1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Real Madrid (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Apr 3, 2021.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You think we'll keep a clean sheet?

Prince Knut likes this.
  2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

doesnt mean we have to. But means 3-1 takes it ET or 4-1 wins it.

Without that we’d have to win by 4 goals.

Zanjinho likes this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah bu i think grealish will be in that channell for the hoof over the top. why would villa risk any sort of issues with their shovel foots at the back. hoof it into that channel and use watkins and grealish (is he fit again) in that specific channel.

We are not showing the team work to shut this stuff down.

I think personally that we have a worldie in doal so trent needs to tuck right in and we need to narrow up the line when not in possession. Just let side have it wide and if they shoot alisson form a narrow angle is not easy to beat.

By opening the entire right full back channel up all someone needs to do is get it over phillips head and its a goal. At least force them wide.

Prince Knut likes this.
  4. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

I think Klopp thinks Real won't score at Anfield because it's a proper ground and not just a training arena. Let's see where this one goes...:emoticon-0138-think

Zanjinho likes this.
  5. Prince Knut

Which is great, as they have absolutely no chance of scoring at Anfield because it's a real stadium. Oh, wait....

6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Only a tit would rule out you lot turning around a CL deficit at home, but you’re defo up against it. Your home form is wretched so you need to pop that balloon vs Villa this weekend imo.

Tbh I expected you to win last night, as from what I’ve seen of Madrid this season they’ve looked a shadow of their former selves, with their key players now all in their mid 30’s. So that front foot performance from them last night was a surprise to me.

7. Prince Knut

I was cringing when all three pundits on BT, including Rio, were saying that as well before the game last night. The truth of the matter is - and I said this after the Arsenal game when everyone was getting carried away again - our whole defence, not just the rookie CB's, are very, very vulnerable. Yes, Madrid's old midfield are there to be pressed - that we don't do anymore - but given time and space they will show their class on the ball. City swamped them last season: we gave them the ball and said 'Go on, see what you can do'. And, though he didn't score, I've always rated Benzema, especially up against our flakey defence.

So call me a tit - even if we get two goals in the return at Anfield there is absolutely zero chance that Madrid won't score at least two at Anfield, maybe more. Our only hope is that ref has a shocker like the one at City last night and, given he missed that blatant foul on an otherwise comatose Mane, there is a 5% chance that could happen. Just can't be definite it would go our way though.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We'll have to score five after they get two too

Prince Knut likes this.
  9. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Any chance we can postpone the second leg until after restrictions have eased? That would help massively. Ta.

Prince Knut and johnsonsbaby like this.
  10. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

so 5-2 it is then <yikes>

Reality is that Real just need to sit deep. An early goal for us would help as 2-0 wins it but keeping them to scoring one goal will be a small miracle tbh. Best we can hope for imo is a 3-1 score. Personally, I cannot see past a Madrid win.

Prince Knut and Zanjinho like this.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I think it’s fair to say Zidane had done his homework, as despite some decent recent results, whilst you continue to play that high defensive line with 2 CB’s who lack pace and a RB who is often caught high up the pitch, the ball in behind or over the top remains your obvious Achilles heel.

The second leg will be interesting, if they score you’re done imo, but it’s not a given they’ll score despite last night’s performance. Klopp only wants you to play in one way, and there’s times when the personnel available and the opposition makes that stubbornness look inflexible and a tad self indulgent imo. There’s always a time for pragmatism imo, and he just seems incapable of accepting that.

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Story of the season really. Doing such good work, getting into the right position but the f*cking up the final ball

13. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I was amazed when we beat Arsenal away, and I was buzzing, but you always know nowadays we'll **** it up in the next match. We play Villa at home next and it's practically a given we'll lose or draw.

Prince Knut likes this.
  14. wishiwasinliverpool

We're just not winning at Anfield at the moment, though

15. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

That’s why the Villa match is so crucial, to burst that hoodoo. We have to win by hook or by crook.

16. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

O
    Every goal we conceded last night was totally avoidable. Imo, Doesn’t matter how you play if you make simple errors like that, against a top team, you will be punished. For me, it’s down to personnel - the issue is that we didn’t sign the quality that we needed to on Day one of the window.....why we didn’t is the question that needs to be answered and that may be that there wasn’t enough money or the right players didn’t want to come...it might well be that, because we were top, Klopp wrongly thought that he could manage....I doubt we’ll ever know but for me, that is the root cause of all of our problems and regardless of how Klopp sets us up for the rest of the season, if we repeat those mistakes, we will concede and probably lose again.

Prince Knut and Zorba like this.
  17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The problem with how you play is that if the high press isn’t carried out perfectly and you get a quality opponent in the middle of the park with a pacy forward to hit, you’ll get done in behind irrespective of who’s playing CB. It was happening before Van Dijks injury and it’s got worse since.

Diego likes this.
  18. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

indeed, we were always vulnerable to a well executed move but the benefits outweighed the risks, so to speak.

imo, not one of those goals happened in a full strength eleven though. All came from pretty basic mistakes.

19. wishiwasinliverpool

I agree, but every Anfield match that comes around there we sit with bated breath and it all goes up in smoke. Can't see it being any different this time

20. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

this is true but partially because over the last year our previous high line keeps creeping ever higher and remains that way despite losing all the pacy CB's .

Prince Knut likes this.