1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Yeovil

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Close enough to matchday to open up a thread I think. So lets hear from somebody on what could possibly go wrong with this one as there is bound to be something.

Once more we are still on a sort of roll with results and Yeovil aren't. On paper, where we have all said at some point in the past football isn't played, we ought to get a result with this one but hands up those who ever think life is easy with the Greens. Last week we were a bit on the flat side even though we got a point in the end. Mid week we played most of a match against 9 men and only managed 2 goals. Most of us hoping our Bristol City friend is back I think. With Yeovil they seem to struggle every season and then go on a run themselves and pull it around. They get strange results at places they shouldn't. I never know what to make of them. They spent a long time nearly getting into the football league and I have to say I had a bit of a soft spot for them at that time. Willing them to do it. They then managed it and went bonkers by climbing up to the Championship . Then went bonkers falling back again. A very strange club indeed. Here's hoping anyway......

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I saw the weather forecast for tomorrow on the local news this evening. What the feck have we done to the weather gods. Every bleddy Saturday seems to have a rubbish forecast of wind and wet. I hope we don't get another one of those games spoilt by the ball only travelling in one direction. I've had a dose of the coughs and wheezes this last week and I could do without getting soaked tomorrow for my troubles.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Unable to follow todays game on laptop....going to Charlton with Son and Grandson....versus the mighty Rochdale....tickets only a fiver each for Div One football.....can't be bad.

4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Lovely morning in PL3. Bright sunshine, light winds and a little cooler. Latest forecast suggests a shower at half time so should be a perfect day for a resounding victory.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sunshine & showers during game so far - all PAFC but no goals approaching half time

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Great result....and suddenly we have the best goal difference in the league.....Doncaster the only other consistant side at present.

Just got back from Charlton ,who have changed dramatically in the last year or so.....very unhappy place at the moment...lost 1-0 to a Rochdale side who have won four on the trot, managed by a familiar name to greens.....Keith Hill.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

A pretty good performance saw argyle end up with a comfortable win and maintain their 5 point lead at the top of the table but with a much improved goal difference. A few eyebrows were raised with the inclusion of Spencer, Donaldson and Jervis in the starting line up, and the dropping of Goodwillie to the bench. DA clearly has a plan and with a squad with decent depth he can afford to give most of the players some match time.

Argyle started quite brightly, although for a while it looked like it might be a performance similar to Hartlepool. Main talking point of the first 30 mins was the very early booking for Fox. To be fair the booking could equally have gone to the Yeovil player-both went into a challenge out of control but the ref saw fit to book Fox. Apart from this, I thought the ref wasn't at all bad, a bit fussy on occasion and a few strange decisions, but one of the better performances this season.

Anyway, Spenser scored towards the end of the half followed by an identical strike by Jervis. One, both or neither might have been deflected, but both were good strikes. Poor defending saw Yeovil pull one back , 2-1 and game on.

The start of the second half saw Argyle under the pump and Yeovil really should have equalised. A couple of good saves by Luke and some rubbish finishing kept the score at 2-1 and Argyle suddenly had a purple patch where for 30 minutes they were simply outstanding. Carey curled in a goal of the season contender from 30 yards and Jervis put the match beyond any doubt. To be honest they could easily have had a couple more. Some of the football was the best seen at HP for a long time and Argyle ran out deserved winners.

Yeovil had a few chances and Argyle's defence looked less than secure at times. Sponsors MOTM was Spencer and for once I agree. Shout outs as well for Carey(the goal was worth that), Luke, Fox and Jervis.

DA's ability to introduce Tanner, Threckland and Goodwillie as 2nd half subs speaks volumes about the difference between last season and this.

Tougher games coming up in the next month, but judged on today I don't think we need to fear anyone.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just to say that my MOM would go to Bradley who for me was outstanding throughout. He had a right tussle with their forward and in the end won the day. Did nothing wrong all game. The only one who for me didn't deserve to be on the pitch let alone playing was Donaldson. Thought he was poor. He was worse at challenging than Wylde was and hardly went past anyone. Apart from that the whole side did ok for once.

