1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wycombe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 14, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is the one we have all been waiting for...............or not. Our record against these is a bit chequered to say the least and has not been great for a while. But, this is the season for picking up points against sides we don't have a good record against. As long as they don't play the nemisis that is Akinfenwa. Has he retired? I thought he had. We can't really go down the "game management" excuse this time because Cooper has been booked at least 5 times this season for time wasting or game management. All teams do it now including us. Even Man City played an extra 13 minutes today.

Can we win? Well of course we can.

COYG

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I will now be watching this one at Son's. He recommended I take a change of clothes and a toothbrush. He is a bit on the cynical side though.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Grant, Gillesphey, Scarr, Wilson, Sessagnon, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Garrett, Jephcott.

Subs
    Burton, Broom, Ennis, Randell, Law, Crichlow, Craske.

No Edwards....that is a big miss.....the bench looks a little weak today.....this is going to be a hard match.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...McCleary...14mins.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...McCleary...31mins.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Fcuking typical....bottling out to them!!!

7. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Has Jephcott done anything, if not get him off!

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...H/T

Argyle not at the match yet.....Schumacher has his work cut out to revive them into fighting back.

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Don't think he said too much at moment lol!

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...F/T.

Last match to finish....99 minutes played.....but we knew that anyway......definately our bogey team.

If we stay in the play-offs we need to avoid them for sure.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

All the write ups suggest we were well beaten today.....no real threat on their goal.

If we get in the play-offs.....(and that isn't certain seeing who we have to play).....then we need to avoid Wycombe at all costs.

12. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Another no show....how many more ffs!!!

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

hp with all due respect you don't know what you are talking about. "Another no show". What the feck is that supposed to mean? Have you actually watched this team this season or is that just a gut reaction to today's result. They have been a very good team generally this season even if today they lost.

I will acknowledge that today we were second best. Not because Wycombe played us off the park but because for some weird reason Ainsworth always seems to be able to get us to play their game. Instead of bringing the ball down and playing proper football we resorted to hoofing it up the field a lot of the time, That plays into their hands all day long and they just defend it. When we did put the ball on the deck we looked reasonable. It's mind games with Ainsworth and he seems to win them every time. They were late starting at the beginning of the game. They were even later starting the second half. That in my view is deliberate. They did fall down a few times and take an age to restart the game at others but not excessively in my view. The Ref let them take throw ins from at least 10 yards or more in advance of where it should be and he also let so many things go which he should have blown for. But it's the Ainsworth hex that has done us again. I agree with one thing plymborn said. If we are to get into the play offs, and we deserve to, then we do not want to play Wycombe because psychologically we would be fecked before the ball is kicked. One mediocre game does not define a season though. We knew this run in would be difficult so why the angst if it doesn't pan out or goes to the wire.

14. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Wycombe were of course their usual scumbag cheating time-wasting selves. The referee seemed to be unaware of this and allowed virtually anything to go unpunished.

What’s less easy to understand is how Plymouth Argyle were unaware of it. Surely weve been done over by these enough times.

Woeful and if we can’t do better than that, we don’t deserve to go up.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Every team. and I do mean every with no exceptions, has a day when nothing happens for them. Today was one of ours but I cannot agree with the "if we can't do better than that then we don't deserve to go up". Despite today we have been as good as any others all season and deserve to go up if it should happen. There is no fluke involved.

16. notDistantGreen

As you know, my statement comes from frustration and disappointment precisely because I know how good this team can be and indeed usually is.

I can live with the striker’s struggling. That’s a hazard of the job, but the usually excellent Cooper was culpable for the first, getting beaten at the near post from distance and the back 3, also usually excellent, never really contained the Wycombe forwards.

Wycombe did a good job stopping us with a high press, fair dos, but I’m also angry that Wycombe continue to prosper while playing that anti-football. I’d be ashamed of them if I was a fan of theirs and yet there they are on social media, trying to maintain winning is everything. Results are everything I agree but basing your entire game on organised cheating is morally wrong. Derek Adams played ugly football but I wouldn’t say it sank to the depths of organised cheating. I couldn’t believe Wilson put the ball out with the ref playing on when their guy went down with “cramp”. Cramp? A professional athlete with cramp 70 minutes in? There’s something wrong with the way they train.

Not having Ryan Hardie and Captain Joe Edwards is a blow of course but when you think we gave Chelsea something to think about for 120 minutes, losing badly to this lot is a bit of a come down. Stephen Schumacher has described the performance as “rubbish” so at least there’s no bullshit there.

Tough games to come. I’m gutted I missed getting tickets for Monday but we’re there for MK Dons.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  17. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Yes Sensible never watched the game but more going on people's remarks on other sites saying we were clueless. I knew from the start we would not get a point and the annoying question is we cannot EVER suss them out!

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Frustrating as it is we lost 3 points and that is all. We were made to be rubbish again. I know it's stupid over the years to believe one club is you nemisis. Different players for both sides yet somehow you just know what's coming. Wycombe have some decent players this season and they can play. I think this idea that they fall down a lot comes from history rather than now so much. I would also say that ALL teams now seem to game manage to a point no matter how much their supporters protest theirs doesn't. If your team is winning at the time then somehow it doesn't seem so bad. I repeat my previous that Cooper has been booked numerous times for time wasting. It's becoming our go to excuse.

Pasoti have people on there who just go from singing the praises from the rooftops to total despair and suicidal if we lose one or even don't win at times. There is no overall season picture just the memory of the latest game. As for Wycombe supporters saying the result is all that matters well it is isn't it. We would love our team to play brilliantly every game but we would also take the points if they don't. If we could guarantee 9 points from the last 3 games then we would forget the means and celebrate the points.

I commented yesterday that their two forwards were clearly decent class and have come from higher football. I wondered how they could afford players like that and we can't. I was told there is a parachute payment from the Championship to League One of £4m. If that is true I never knew that but it does sort of explain yoyo clubs like Barnsley a few years back, Peterborough and Rotherham. If you start out with £4m which is probably about a normal wage bill for a League one squad then you can double that with revenue earned. Pay the wages and they will come won't they.

19. notDistantGreen

There’s such a lot of crap talked out there isn’t there?

I saw a bunch blaming the entire defeat on Jephcott. Above all, he’s a striker who’ll score goals IF provided with good service in the box. He wasn’t.

Another group can’t understand why Mayor was replaced by Broom. I’d have thought it was obvious we weren’t able to play through to him as we do against teams that try to play themselves rather than just stopping us. He needs space to work that wasn’t there. Broom lacks Mayor’s skill but has a lot more running power which was needed if we had to go long to runners in behind. In fact, and with the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better to start with Broom.

20. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

We now have a reputable Dewsnip and co. but lagging as of late to me....let the remaining season more rely on different tactics, formations amongst the players will...can't do no worse. Remember the old boss at work lol...