1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Walsall

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 30, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After last weekend I almost dare not ask the dreaded question "what could possibly go wrong".

I've been reading a bit about Walsall and their existance is not exactly the greatest football story ever told. Like us they have never set foot in the top division despite being in existance since 1880 something. Best finish to a season was 16th in the old league 2. Isuppose you could argue our history isn't that much better although we have spent a lot more time in the second tier than they have. But, not relevant to today any of it.

So, the start to this season has been similar to our's except they have drawn an extra game rather than lose it. They sit one point above us currently. This is the sort of game we could do with winning so I am going to cross everything and then some this Saturday more in hope than anything else that last Saturday was a blip and nothing more. COME ON ADAMS SORT IT OUT!!!!!!

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Not looking quite so rosy at present is it? I know received opinion we've been a bit unlucky: two own goals (I think), a red card, rare for us, better performances than scores would suggest etc etc. but the league table doesn't lie. Four points from the next two would be nice.

3. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think we will be in for a much improved performance sensible.

Adams will have made it clear that he is not pleased with many aspects of Saturday (useless ref aside). I think we will see the below team back to a 4-2-3-1 with Grant back:

McCormick

Miller, Edwards, Bradley, Sawyer

Fox, Ness

Jervis, Carey, Grant

Ciftci

Subs: Te Loeke, Sokolik, Taylor-Sinclair, Songo'o, Lameiras, Blissett, Fletcher

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

A game to score a few goals so to put aside last week. COYG.

5. notDistantGreen

Spot on with your team selection Hobo!

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

HT.....Walsall...1-0...Argyle......sounds like poor defending for the goal........Songo'o brought on to toughen up mid-field.....Grant off.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Lost 2-1.....Carey penalty.

Poor display from what I've read so far....not up to speed for this league as yet.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

pasoti comments on the match are a bit dire.....hardly any good points to take from the match....Walsall seen as a middle of the table team at best.
    Poor display from Ciftci...seen as rather lightweight....obviously doesn't fit into Celtic's future plans.
    Bradley seen as a shadow of the player he was last season which is disappointing......at least Edwards seems to be a good player.
    Concern that we lack pace in the team and unable to keep the ball.....started well and were on top for the first 15 minutes....but without testing their goalkeeper.....after they scored we were supposed to be all at sea and were probably lucky to go to H/T only 1-0 down. Leaking goals, including two own goals.....our defence kept us competitive last season.....if they don't tighten up we could be struggling badly....because we won't be scoring shed loads of goals with this attack......and our midfield have no control in this division at the moment.

9. notDistantGreen

I think needs to rethink the formation we start with. This is the 2nd game in succession in which he's has to make substitutions to shore up central midfield. If we can't afford the luxury of wide attackers, then we need to start with 2 strikers.

It's also the second game in succession in which the first goal conceded came down our right flank, after which we chased the result in vain. Don't want to name names but get well soon Oscar Threlkeld.

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I think the PASOTI posters were at a different match than me. Admittedly they were watching from behind the goal and I was on the halfway line. Having had the debrief with No 2 son in the car on the way back, the different perspective does make a huge difference. We started really well, and I mean really well. Good fast attacking link up play - admittedly without really testing their keeper. Walsall, as you would expect , grew into the match with the diminutive No 10 bossing things-no surprise he was MOTM and we were overun in midfield until songo'o replace Joel Grant before HT.. Walsall looked like scoring every time they came forward , but equally will did well in their half. Both their goals came from mistakes in the midfield -first Joel was robbed of the ball and eventually they scored, and for the second Yann failed to deal with a situation which allowed a good long range shot into the bottom corner. However, we were much improved with the addition of songo'o and '3(5) at the back'. Seen every match so far except Southend away and I think we will be fine . Contrary to what I initially thought, the standard in L1 is noticeably better than L2 but more than anything, the tempo is much higher. We need to look after the ball better. We have some good players and I think all are L1 standard. The biggest thing for me though is we need a match soon where we make the early pressure pay off and score a goal-I think it might then be a different story. A few positives; 1500 travelling fans-outstanding; the ref was GOOD (never thought I would say that); DA made a point of thanking the fans at the end; Ry Edwards and Jamie Ness are class acts; and I won the 50/50 draw!(though it was much less than it is at home park).
    Onwards and upwards -two home games coming up and I think we might start to gel and play some good stuff.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You do seem to have a knack of winning these sort of things....don't you Lyndy.....isn't that the third time you've won something similar ?

Hope your right about the team coming good.....from a distance it ain't so obvious at the moment.

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Yes it is the 3rd time , the first two paid for my season tickets for a couple of years- this one has paid for my petrol for the month! Clearly I am extremely biased when it comes to team performances but I genuinely think we will be fine and end up in the top half of the table. Living and breathing it every day gives a bit of a different perspective (even for a long time fan)-I think I have developed a longer term view so am not too worried about a few early disappointing results. Will look at the table after 15 matches.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

By my reckoning, the 15th game (league) should be away to AFC Wimbledon......and that will be my first of three live games this season (the others Charlton & Gillingham) one in March and the Gills being the last game of the season......I hope the last game hasn't got us looking over our shoulders for survival.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

24hrs after the match has finished....and no word from sensible.....is it to late to put guards on the Tamar Bridge to stop weeping greens from jumping in.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been watching the video highlights of the game.....it would be hard not to be impressed by the 5ft 3in Erhun Oztumer the lad born in Greenwich S London of Turkish-Cypriot descent...definitely running on Duracell batteries.....we couldn't pin him down at all....robbed Songo'o of the ball and left him flat on his back and then drilled it in the net from the edge of the box. Other times when they were quicker thinking and took the ball away from us when it looked our ball.......noticeable how our fullbacks were left for dead at times by quick footwork and speed......we need to sort these things out sooner than later.....and score first as well.
    The penalty looked reasonable soft as well.....but we'll have that....great penalty by Carey.

16. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Thank you notDistant.

Now if I could be spot on with the score predictions I would be a happy man!

17. notDistantGreen

One goal conceded from the right back position (again) and the other with Songo'o giving the ball away. I'm saying nothing.

Nailed on penalty I thought Plym, not just 1 push but 2 and Blissett in a good position with a run on the CB for a header.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

notDistant.....have you looked at the very good video shown on pasoti thread "Match Day moments with visit Plymouth v Walsall".....far better than the Sky version.....excellent view of the penalty at roughly 5mins 40 seconds.

19. notDistantGreen

I have now... still say it's a penalty. Yes Blissett goes over but what is the guy doing putting his hands on his back if not to propel him under the ball?

20. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Didn't comment because I couldn't get into the system plym. Not sure why I can now and culdn't then because I've not done anything to change anything at all.

Listened to some of the game on Saturday and was thinking here we go again. Lots of possession, lots of effort but once more not a thing to show for any of it. Seems we can't score when we are on top. Thought that with previous game at home and it's identical with the identical outcome. A loss. Not sure about Cifter the shifter. Thought he was only interested at times.