1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Real Madrid (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Apr 3, 2021.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. saintKlopp

please log in to view this image

lfcpower and luvgonzo like this.
  2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

We were able to deal with the majority of long balls over the top because we had defenders who were great in the air but also had pace and had great positioning. We did start to get caught out by these long balls but VVD and co would still be able to deal with the large majority of this.

By nullifying this threat, teams were forced to attack by others mean - either overcommitting men forward (which we would then counter) and score or try to play through us (good luck when we had Fabinho, Hendo and Gini blocking all the space).

Our entire defensive stability has been compromised by the loss of VVD, Gomez and Matip. Defence is a unit and it was great unit when you had Ali, VVD, Gomez / Matip and Fab in front. We often talk about the gulf in quality when we have to drop one of the front 3 and bring in Origi but we've done the exact same at centre back and we've had to do it week in week out for most of the season. Kabak has been good tbf but he's still a young lad and then you have Phillips who simply is championship level.

Now, none of this explains why the likes of Mane and Bobby are regressing. That is a separate issue but our attack is built on a solid defensive structure which allows us to commit men forward. If we're getting caught out my long balls over the top, it instantly puts us back under pressure.

Prince Knut and organic red like this.
  3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Anyone noticed how poor we've become since Lovren left? <whistle>

4. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

lets start a petition to get him back :bandit:

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  5. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

It's glaringly obvious. Actually you can throw Ings and Lallana in there too. Since they left, the injury gods have had to look elsewhere. :bandit: Although the effect on Salah is just down to Lovren.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  6. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

<laugh>

we thought Keita , Ox and shaqiri could pick up the injury slack :bandit:

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

We were so **** on so many levels in that first half.

Can't see us overturning it with no fans but can still hope.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

That first half was sickening but let's not forget our prior performances. We were on a mini run and started playing some decent football. Hopefully we can continue to build on it.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  9. saintKlopp

Bet he has.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I've not been as angry after a game as I was after this one for a while, although I think Mcmanaman commentating had a big contribution to that #****

Prince Knut likes this.

11. saintKlopp

I've said for a long time that Macca's commentary drives me nuts. I find most commentators dreadful, tbh - and them reeling out an endless line of stats peppered by their own opinions rather than commentating on the action is really irritating. Macca's the worst of a rather bad bunch for me though - it's as though he's never watched a football game before and his rising inflections as he goes through increasing stages of incredulity really grates.
    I'd sooner have Rat-Boy any day (God forgive me).

Prince Knut likes this.
  12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

The worst part from Tuesday's match was his insistence that what happened at the other end of the pitch (clear foul on Mane that should have seen a red card for the Real Madrid player) had no baring on us conceding a few seconds later <doh>

Him claiming it wasn't a foul on Mane despite the defender looking at Mane, having zero attempt at winning the call and just barging Mane over wasn't great either

Prince Knut and saintKlopp like this.
  13. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

That ****ing Lady Muck accent. The voice my mum used to put on when the vicar came around for tea. <doh>

14. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Did you notice he sort of went all Statler and Waldorf from 'It was never a foul', through "Okay yeah, it was clumsy, there was contact" to " Okay, he clearly fouled him and there was little effort to play the ball, but, er, er, other end of the pitch.." ?

It's not the reason we got beat on Tuesday, and it could have been more. But as, presumably, that could have been a sending-off, I'm surprised nobody in the media made much of it at all. Then again, I'm probably not.