1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Elsewhere it says that Bob Foale was the commentator....been involved with the AFT.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is gonna sound a bit stupid given the present circumstances. No I don't listen to the radio notdistant. Reason being my superstition in that we always seemed to lose when I did. As BC would say "Daft I call it".

If Adams had pride he would be looking at HIS team, the one he has brought here and trains, and would be doing the honourable thing right now. Thing is he hasn't got any honour has he. Still thinks he is doing a good job. Looking at the bank balance the Chairman is scared stiff to do the right thing because of the stupid length of contract that the last Chairman landed us with. Cheers Brent. You signed a turkey before christmas and then fecked off before it could be laid at your door. Can't give players longer contracts but the manager can get one. Double standards right there and shows his loyalty to himself .

3. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Yea "Daft i call it"

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Adams will say he has one of the smaller budgets in the league. He will say the teams he put out are competitive but individual players are committing horrendous mistakes.

He's right on both counts.

He's not going to walk. I wouldn't walk.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

This is the worst set of players we have had for years. He bought them. Who will he blame for that? Course he won't walk. He would quite gladly though if he had the 4 years pay in his pocket to go with him.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One of the smaller budgets....that might be a little porkie...middle of the league might be nearer the mark....if he hadn't thrown so many out last summer he could have bought less but better....assuming he can recognize better anymore.....:huh:.

7. notDistantGreen

We won't know about the budget until the end of the season I believe. Last year we were in the bottom 5?

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

The summariser was Bob Foale - one time leader of the AFT (he might still be as far as I know). No idea why he said these comments- clearly the Club have no input over who Radio Devon select (although they often struggle to get anyone) . So the problem is that you occasionally end up with amateurs who say what they think, rather than what they know.
    Greg Strong left entirely by his own choice having been offered a deal by a currently small northern club, but one that will inevitably become a decent L1/L2 club in the not too distant future.

9. notDistantGreen

That's reassuring Lyndhurst. It didn't square with what Derek Adams had said about target signings being planned etc, although he did say others would have to leave to make way. I should think he's so frustrated he'd have quite a list of departeees although getting rid of them may be easier said than done,

I did wonder if the summariser quite understood the significance of what he'd said himself. One of those things that if someone did know it, they wouldn't say it, so if they did say it, they don't know it. If you see what I mean.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Clubs will want our better players...not the injury prone under performing ones that Adams would like to off-load.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You know they struggle or you just assume they do lyndhurst in the same vain as somebody not knowing what Argyle are doing or what the true story is and are amateurs. You are totally up on Radio Devon recruitment of co-commentators then? I don't know diddly squat about Argyle's finances but if and that is a massive IF, they are in the bottom 5 budget size wise then I'm a chocolate frog with pink ears. If we have that kind of budget on the sort of crowds we get then somebody somewhere is mismanaging the finances at the club. Where is the money being syphoned off to? The facts are quite plain for all to see. Adams has bought a load of crap this time around and the club is now full of crap. He bought them, he trains and manages them and he is the one the finger should be pointed at. The club fecked up by giving him the contract he has when they wouldn't give players anywhere near that. Ergo both have fecked up. We the paying customers are the ones being short changed yet again and everyone thinks it is the club being hard done by because the paying customers are moaning about it. How dare they for christ sake. Fecking amateurs the lot of them and they should clear the terraces of that sort. Never mind the football on offer will manage that soon enough.

12. lyndhurstgreen

I know they struggle insofar as on a couple of occasions recently they have been looking for someone to do the co-commentary the day before the match-hence the reason last season the CEO did it once and this season we have already had Rick Cowdery(who I thought was very good) - it isn't necessarily a criticism, but by definition it means that you wont always get someone with much of an expert insight.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You want to offer your services Lyndy....and give us all a plug....be better than hearing about the wonderful pasoti regime all the time....:rolleyes:....:D.

14. notDistantGreen

I read up on the budget restrictions in trying (and failing) to find a table showing each club's spending.

Essentially, in Leagues 1 and 2, a weak and watery set of rules apply, weaker even than those that are circumvented all the time in the top 2 tiers. Cash injections by owners count as "income" (not sure what set of accountancy rules that was based upon), provided the injection isn't constituted as a formal loan.

Thus sugar-daddy owners can subsidise the ordinary running of clubs and there's no correlation with real income as we would understand it through the turnstiles etc. This explains how some clubs (e.g. Fleetwood) record whopping great losses under real world accounting measures but continue in business.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I also tried to find figures for 2017/18 season....lots of websites but no actual figures.....suspicious I think.

16. lyndhurstgreen

No I dont