1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Villa v United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So, next game is a legaue game away to our cup opponents, who look a tidy side if we're honest.

I thnk their 'domination' of that game was a bit overblown myself, it was end to end and open, so they had a lot of shots. Not much end product though.

That said, very well organised team and will be difficult to beat (notice I said beat, not not lose!).

A good few payers had a rest on Tuesday so hopefully they come back in, notably Sancho, Ronaldo and Maguire.

For me, Rashford, Lindelof and Greenwood drop out, all of whom were poor on Tuesday. Not so much Greenwood, but I'd still play Sancho ahead of him.

Greenwood stays in if Cavani dropped.

If Maguire not fit and Jones is, Jones should replace Lindelof.

Personally, I'd like to see a back three of AWB, Maguire and Varane, with Shaw and Sancho as the wing backs. Bit left field but there you go. Rangnick not once tried this formation though, so pie in the sky I guess.

I actally think we'll win, and start to show some form going forward.

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

4-2-3-1

After we got outplayed in the last game against the same oppo with this formation. By about 30 mins we'll be under the kosh again.

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you may well be right. His team selections are baffling

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The problem is he's doing what you wanted. Which is to not change what Ole was doing. It's the same formation with 2 DM's.

What I don't get is why he either goes 4-2-2-2 or goes full tilt Ole? When he can simply play 4 fcking 3 -3.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

That could just as easy be a 4 3 3 with those players though.

Matic at the base, Fred and Fernandes either side and then the front three.

It at least seems fluid.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Although admittedly it probably won't be.

With those two full backs, plenty of attacking overlap.

Hopefully!

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Good start.

But then good start on Monday and that fizzled out.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Fred is definitely playing higher up with Bruno.

Chief likes this.
  9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Glad it's not just me.

Diego likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Pathetic performance yet again. Gifted 2 goals and still couldn’t close the game out. Why bother with substitutions if they are going to be made at the 88th minute?

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I don't even want to analyse this **** anymore lol. We're soft as fck.

Christiansmith, cytrax and Diego like this.
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Said it before and will say it again, we need two competent (fit) CBs.
    Now you might see why various managers have used 2 holding mids, yes today we moved Fred up along side Bruno and looked much better going forward but totally **** at the back.
    Varane has been great when younger but too slow for the PL, Lindeloff not good enough, Maguire not good enough, Bailly good enough but made of chrystal.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think there's also an element of none of the holding midfielders being good enough on their own to protect the back 4 so they're being doubled up. Yes the CB's are weak, but yesterday when you're 2-0 up you CONTROL the midfield and see the game out. Our midfield isn't capable of doing that, and hasn't been for at least 2 years.

The knock on effect, is that when the CB's aren't great, all you do is add more pressure to that and cause a nervousness and panic to set in. It's almost as if mentally, they expect it every game. I bet they think "oh ****" as soon as the opposition pushes through our midfield.

Diego likes this.
  14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We've never replaced Roy Keane. Never even come close.

Paul Ince took over Bryan Robson and Keane took over from Ince. After that, it stopped. Hargreaves could have, but was glass.

It is a crucial position on the field and, until that's sorted, we'll remain ****e.

I agree with Trebs, I don't think it's so much the centre of defence that's the issue.

It's that crucial CM position. McTominay, Fred and Matic aren't it. Not even close.

I don't even think it's a 'holding' CM we're missing. It's that dynamic box to box general.

You know what, Ander Hererra would be just the ticket right now.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Agree it's not a holding midfielder we need. It is a box to box mf.

I think those qualities we lacked post-Keane/Ince/Robbo was made up for in a different way by Carrick. Although not reliant on his tackling, he made up for it in spades by his positional play and ability to intercept passes and read the game and close down channels. Although not renowned for driving forward, he made up for it with his vision and the ability to pick a pass to pretty much anyone on the pitch.

I've said this before, and I'm convinced of it, I believe Carrick and Phelan tried to recreate the midfield of Carrick + Fletcher using Fred and McTominay and failed miserably because neither are anywhere near the quality of them two.

We have to go back to finding a single CM who can protect the back 4 and pose a threat going forward. If it's Bissouma or Rice or someone Rangnick has an eye on so be it, but it needs to happen.

Diego likes this.