Think both first two goals were deflections. Deserved though so no real luck involved. The other two were outstanding by Carey but you just knew he was going to put it in and their keeper just stood and watched it go past. No chance of stopping it. The las an unselfish pass for Jervis to tap in.

The Yeovil goal was woeful defending yet again. For some reason Argyle seem to go to sleep for short periods and it leads to goals. Yeovil almost scored another identical one and missed a couple of sitters. These were cancelled out by a few Argyle chances not put away so even if they had all gone in it would have still been around 8 - 4 to us.

The lino on the Lyndhurst side was absolute rubbish again. I've seen him here before and he was rubbish then as well. Constantly behind play and didn't see a thing unless instructed by the Ref. The Ref for me wasn't terrible but he was so inconsistent. Agree the Fox booking was poor decision. The challenges were identical so how can you book one and not the other. Couple of other challenges in the match were also identical and were allowed to pass. Could have given them a penalty for handball and could have given us a penalty for handball. Gave neither. 4/10.

I think lyndhurst is right in that for around 30 minutes in the second half we looked like champions. We weren't bad for the rest of the match as well but some of the people sat around me were moaning constantly. This was wrong and that was wrong even when we were coasting it. Thing is I believe that this side has something about it. They are not going to look like Barca or play like them and will look quite poor at times. But, and this is the point of it all, the results still come. They can get a result even a not convincing one and results are everything. We may not like what we see all the time but playing pretty never won promotion in this league. Pleased with today.

9. notDistantGreen

I know Yeovil aren't doing well but I said a while back that sooner or later we'd give someone a real lerrupping. We seem to have done that in parts of yesterday's game.

Key to that compared to the start of the season was getting the strikers scoring. Jervis has got 4 so far and Spencer has now scored in successive games. We need Goodwillie to start chipping in but maybe his off-field problems are affecting him.

I didn't go yesterday (although have tickets for Portsmouth) and given the stats up to half time it was unbelievable that Yeovil managed to score. We won't be able to let soft goals in against the better teams but hopefully we'll get something at Stevenage and be ready for a real test against Pompey.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the goals on the box again and was wrong for the first. It wasn't a deflection. Good finish. The Carey goal looked ordinary on the box but it was a great finish in real time. You missed a very good performance notdistant.

If you remember the Pompey game last season it was the first of the season. They got 2 very soft penalties. One might have been proper but the other was a joke. We got nothing of course and it took about 40 games to get a penalty for. We had several more than healthy shots for one in that game. We did not play well however and Pompey did look like champions that day. No sour grapes in the fact we lost but it was the manner in which they got their goals that irked me. Balance of play they won but scoreline was definately down to the Ref. They are still so inconsistent though. I'm sure they will get their act together and surely can't have yet another season like the last couple. They may well beat us who knows but will they finish above us is the most important question. Not on current form. The Pompey game will be interesting to say the least. Mind you no doubt we will lose other games we don't expect to. This is league 2 after all.

11. notDistantGreen

Just watched the clip also - great stuff. Are we beginning to get there?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

How did that Yeovil goal not get cleared......gently rolled right across the box with at least two or three defenders close to it.

13. notDistantGreen

Have to look at our right back there I think, must have gone to sleep.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think they all went to sleep. It was a slowmo moment, Not sure all of them were hoping somebody else would put a boot on it but facing their own goal nobody wanted to score an own goal.

I keep saying that this side have something about it. It's not luck because no side can be that lucky every game. They seem to just be able to do the business. No stars, well not much in that way Carey excepted. No huge standouts week in week out. Just a reasonable side that get there. I've still got good vibes about this season as I have had since day one. Reminds me so much of Sturrock's side.

15. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

A good win, with one error providing a soft goal for Yeovil.

We soaked up the pressure second half and took our chances well.
    Stevenage are up and down so we should hopefully take all the points this weekend - then we have the first Dockyard Derby (which should be an interesting affair).

COYG.