1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Swansea in the Cup

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 22, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Same as last year?

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ryan Lowe suggesting that he might change the team for this one.....Saturday's league game being more important.....both Jephcott and Hardie are playing more minutes than usual and it's still only August.....will George Cooper get a run out for this one.....he was on the bench last Saturday.....will Rhys Shirley get a start ?

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Burton, Gillesphey, Scarr, Tomlinson, Law, Broom, Randell, Camara, Edwards, Hardie, Jephcott.

Subs
    M Cooper, Houghton, Galloway, G Cooper, Craske, Mitchell, Shirley.

I thought Shirley would have started...maybe half time......Hardie and Jephcott are playing too many minutes so early in the season....we are desperate for a bigger squad.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see we have four Coopers on the bench......Michael, George, Brandon & Oliver.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 down.....Williams...29mins.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...H/T.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Surely it was Shirley 1 - 1 .

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Shirley scores his first Argyle Goal on 63 minutes....1-1......only been on a few minutes.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Whittaker...79 minutes...2-1.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

2 - 1 down now.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

3 - 1 game over.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

4-1... F/T.....Whittaker completes his hat-trick.....79, 86,90 minutes......Williams...29 minutes.......and Shirley...63 minutes for Argyle......disappointing end.

7...changes for Swansea and 4 for Argyle.

4-1 a little flattering in the end.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  13. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Flattering seems to be the consensus. After equalising we pushed on to try to win it and got caught by a wonder goal by Whittaker. Maybe energy levels started to drop and we're probably better off without this competition while we have several out for one reason or another.

No disgrace: Championship opposition and a plucky performance in which they had a lot of the ball but we hit them hard on the break. Good experience for the youngsters who can hold their heads high.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Meh! Not bothered if we are in or out of cups to be honest. The mickey mouse cup is coming up and the sooner we are out of that the better. Seems a bit flattering at 4 - 1 but lose is lose no matter how many it is. I believe we had 5 youngsters on the pitch at the end. Shirley got his first senior goal after a cracker of a cross from Randall apparently. Some things to take out of the game for Lowe I'd guess.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

One thing I did notice tonight was that Shrewsbury still haven't scored.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video....not sure about Burton in goal....how did he not get something on the first one.... I don't think that Michael Cooper's place is in jeopardy.....but saying that Swansea looked too good going forward.....and that was with seven changes from their last league side.

But some good game time for some of our fringe players.....and Shirley scoring can only boost his prospects.

We do need a bigger squad... and even with Ennis fit we were always lacking attackers....if you play with two strikers each game then having only three front line strikers is a none starter and to leave it till late in the window to sort it out is a problem.....okay we've had some refusals but that is par for the course.....we should have sorted it out by now.....after the initial rush of defenders coming in there wasa gap when nothing happened.....will we desperately just have to take the dregs that are left......a 46 game season is a long haul....you get injuries and players out of form and you need more cover....and when key players get injured in the first few weeks then it becomes a big problem....which to have in August is worrying.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It isn't like ordering a bloody pizza for supper. You can't just pick up the phone and order a couple of strikers, a midfielder and several defenders on the side. I doubt we will desperately sign any dregs that are left either. There is a world of difference playing football manager on a games consul and doing it for real. Ask Lyndie who no doubt has a bit more info on it than we do.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

24th of April was when the last season finished....that is 4 months ago.....understandable that the big priority was the defence that resembled a sieve.....and that was achieved.....unlucky that James Bolton got injured before the season got going....but we do just have enough cover to cope with that.

But for a manager that majors on two strikers every game....having only three available did emphasis the need for one or two more to cover all eventualities that could happen.....and a third of a year has passed by without any success on that front.....even with Niall Ennis not being injured we seriously needed back up....so I would be very annoyed if I had to wait 4 months for my pizza to arrive.....sounds like a problem to me...remember Ryan Lowe was a striker so he should of been on that case earlier......Hardie and Jephcott are playing too many minutes each game and they need more rest else they will pick up injuries and as I've already said elsewhere it is only August.....and we have 42 games still to go.

19. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Ryan Lowe doesn't do it all by himself.

There's Neil Dewsnip for a start on the football side plus the analytics people, in house or external, and potentially scouts. There's Andrew Parkinson on the financial side and Lyndhurst on the contractual stuff. Somebody in there thinks about ethics and background: we aren't a club that wants wife beaters or racists.

As the famous saying goes, you can take a horse to water but you can't make it agree contractually to drink.

Yes we need at least one more striker. Do I think it's easy? No I don't. Do I think they're trying? Yes I do. Do I think we've recruited well since Cristmas? Yes I do.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I don't disagree with any of that notDistant......but four months/ a third of a year is a long time....one more injury up front and we will be depending on young Rhys Shirley....who might be a gem for the future...but give him a chance to develop at his speed not force him into having to deliver before he is ready....giving him no chance to be loaned to a Conference/ etc club to get experience....that's what happened to Jephcott and Randell.....without it they might of died a death at Argyle.