1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread vs Liverpool in the Naughty Moose Cup

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by GozoCanary, Sep 18, 2021.

?

Who will go on to the next round?

1. Norwich

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Liverpool

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I was hoping that I would create this thread amid blossoming new hope after we had comfortably dispatched Watford. After the 1-3 defeat, I recognise that most people probably don't give a damn any longer about this game because they feel sure we are on our way to an embarrasingly poor season, and a 'plucky' performance against Liverpool which ends with defeat will just elicit a huge sigh of 'what's new?'.

Our Carabou Cup run began with a 6-0 defeat of Bournemouth, who are currently the unbeaten leaders of the Championship. It begs the question of why we are so woeful in the Prem and so imperious in the Champs. (Answers on a postcard, please.)

I think I read that our record against Liverpool over the last 15 games is 13 defeats and two draws, with the scousers scoring more than three goals per game, so a victory would be a major result in one sense, but do we really care about this game?

It seems to me that the only point of this game is to try to find some sort of line-up that works as an integral unit. (And, if Tzolis really is a wonder kid, play him FFS.)

Sorry if this is a negative match thread, but I think you have to be honest and say things how you see them. After my glorious introduction to the role of match thread creator with a 6-0 victory, it will almost certainly be my last thread in the Moose Cup in any case.

zogean_king likes this.
  2. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Point. of order. A carrabuh is a buffalo not of the deer family. Big changes again, or the same team to get use a to playing together?

3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I’m torn - play a really strong team and pick some momentum? Get a good cup run and get relegated? Imagine a cup win in those circumstances! I’d take three relegations for that.

But trying to stay up will probably be the priority, so maybe rotation is the order of the day and accept we get thumped by the scousers, forget about the cup.

4. Jedi-Canary

Jedi-Canary Active Member

We will get stuffed 5-0, can not score (except for Pukki) and cannot defend!<grr>

5. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Live on Sky folks.
    Should be some good streams

Canary Spring likes this.
  6. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Depends on how strong a Liverpool side turns up on Tuesday, but the result looks inevitable. Some of the stats involving DF are quite damaging. Just can’t get my head round how successful he was in Championship and how poor he is in the PL.

7. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

It happens in all professions - people get promoted above their level of ability and thus fail at the higher grade. Saw that many times when I was working and I think Farke’s ability level and comfort zone is in the Championship.

8. GozoCanary

You're right, a carabao is a kind of water buffalo, which I didn't know. I was playing around with the idea of caribou, kind of reindeer (I have found different info online about whether it is just a different name for the same animal called the moose, or whether it is a slightly different subspecies).

For those who didn't recognise my not very funny 'naughty moose' reference, this comes from the German episode of Fawlty Towers where, at the end, the Major is seen by the Germans hitting the moosehead and saying 'No, you hit HIM on the head, you naughty moose!' Then one of the Germans says, 'However did they win?'

I was trying to be smartass and failed. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Sadly for us, maybe it should be 'Whenever will they win?'

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  9. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

That's called "the Peter principal" ocf.

10. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Liverpool 2nd XI will turn up @ CR.

11. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Farke should play a defence and midfield that he wants to gel, the front three could be anyone if they want to give Pukki a rest

12. Bure budgie

Got to play your strongest team, and build some cohesion and confidence

zogean_king and CitySlicker2010 like this.
  13. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Reluctantly, I'm coming round to the same conclusion. The alarm bells really started ringing with Project Restart when, having had three months to analyse what we lacked and how best to adjust tactically, instead of a coherent Plan B there appeared to be no plan at all.

zogean_king likes this.
  14. GozoCanary

Yes, except in football you get sacked very quickly if you get promoted beyond your level of ability. In my experience, in the corporate and academic world, at least at middle management level, you just get shunted to somewhere you can't do much harm.

zogean_king likes this.
  15. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

The main optimistic point I have to say about Farke’s tenure is that, in all seasons under him, including in our best two seasons winning the championship, we have started the league very badly.

So, for me, he’s got roughly a dozen matches and we need to get at least 16 points from those to put us back in survival zone. Here’s how we might do that:
    Everton away LOSE
    Burnley away DRAW
    Brighton home DRAW
    Chelsea away LOSE
    Leeds home WIN
    Brentford away DRAW
    Southampton home DRAW
    Wolves home WIN
    Newcastle away WIN
    Tottenham away LOSE
    Man U home LOSE
    Aston Villa home WIN

So bear in mind we’ve got more pain to come if it plays out like that… I suspect more fans will be panicking if we are in two points after nine matches, but the reality is we are and still would be only three points (ie Watford at home) behind what we probably would have expected to get if you did a rational map of wins/draws/losses against each team with the aim of getting to 40 points.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

If we were in the Championship this would have been a great boost to see how we do against one of the big boys but we have already played them and got humped leaving Farke with the headache of not being able to play do many fringe players that did so well against Bournemouth.

Our record against Liverpool is abysmal so mot too hopeful even if they put out their kids.

17. GozoCanary

Be interesting to see what Farke does. As fans, we've gone from complaining that he never changes the side to a situation where each line-up feels like a lucky dip.

Personally I'd be interested to see how we play if, as against Bournemouth, Gilmour doesn't start, because it seems like we are trying every which way to fit him in somehow and our best performance happened when he wasn't there (until the 71st minute, by which time we were 5-0 up).

I'm not saying this to rubbish Gilmour - the Euros showed that there is an excellent player in there. I hate the way packs of our fans on PinkUn suddenly turn on one player and start a vendetta (although I'd make an exception in the case of Naismith), but we did look a much more coherent unit in the Bournemouth game, even if the opposition was much weaker.

I'd love to see Sorensen tried again. OK, he's not flashy, but he seems very solid, and I feel that may be what the team needs right now - someone who goes quietly about their work and lets the other players express themselves (like Skipp).

18. Bure budgie

[QUOTE="GozoCanary, post: 15199489, member: 1016944"

I'm not saying this to rubbish Gilmour - the Euros showed that there is an excellent player in there. I hate the way packs of our fans on PinkUn suddenly turn on one player and start a vendetta (although I'd make an exception in the case of Naismith), but we did look a much more coherent unit in the Bournemouth game, even if the opposition was much weaker.
    .[/QUOTE]
    I certainly wouldn't rubbish ANY player who pulls on a City shirt, but genuine comments and observations are surely the best way to pass an opinion.
    Gilmour imo offers nowhere near as much to the team as Vrancic did.
    Mario was and is a far superior player.
    His distribution, tackling and free kick expertise far exceed anything I have seen from Gilmour.
    Time will tell, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I have my doubts.
    Never the less I will still cheer him on, whenever he pulls on that shirt.

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

Gilmore either needs to bulk up or play in a team like Chelsea where he's protected much better .

Watford proved that if you don't give us time on the ball , pull shirts leave a foot in and basically bully our young side we don't know what to do .
    We can't rely on referees to help us out .

I want to see our own players angry and yelling each other when we concede not just look at their feet and accept defeat .

I'm hoping Normann may have a bit of hard man in him but our team has been used to tippy tappy pretty football.

Premier league sides won't let us do that we need to battle.

Sorensen & Normann as a pair of holding midfielders to protect our leaky defence Gunny to start too .

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  20. DUNCAN DONUTS