1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 6, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I still haven't forgiven them for me paying out several hundreds of pounds on a Wembley trip for sod all. Anyway as I often do I have to mention the Ref for this match who apparently so far has issued 101 yellows and 6 reds in 25 matches. Think that's the highest stat for cards so far this season. Is it my imagination or do the Officials dish out loads more these days.

Anyway this is another like Saturday that we ought to win and realistically do need to win (no pressure then) so we have to go again and give a proper Tuesday night performance for once. Mind you I don't like Tuesday night matches either. So in accordance with what should be I am obviously going for a win for the Greens.

COYG

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Need to take them apart from the start as goal difference might mean so much end of season.
    As for the ref just keep out of trouble much as possible lol.
    Still pisses me off too that bloody playoff final...cost me a good £500 quid or more!

Greenarmyjoe likes this.
  3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

After the nasty things you said about Saturday's ref I thought he had a decent game. My one beef was stopping the play when we had a second half breakaway because one of theirs had gone down with a leg injury. Head injuries I understand but I thought he was too quick to stop it there.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Grant, Gillesphey, Bolton, Wilson, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Broom, Hardie, Ennis.

Subs
    Burton, Garrick, Sessegnon, Randell, Camara, Jephcott, Crichlow.

Camara still being rested ?

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Hardie...29mins.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...H/T.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...Broom...61mins.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...F/T.

9. notDistantGreen

Wimbledon hadva bit more to offer than Morecambe, particularly in the first half, when it was quite even. Wimbledon hit the post when it looked easier to score but then Major slipped a beautiful little ball into Hardie in space on the edge of the 6 yard box. That's always going to be fatal. He tucked it away as if tapping a lost ball back to a 6 year old in the park on Sunday afternoon.

Wimbledon changed their shape at half time but it didn't really alter the game much. Argyle broke quickly from a Wimbledon free kick: long to Ennis who brought the ball under control on the left. Broom was thundering upfield through the middle. Ennis found him with a sliderule pass through 2 or 3 defenders for Broom to tap home.without breaking stride.

Wimbledon closed the game by hitting the woodwork again but this was another cruise control win for Argyle. Not exhilarating but comfortable, no wonder saves from Cooper. There will be times we need more than this: let's hope its there when we need it.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's a bit weird because I actually thought Ennis had a poor game until he slotted the ball on a plate to Broom who I also thought wasn't that good tonight. The combination of two poor performances overall ended in a goal for. I agree generally with notdistant that this was a cruise control regulation 2 - 0 win without the game bursting into life. We passed well if not forward a lot but that was keeping the ball and not letting Wimbledon back into the game. To be fair I thought Wimbledon put a lot of effort in and were not that bad a side, You couldn't fault them for effort. if the end product was lacking. It always amazes me that if you are at the top the ball somehow finds it's way into the net but if you are at the bottom end of the league it hits the post. They really should have scored a couple.

Onwards and upwards though and we got the result that we needed to get. The other results were a betting man's dream with virtually every result going as expected. It is interesting to note that Bolton drew a game most would have expected them to win and they are next on the Argyle list.

11. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed the game, like you said Wimbledon were not a bad team.
    It must of been great to see Brooms goal right in front of you..

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It very much was in front of me BC. I sit right opposite the 18 yard line and have a great view of the goal. It was literally on a plate for Broom. We needed that goal though to stop any thought Wimbledon had of making a come back. Apart from the final action Wimbledon were quite decent and did put in a lot of effort I thought. We have been in that position before though when you are down in the bottom section and nothing goes right for you no matter what you do. Their first attempt was harder to miss than it was to score.

13. notDistantGreen

We had a bit of that against Rotherham: should have won it but lost 0-1.

In the end though you make your own luck. Their guy missed an open goal from 5 yards even though he's the big lad who's supposed to head the ball.

Hardie on the other hand drifted off the defender and then when the ball came to him, had the nerve to take a touch in a very small space and to slot it calmly instead of slashing at it first time.

Ennis had the ball but had nowhere much to go. Who made a lung bursting 80 yard sprint to get there? Just one from either side: Broom. No green shirt with him and no defender either, so he got an "easy" tap in.

I know what you mean; we weren't dominant and they'll be sick they hit the woodwork twice. But we didn't hit the woodwork when our chances came, we put them away, and for that reason, we deserved the 3 points.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep agree it was like us v Rotherham but this time we were the winning side not the chasers. I never look at it that to hit a post is the post saving anyone. It is not on target so it is a miss and no more. We did deserve the points and we did look a better side no matter how hard Wimbledon worked. For them to put up a good show and for us to win it comfortably shows we are a good side. We have a load of hard games coming up and our run in must be one of the hardest there could be on form and league position but again, we are a good side in our own right so why be scared of any of them. They won't want to face an in form Argyle either.

15. notDistantGreen

Potentially it's a tough one on Saturday. Bolton have 5 wins and a draw from their last 6 home games: but the draw was yesterday and against Morcambe....

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I just don't think you can read anything into who dropping points against happens. ALL of the sides up or around the top have lost or drawn with some side down the bottom. It ain't just us who has banana skins to avoid. On our day we are a match for anyone no matter what the big club supporters might say. I'd sometimes rather be the supposed underdog in a race which in my view takes the pressure off if nobody is expecting us to do anything. At worst we will have an influence on the race that's for sure..

17. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

If Argyle don't up, then we might play Exeter...

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Another full house if we do and to be honest I'm not bothered who we play. At least it will be a local Derby for once. I want ALL Devon sides to do well as it can only be good for the Region.