1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wycombe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 21, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another Tuesday night game. Oh how I wish they could just play on Saturday afternoons. Another stern test for the Pilgrims with Wycombe flying fairly high again this season. Once again I'm not sure which way this one will go. We of course have a chance of taking the points and the players do have the incentive to bounce back after Saturday and start another run going. At least this time we are playing a team that has played as much recently as we have. If tiredness plays a part then at least we haven't had to travel this time. I think this time we might just give Gareth a run for his money. Just hope it finishes in time for me to have a pint afterwards and not have to just order breakfast..........

COYG

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Crickey 4 pages on pasoti already about how horrible Wycombe are and the other half of posters defending them. I think some of the Argyle posters need to look at our own backyard before throwing stones at other teams for time wasting. Ask Cooper what he got cards for this season. Anyway just read that the Ref for this game has only done 4 games so far this season. Wait for it......................he has issued 23 yellows and 2 reds in those. I think you have to be more worried about him than the opposition falling down a lot. I hope his lack of games is because his record of cards is OTT and it was noted via a punishment of not getting games and he has learned a lesson.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Lowe seems to have been unhappy with our attacking play on Saturday, failing as it did to convert possession into goals. I guess we'll see changed in that department, including potentially the wing backs. Joe Edwards in particular doesn't seem to have been on top form recently.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We rarely had anyone near the penalty spot to attack any ball into the box....no one had the legs.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So are we ready for the 100 minutes match tonight....lets just hope they don't score first....especially in the first few minutes....because it could be a very long boring evening.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

M Cooper, Grant, Galloway, Scarr, Wilson, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Jephcott, Hardie.

Subs
    Burton, Gillesphey, Broom, Garrick, Agard, Randell, G Cooper.

Need to win this one....because it gets harder Saturday.

Surprised Mayor is starting....will he cope with physical Wycombe ??

7. notDistantGreen

Argyle of course playing the better football, including good stuff from Mayor in a roaming role, but Wycombe have made chances.

Wycombe have a man on Houghton, which is disturbing the normal pattern, but Argyle finding some innovative movements. Notably Houghton is sprinting forward, taking his marker with him, while Jephcott is dropping into the space..

8. notDistantGreen

Injury to Galloway looks serious BTW. Badly turned right ankle I think.

9. notDistantGreen

0-1. Smart shot from Vokes but Cooper beaten at the near post in 2 successive games.

10. notDistantGreen

Poor defending from a Wycombe gial kick which gets straight though for 0-2.

Full range of dark arts being deployed by Wycombe. Never changes, scum.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-3

This ain't going well.

12. notDistantGreen

Well I certainly recognise Wycombe regrettably but I don't know who they were playing. Only Mayor can say he fully delivered what he's capable of.

Poor performance against a very predictable opposition. Maybe 0-3 is a little severe but we've failed to deal with League 2 football.

All this compounded by a nasty looking injury to Galloway, which for the avoidance of doubt, was a complete accident, slipping as he tried a long range shot and going over on what should have been his standing foot.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Galloway has a dislocated kneecap. Ouch. That man is so unlucky with injury.

I think that 0 - 3 was flattering to Wycombe although we never looked like winning anything all evening. I have defended Wycombe in the past for falling down injured and stopping the game but tonight was exceptional. I found it hard to praise then for anything. The Ref was weak despite the previous of 23 yellows and two reds. He did however issue 6 more yellows tonight. Mayor was fouled constantly and had little protection. The forward line was totally ineffectual. They looked tired as a unit and they could do with a break but they aren't going to get one anytime soon.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been reading some of the match comments.....very depressing.

We obviously were out thought and Wycombe had a plan that worked.....we had over twenty shots...but only four on target.

Jephcott playing deeper was a disaster....he only succeeds close in.

Mayor man of the match....although his end result was the usual...ziltch.....just shows how bad the rest of the team where.

Ryan Lowe out thought and out manoeuvred yet again by Wycombe.

Wigan had an unexpected blimp against Cambridge....2-0 down but still get a draw.....big game Saturday for us.....and it looks like Galloway has finished playing for awhile and his replacement Gillesphey had a poor game by all accounts.

From the last eight home games again Wycombe...we've mustered 2pts.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Seems like we were sussed out again but saying that don't give them the ball so often. 3pts to them was virtually guaranteed before kickoff lol!
    Hope we don't now do another last season<doh>

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wycombe must be losing their touch....the second half was only 8 minutes over 45....so 53 minutes long.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle needed to re-set after the Charlton defeat....and go again....BUT the luck of the draw had us playing the one team that have cast a spell over Argyle at Home Park in recent years.....Wycombe Wanderers....played 8....won 0....drawn 2....lost 6.... that is now...W0...D2...L7.

Maybe we need a priest to do an exorcism or something to break the spell on us.

27 shots...only 4 on target....none really bothering their keeper that much.....we should have given Agard ago instead of Garrick who only continued the same style that had failed all evening.

When things are going well Ryan Lowe looks a good manager.....but when things aren't going well and we need to change what we're doing then I feel he fails...often subbing late and generally changing like for like....when a change of direction is needed.

We can generally all write the team sheet for Lowe.....11/13 players we can all guess who will be on the starting list.....with so many mid-week games played this season tiredness and injuries will mount up....maybe our team will be a little weaker by rest key players now and again....but there is a better chance of them lasting the whole season by doing that.

An example is Scarr....great in the air in defence....but is it fair that he starts every week....he must lose some of his competitive edge by not having enough recovery time.

Opposition teams will get to know who we will be picking each week and plan accordingly.

We heard from their manager that Wycombe watched Argyle match videos on the coach coming down...and planned how to play against us...and it worked perfectly.

18. notDistantGreen

Jephcott playing deeper is not a disaster. He contributes by joining play up from there, he leaves a defender marking no one and he can still arrive late, unmarked to get a tap in if he gets his skates on. Hardie has the pace to burn defenders off and so is best playing off the shoulder. It's not perhaps the full Plan B that some want but it's a useful variation.

The problem we do have was explained by Jordan Houghton himself in his recent interview. We play a 3:1:4:2 and he's clearly identifiable as that "1" so teams, including Wycombe, are putting one of their midfielders on him to disrupt the flow of play out from the back. Now personally, I wonder if it's time to switch to a 3:2:3:2 now and then, with Houghton and Randell as the "2", two wingbacks and Mayor in the hole behind the 2 strikers or something similar. When we're playing out from the back, that gives two outlets not one and when the ball goes into the opposition's final third, one of the two can go forward to join in. Ideally of course you'd want to be able to make that switch within the 11 rather than changing the line up. Could Broom play there? Would 2 holding players allow you to pick say Garratt and Cooper as the wingbacks? That would free up Conor Grant.

I thought the ref was poor too. There was a tackle on Camara down in that Lyndhurst/Devonport End corner for which their guy was booked but he was high, wild and nowhere near the ball. Straight red for me.