1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Everton (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Oct 4, 2020.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

yep that was my soft signal thing from cricket which is for dubious catches and umpires after the event give the signal and the VAR equivalent must see a definite error to overturn .

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Don't care about the lean, just make it a black and white line rather than trying figure out where the players armpit/sleeve would be if on the ground (which they're yet to master btw)

3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I said then too. But back then I was more for not having VAR at all

4. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

i still am .

Zanjinho likes this.
  5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Well, same but unfortunately it's not going anywhere now we've got it.

6. Mr Beej

Mr Beej Well-Known Member

VAR has been designed and is implemented by human beings. It inevitably reflects human characteristics so will always be flawed!

Zanjinho likes this.
  7. O'l Gravy Leg.

O'l Gravy Leg. Well-Known Member

they should use a thicker line to represent 1 foot on the pitch, and start it at the last defender, if the attacker is not protruding through the other side of line, then not offside.

It would be very easy to see any body part protruding out the other side, and because of the line's width, in cases where players are very close, then those will be always onside being within a foot of each other, no more 2 inch offsides.

I honestly think that would work well, the Mane offside, by rules legitimate, but for football, soul destroying

Diego likes this.
  8. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I agree with that, however if the ball goes out of play from a shot the offside should be checked quickly and then given it was off.

Might not have happened yet, but going to be a case where shot is saved for a corner, and they score from a corner. Where would have been better for defending team to just let the original shot in.

9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It's happened plenty of times but never focus on

saintKlopp likes this.
  10. saintKlopp

There's the fatal flaw in your logic. :)

There's another problem scenario imo.
    Imagine: attacker is through on goal, defender looks for flag (they always do) sees none so chases attacker and throws himself into a desperate last-ditch challenge - someone gets injured. Or keeper comes out and someone gets clattered with the same result.
    Is it really worth it? The need for this level of precision is entirely gratuitous I think - "we have the tech and we're gonna use it". The whole purpose of offside has been lost to an obsessive need to "get it right".

Zanjinho likes this.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I would have it the other way, have a foot wide line going back from the defenders furthest body part and if the attacker still has a part in that line he is on side.
    The onside rule was brought in to stop people gaining "unfair advantage", it is not unfair for an attacker to be quicker of thought/action or running than a defender so the present off side implementation is total ****.

I would also stop the **** of defenders who can't defend running towards the ball at free kicks to leave attackers off side, if you win a free kick it's because you have had an offence committed against you and you should be allowed to kick the ball into the area that you want, in the current circumstances the defenders don't even bother defending they just run away from the strikers to leave them off side giving defenders an "unfair advantage" at the oppositions free kick. Total bullshit.

Big Sam spotted this flaw in the law and was the first to utilise it with Bolton way back when.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The fact that this is being discussed is pretty sad.

Zanjinho and Diego like this.
  13. O'l Gravy Leg.

O'l Gravy Leg. Well-Known Member

True

The game's going a few years, you'd have thunk they'd have sorted the rules already

Diego and luvgonzo like this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nope, if the flag doesn't go up you play the game (don't even look for a flag, that's why VAR is there), so the reaction should be no different than it was before when a flag didn't go up.

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

All you're really doing is moving the line. It doesn't really matter where you place the line, they'll still be looking at millimetres via VAR.

Diego and saintKlopp like this.
  16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Exactly this! Offside is to stop goal hangers. It doesn't need to be precise, it's needs eliminate attackers getting a unfair advantage.

If technology can be used in a similar way to goal line technology (instant decision) then fine. Anything that takes time to review, no!

17. saintKlopp

You're missing the point. Whether or not they look for a flag (I just threw that in), an unnecessary injury can occur when the game should have been stopped.

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Agree with both. You are taught as a young kid to play to the whistle. I'd have got a rollocking if I'd have been caught looking for a flag!

However, also agree with Saint that unnecessary risk is being taken beyond the "decision point". Therefore, decisions need to be instant.

Diego likes this.
  19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Or a possible goal could be denied when the game shouldn't have been stopped?

20. saintKlopp

Which is worse?