1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Villareal v Liverpool CL SF L2

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Solid_Air 2, Apr 30, 2022.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

BTW I have said this on many threads now.

If a side presses up on our cbs with 2 forwards they can blow our game wide open.

Every side i see surrender the half to us loses or at the very very best gets lucky on a hoof down field.

Press our cbs and get them faces the wrong way and suddenly we have no outballs on.

2. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

The way I'm looking at it, we were magnificent for 45 minutes.

THE FOOL likes this.
  3. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Two issues last night, they pressed the cbs and fab which meant we couldn't do our passing round the back thing.

But we didn't help ourselves by the full backs and centre midfield ****ing off right up the pitch so there was no outball for anybody.

Start of the second half they where alot closer together and although the press wasn't as frantic, because there was players around, a few quick, short passes and we where out.

Tactically and emotionally we didn't do ourselves any favours last night.

Bumps and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  4. moreinjuredthanowen

Absolutely any team who wants a template how to beat us got it last night.

Sitting back is pointless. If you press the **** out of the 3 you say with just 3 or 4 players you'll absolutely kill us as the cbs will be forced back and turned round

5. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I'm unsure,

I think there approach took us by suprise, however it shouldn't have took us 45 minutes and a klopp half time talk inorder to get our act together.

It wasn't just the press that was our out doing, the panic that flew threw the backline was evident. Even if they did have time on the ball they immediately hoofed it up the field. All composure disappeared.

Usually a team pressing like that would be suicide, wed escape the press and have four flying at the defence, that never occurred though because our composure evaporated.

I think even if villareal could have kept up the press with the same ferocity in the second half it wouldn't have mattered. Klopp had got hold of them and calmed them down. Tweaked the positions, we found the gaps and God forbid actually started to play passes to each other.

Worrying that it took until half time, but glad it occurred.

Bumps and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  6. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

We were, but we put it right. We've beaten City in one cup game. No reason we can't do it again <ok>

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  7. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

The 200 million euro question is:
    Is this decline permanent or merely a blip?

Sell now, or keep trying to sign a contract. Would be a massive mistake to give him £400k a week if he has lost his edge... But if this is but a blip, would be terrible to let him go.

8. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

How many times this season have we been bad in the first half only to come out a better team in the second?

I only worry in second half of games now.

THE FOOL and saintKlopp like this.
  9. saintKlopp

Yep. I always know we can turn it on. If it gets to the hour mark and we still haven't, then I start to feel a bit anxious.
    We'd obviously woken up from the start of the second half, and in reality we only needed the one goal so I was happy we were going to turn it round.
    We were helped by a dismal performance from their goalie, who I thought was dodgy in the first leg too.

10. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

He's a waste of space, got really lucky in the first leg that some awful goalkeeping wasn't punished.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

I meant villareal in the final would be a walkover for the others. that would be intensely frustrating to see city headed a 4-0 easy win in the CL final and all the plaudits for the whole year.

At least this way we have a chance at denying the oil doper press love in.

I don't mind the press hating on us all the time but to be licking the arses of state doping and worker abuse so you can praise and pat pep on the head is just wrong.

12. saintKlopp

This is a question of Shakespearian proportions. He has been truly great for us over the last few years, but he was never at that level beforehand and he could possibly return to his previous standard.
    All along I've been of the opinion that we sell him rather than give in to the £4ook demand, and I see no reason to change my mind on that now.
    I'd love him to stay, but only if an agreement can be reached that suits both parties.

THE FOOL, M!LK and Bumps like this.
  13. saintKlopp

Is he their first choice? I haven't seen much of him, but from what I have he's nowhere near the level required if they expect to keep competing.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

Salah.

you are talking about 30 goals and 15 assists for a 29 year old not a 34 year old.

You are talking about a player who was flogged to death by egypt in the ACON then bought back again in world cup qualifier and flogged again.

249 games. 155 goals 62 assists. or in other words 249 games 217 goal involvements.

he had splayed 3755 minutes this season for us. pleased every second of the ACON for egypt (4 120mins, 3 90mins = 750mins right there)

Our players minutes are:

alisson: 4320 mins
    VVD: 4260 mins
    Trent: 3755
    Salah: 3755.
    Robbo 3647

mane is down on 3460 (still massive)

This guy is the ultimate professional but he's been flogged here.

think on this next season we have a 6 week break for the world cup. Guess who is NOT going. Mo salah ( and diaz) I think if we want to win things next year. The people not going to the world cup will be the guys to do it for us!

Seriously look at the goals and assists THIS season and tell me this guy is slowing down. he's been flogged as a player in the internationals

15. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

No think he’s their back up

saintKlopp likes this.
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

btw.

Jota is out of form/rhythm or whatever klopp would call it. they are only human lads. he'll score more for us in future.

mane was dogshite and was absolutely pants v Newcastle and missed another similar before scoring today but not getting as much critique.

salah wants a big payday. thats no reason to doubt his importance to us

17. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Two small observations - 1. someone needs to have a word with Konaté about his positioning when holding the line. I've noticed a few times, including for both their goals last night, that his stance has him a foot (as in body part not measurement although it probably amounts to the same thing) further forward resulting in him playing the opposition onside on each occasion. It's a small adjustment to make but it will make a big difference.

2. Did anyone else notice how emotional Diaz was at fulltime? It means a lot to him.

18. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

We have plenty of cover for Salah if he does leave. So perhaps the riskier choice would be to keep him.

Yeah, wouldn't want to lose such a talent, but we have good backup...

19. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Not really at RW though.

Lw - diaz mane
    cf - jota mane firmino
    rw - salah

Need a left footed wide player, Raphinha/adeyemi type

20. LuisDiazgamechanger

SADIO MANE has scored 15 goals for Liverpool in the knock out stages of the Champions League, equalling Frank Lampard as the player with most goals in the CL KO for English team.