1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Versus Yeovil

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jan 31, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

To be fair, we've scored from a free kick too. A high proportion of goals do come from dead balls. The trick though is to score yours but not to concede at the other end. People are saying that the last 7 we've let in have all come from dead balls.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ergo all the more reason to practice them then notdistant. My son pointed out to me a while back that Argyle cannot take throw ins. We hardly ever come away with the ball no matter where on the pitch the throw is. Other teams seem to manage it somehow but Argyle don't much. It's the same with dead ball situations. Our defence used to be solid at defending and now they are soft everytime there is a free kick or corner. I now have to cover my eyes when the opposition get a corner because I am dreading the outcome. It is easy to make a mistake. Nobody is immune to that. Where it becomes incompetent is doing it over and over again and never seeming to learn anything.

3. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

To be honest never felt over confident before game started. ...one of those games you could have put your life savings on lol!

4. notDistantGreen

We've conceded only 11 goals away from home all season, including the 2 last night. That's bettered only by Luton on 10. Doncaster have conceded 22 away goals and Carlisle 21.

To look on the bright side, we don't give many away from open play....

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Why cant we defend the way we did against Liverpool, i know they scored from a corner.. but the remainder was great..

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The problem is that if we don't learn from these errors then our goal against tally is going to grow. As I said it's not once or twice we make the mistakes lately it's over and over and Adams needs to do something about it. It's not a crisis but I don't want it to become one.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

have faith he will sort it out..

8. notDistantGreen

Two things:

1. We don't put a man on the back post at dead balls.

2. Against Liverpool, it was very noticeable the players had been told not to dive into tackles and so concede free kicks near the goal. It might frustrate the fans but should we do that all the time?

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

See it isn't rocket science is it. Just takes a bit of thinking about then practice what you decide will work. We know that a player will go to ground at the first opportunity in or around the box. Therefore don't give them the opportunity in the first place. We know that they will have seen putting a player on McCormick will cause him a problem. Fall down then McCormick before the ball is played. The Ref will sort it out. Fire with fire. We know they score from the back post. Plug the gap as you suggest notdistant. Now if we know it watching, what does Adams not see that we do? The same error occurs over and over. As I said, they have to practice not letting it.

10. notDistantGreen

Well if those ideas are acceptable, why not leave Slew and/or Jervis on the halfway line? That will keep a couple of theirs busy.