1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Fulham (H)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Mar 4, 2021.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Home loss

3. Home loss

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

I would like to add a new thought, why don't we play Fabinho in midfield? We looked much better with him back there.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You keep pushing this but I'm yet to see anything that resembles a defensive mindset from Keita bar half decent positioning. He can maintain possession (when not given time to think) and find a pass but not seem much else.

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that he's a tough tackling midfielder like Fabinho. I'm talking more about nicking in and winning the ball, picking up loose balls, pressing at the right times. Will have to find the stats but he is technically our best presser.

What made us so good over the past 2 years is that we pressed with intensity and with discipline. A lot of fans think that gegenpressing is just see ball, chase ball. It's far more technical that that - it's about setting traps, pressing the right player at the right time, pressing in groups. It's very structured and methodical and it's no wonder we have struggled because key components of that system are missing i.e. Fabinho and Hendo. It's why the front 3 look isolated because they can't press without the support behind them. As mentioned earlier, Jones and Thiago are new to the system and Gini is not a big presser but just good at holding positions.

4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I know what you meant, I'm just not seeing it. He rarely puts a foot in but assumed he accepts he's not a great tackler so decided to focus on better positioning. He takes up good defensive positions but when caught out, he doesn't bust a gut to get back in. When he does try to get back, he looks like he's towing a caravan. I'll give you the pressing though, he does lead by example at times.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

True - he isn't and won't ever by that destroyer in midfield. Fabinho is a monster and he is that player for us. The key is to surround Fabinho with guys who press and win those loose balls as a result of Fab's tackles. This is why Naby and Hendo excel.