns out the Beeb stats don't actually say that. Not sure who does their stats but it wasn't the game I thought I was watching. Sunderland looked almost as nervous as we did and I think in the end were probably glad of the point. Argyle were not great and their passing game seemed to disappear for this one. We gave the ball away far too often and far too cheaply. Ennis didn't seem to be able to control the ball at all and didn't seem to be able to even stand up for long. He had a bit of a mare. We just kept giving the ball away for no good reason. Jephcott came on in place of Ennis and he didn't seem to even touch the ball at all. Others were as good or as bad depending on your point of view.

Promotion wise or play off wise I think that it is between us and Wycombe who dips out. Thats looking at the games to play although there is always something to go wrong somewhere. It will come down to the last throw of the dice for both and neither of us has a gimmee.

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Was the atmosphere good as on TV sounded a little quiet? May have been suppressed as commentary was loud and clear.....

12. notDistantGreen

The TV coverage on TV and Argyle TV makes the crowd much quieter than it really is, firstly I suppose to let the commentators be heard and secondly to avoid bad language being broadcast. I also think they try to maintain an editorial balance between home and away, although the balance is actually 14,500 v 1,500!

Schumacher did say that the atmosphere was a bit odd, subdued. It’s tension I think: we aren’t on top form I’ll agree and it’s the business end of the season now.

I agree with you about Ennis & Camara Sensible. As far as Ennis is concerned, I suppose we have to remember he was up against better defenders yesterday. Sunderland’s strikers weren’t allowed to live up to reputations either.

Camara is a conundrum isn’t he? If he could finish and find that final killer pass as well as he runs about, he’d be playing in the Champions League. But he can’t. It’s very frustrating.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I wish they would tone down the 'background' music ...making it easier to hear the talking on some TV programmes....or isn't that important to understand the plot that the actors are portraying.

Very noticiable on David Attenborough programmes at times.

I expect as notDistant says....we don't need to hear 'blue' language at a 'greens' match.....depends if the commentators commentary is not bias and accurate and even putting the right names to players at times would help.....they are known to talk amongst themselves at time and miss some of the action that we see on screen and they do not mention.....a radio commentary can be inaccurate and we would never know.

14. notDistantGreen

I was thinking of the remark congratulating 1,500 Sunderland fans for having made the 800 mile trip. Fair enough, it's a long way and well done: that number may well have been limited by the number of tickets available.

However, that's our 6th sell out this season and several in a row now the season is coming to a climax. We regularly take 1,000 or more to goodness knows where on a Tuesday night in the depths of winter, never mind a Saturday afternoon in Spring. It's a bit grovelling to the supposed "Big Club" to congratulate Sunderland fans for turning up at what amounts to a pre-play off play-off when Argyle fans do it week in, week out.

And I think they shift the sound balance to make the two noise levels similar when in fact they aren't....

15. notDistantGreen

Apparently Niall Ennis tweeted "Not happy with my performance at all need to put it right Saturday." after the match. It was disappointing but once again it shows the honesty of the players we sign.

16. dred

dred Well-Known Member

Like yours our fan's travel in numbers, I believe we have sold out at every away game. Our nearest game is 110 miles away.
    I believe in congratulating every fan that turns up at the SOL. Whether it be 200 or 2,000 knowing they would have travelled 110 miles minimum

17. notDistantGreen

I wasn't a criticism of your club or its fans who filled the away section: you can't do more than that. It's the commentators...

We have our own TV set-up down here for streamed games, having declared independence from iFollow, who service most clubs at this level. The club make more money that way, the coverage is about a thousand times better and we benefit from a totally biased pro-Argyle commentary! I presume when teams come to Home Park for streamed games, they provide their own commentary.

dred likes this.
  18. dred

dred Well-Known Member

Yes we have SAFSEE, a much better alternative.