1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wycombe Wanderers

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 23, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've put this thread up a bit earlier than I would normally due to the incoming festive stuff and the fact that people might have something better to do with their time than post on here. Can't think why they would mind but no accounting for taste.

So we are back with the mighty Chairboys and everyone no doubt remembering the last home encounter with them. Mr Ainsworth was voted the most entertaining man ever to visit Home Park and it took weeks to get the imprints of the Wycombe players out of the pitch after they lay on it for the majority of 90 minutes.

We have picked up form wise of late after our slump. Wycombe on the other hand were not doing too well themselves but have had a massive upturn in fortunes which originally coincided with our downturn. They must be the form team of this league at the minute and have I think won their last 8 matches including Cups. This is going to be a real hard fought affair if both teams come to the party. I would say probably harder than the Doncaster match was destined to be. We managed to overcome them so we have to believe we can do the same with Wycombe. The one thing I hope is that the Anfield FA Cup match doesn't overshaddow our league performances in that players are only half hearted not wanting to miss out through injury. What could possibly go wrong..................

2. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

I couldn't get on the draw at 14-1, with 5 minutes left in time, is what went wrong.

Bliddy interweb!

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Short report tonight as a) we are entertaining and b) Iv'e just cut my finger with a very sharp kitchen implement and am typing with my 4th finger so as not to get blood on the keyboard. Well 3-3 it ended up and I guess most would say that was a fair reflection on proceedings but Argyle really shouldn't be giving away 2 goal leads at home. All Argyle's goals were scruffy efforts that nontheless ended up in the net, 2 of Wycombe's were pretty decent strikes and the other was a mistake by Carey. Several other chances at both ends, especially in the 2nd half. Wycombe weren't as bad (attitude wise) as last season but had we not equalised fairly soon after their first then I suspect they would have been a whole lot worse. Jervis and Garita were the best players in green with also Bradley doing well. Carey had a poor first 20 mins then made the pass of the season which seemed to improve him. Akinfenwa was, as always, good value and it was inevitable that he would lead the come back with a well taken goal (assisted by poor defending). The ref I thought did well. Luke was even more rooted to the spot than normal and I am sure that doesn't instill confidence in his fellow defenders. Enjoyed the day out. Probably 2 points dropped but I would have taken a point before the (delayed) kickoff.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Start delayed by 15 minutes because of chaos at the ticket office.

From comments that I've read...under-staffed ticket office and selling Liverpool tickets at the same time as selling Wycombe tickets......who planned that cock-up....PAFC or was it something to do with Ticketmaster ?.....anyone got the answer ?

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was going to go to the ticket office before kick off today but in the end decided that tomorrow would be a much better proposition. How wise was that as it turns out. Crowd today of 12000+. Good turn out and it's wonderous what an away day at Liverpool can do,

Thought a number of players for Argyle were quite stand out today and for me the best of the bunch were Threkeld and Bradley. Thought Threkeld especially put his whole self on the line at times. This was a strange old game for sure and it did start out quite open. Argyle made 3 mistakes one after the other for the first goal and Wycombe quite typically did what an Ainsworth team do and tried to kill the game even that early. Suddenly everthing went into slomo and the turf looked the better proposition for their players. Fortunately we equalised with, as lyndhurst calls it, a scuffy goal. Don't care what it was it went in and that is the bit that counts. Amazingly Wycombe came back to life and stopped killing it. We then took a lead with another fairly scruffy affair and suddenly we looked like winning. When we went a further goal in front with what looked like a hand scooped effort from where I sit I thought we might have killed the hoodoo. Not to be. Another stupid episode of errors and a decent finish by theat man who haunts us and it was game on again. We needed to score again and despite coming close we couldn't quite manage it. Then the inevitable happens and it's 3 - 3 with 2 minutes of normal time remaining.

Overall I think that was a fair result in the end. Also I think that most of the ground would have taken it before kick off as lyndhurst has already stated. I think I would have. Not sure it was 2 points dropped as such where an opposing team didn't deserve to score. Wycombe are a decent side this time around and if only Ainsworth could drop his instinct to try to kill games like this I think they could do much better. Old habits die hard. The Ref for this one was a strange animal. He tried to let the game flow and most of the time it did. However, there was so much holding and shoving he just ignored it became the norm to do it. He hardly ever pulled it up even when it was right in front of his eyes. He was like it for both sides so it wasn't any bias shown. On another day with another Ref I felt there could have been several more cards, several penalties at either end although perhaps two more for us than them overall. Akinfenwa caught the ball on his arms before dropping it to his feet and laying it off which led to their 3rd. It was blatant in the old Tommy Tynan style. The Ref just ignored it. Having said that he didn't really have a bad game either. Not a bad game to watch even if it was delayed kicking off. People know the kickoff time so why can't they get there and ensure they are in the ground on time. I personally would have just kicked off as per norm and sod them.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with what's been said so will confine my self with Chant of the Week.

Ainsworth is a ******, he wears a stupid hat

And when he takes his hat off, he looks a ******* ****

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why didn't Adams put on some fresh legs in the last 15 minutes ?

Argyle had played 210 minutes in five days......a 120 minutes on that tough Newport pitch.

Ok maybe we didn't have like for like to bring on....but even so pro footballers surely can adapt and do a job to see out the game.

Carey needs a rest....I think he has started every game this season hasn't he ?....I think it showed yesterday.

Tanner hasn't played so much football recently....next Saturday might be his last game.....Garita has been used more in recent games now he is fit....he also is down to go back to B City after Saturday......or has Derek Adams been working behind the scenes to retain them for the rest of the season....maybe take Tanner on full time.....we will certainly miss both of them if they go back to their parent clubs.

8. notDistantGreen

We were 3-1 up with 30 to play. Seemed an ideal time to bring Bulvitis on and move Song'o into midfield for Smith, thus tightening up and getting back to the side that went so well for so long.

Maybe fear of Akinfenwa was too great....

Instead, we went on careering forward with inevitable results. Should have closed this one out .

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Back of the "Erald" today was the headline that Adams was not a happpy bunny with rugby tackles. I didn't buy the rag but just saw that bit. Guess what. He wasn't the only one. He says we should have had 2 penalties. I still say it was a fair result.

10. notDistantGreen

Well, the only one I saw for sure was Songo'o on Akinfenwa!

Songo'o and Bradley played Akinfewa pretty well, but it was a case of one in front, one behind and no access to the ball by fair means or foul. Unless refs start to penalise all the pushing and holding in the box, we're stuck with it and every team is going to do it.