1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Shrewsbury (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Jan 23, 2020.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. saintKlopp

I've said for years that I think we should take all of the main competitions seriously, and if you're in it you try to win it.
    However, the league has eluded us for so long that when we started to open up a gap I said I'd gladly chuck everything - including the CL - in order to win the bugger. Now that, barring the most extravagant of collapses, our name is writ large on the PL trophy then I think we might as well at least think about the possibility of the CL - but the domestic cups really can't be allowed to get in the way.
    The majority of teams in the country have sod all chance of ever being in this position, so I fully understand that to them the domestic cups are big news, and I'd like to see the competitions regain some of the glamour that they used to have.
    At the moment though, our attention has wandered, and I think it's understandable.
    It's ok for us to put out a weaker side, but I think Klopp should be there as well. He's never stopped complaining about fixture congestion since he came to this league, so he has been consistent there. Klopp is obviously the best thing to happen to our club in a long, long time - but he knew the job when he took it on, so he needs to just get on with it.
    The cups should still be important, but the ever-increasing global demands on top clubs mean that something has to give - and we can all see what it will be.

THE FOOL, johnsonsbaby and Libby like this.
  2. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I don't take it as a dig at all, it's your honest opinion.

Just a couple of thoughts. I realise that how you come to support the team you support is different for everyone and I intend no offence to anyone with these comments. I had no say in where I was born, that place being Liverpool. I started to support Liverpool when they were in the old 2nd division - no glory hunter me ;) The club's history is there for all to see and read so my next comment is - it's not my fault that Liverpool have become so successful, they could quite easily have gone down or into obscurity and I would still be supporting my team. They didn't go down and so we are where we are at this moment in time. I won't apologise for their success or my good fortune in being born where I was born.

All that said, yes you may be right that my view on the magic of the Cups is different to the lower league sides based on the standings of the clubs involved. I do know people who support the bigger teams who still love the Cups though so it doesn't really explain it. It also doesn't explain how I lost interest in the national team.

A cup is a cup and my overall view is that if you're in a competition you should try your best to win it. I would be delighted to win the FA cup but I would also want us to win the kickabout in the park trophy if there was such a thing. I just can't get excited about the domestic cups like I used to.

Maybe the more foreign players coming to the league altered our views; they had no real interest in domestic cups and didn't understand the heritage and that filtered down to the fans. We have some of the best players in the world in our league, it spoils you as fans and you want to see them play against the other best players in the world. It is becoming, if not already become, an 'us and them' situation; the elite versus the ordinary.

I've watched a lot of football and I honestly don't know whether the fighting spirit of 60's no substitute/ lead heavy ball/quagmire pitches/magic sponge football is or was more desirable than watching the football of today with some of the absolute best athletes in the world playing the game.

Bottom line: do I want the Shrewsburys of the footballing world getting a great payday and a run out at a ground they could only dream of? Yes. Do I want my team having one more extra game? Yes ...... but not at the expense of the players having an even longer run of playing every 3 days. All the extra games could very well shorten some of their careers with the toll on their bodies. And then back to your original point, it's the price you pay for being successful. It makes us look like spoilt children but just like we don't get a say in where we are born, we also didn't have any say in how successful our clubs became.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Bumps and THE FOOL like this.
  3. astro

astro Well-Known Member

@astro gets copied again

please log in to view this image

Garlic Klopp, Treble and Bumps like this.
  4. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

So I am seeing senior players who have hardly played for over 2 months struggling to get into the game. It is disappointing that we drew but those players were lacking match fitness and it showed. They should at least play the replay as they have been on holidays since they got injured. No complaints from me.

Other than that, United won we drew Diego stinks the place up

5. johnsonsbaby

Here's a thought why not have the cup replays at the weekend and reschedule the league games. It's conveniently our game against Southampton. Newcastle v Norwich and Norwich aren't going to be bothered. Spurs v city, Pep's spoken out about the replays so he shouldn't complain either.

6. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

If we win the replay we are away to Chelsea

7. johnsonsbaby

Shrewsbury fans probably trying to get their tickets as we speak :bandit:

Bumps likes this.
  8. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

A few people have mentioned that Klopp is setting a 'dangerous precedent' here

Personally, the dangerous precedent being set is from the FA who feel they can insisit on a welbeing break in February, only to then take that away for those clubs who tied in the fourth round. I believe that footballers are the most ridiculous, pampered, over-hyped and over-paid prima-donas around but even they need their mental health breaks like the average person. That includes managers too who never switch off from the game and the pressures. Particularly in a time where the leagues are trying to push mental heath awareness through different medias, this belittles that whole drive and shows either they're not serious about it or don't consider it important.

I think it's paramount that managers like Klopp stick to their guns on this and take them on their initial word. It's the FA who need to change in their approach and scheduling, not the teams they govern.

9. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Hilarious draw :)
    Don’t even need to try
    Let’s play the under 15s :) :)

10. johnsonsbaby

You've put it more eloquently but I've been saying the same thing all day.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<laugh> <applause>

12. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

The big bonus though is that the media, and especially the tabloids, are reverting back to Liverpool hatred. Good. They've spent most the season trying to downplay us with bogus VAR ****e - even journo supporters of teams like Uniturd who've benefitted from it more than us. But really, in the last few weeks or so, there's been nowhere to go but praise, and frankly, hearing gobshites like Sutton, Savage and Shearer having to sing our praises through gritted teeth has moved from humorous to skin-crawling.

Press the re-set button: I want to celebrate winning the league knowing it really is getting up their collective snout. Little Ole's having a good cup run and is getting the easy draws - get on his bandwagon again you ****bags - we don't want you on our parade.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

FA Cup draw was rigged AF

Don't know why they even bother with the balls

* Record Points Total likes this.
  14. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

On a side note, who gives a sh!t when you're winning champions leagues and leading the premier league

organic red, Zanjinho and Sucky like this.
  15. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Would be nice to do the treble while breaking the pl record and retaining the cl.

Pretty much covers all angles of wummery forever :bandit: not that thats important of course.

* Record Points Total and Bumps like this.
  16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They'd just claim all of Europe it's ****...

Solid_Air 2, ademuzzy and Sucky like this.
  17. Lucas Talking

Lucas Talking Well-Known Member

The FA cup is the only prestigious silverware City are likely to get this year so will go all out for it. Let them focus on it whilst we smash PL and CL

18. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Yeh but thats easy to deal with then

7 times! :bandit:

Zanjinho likes this.
  19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Three PL's in a row should shut them up too... 21:7 v 20:2

:bandit:

Sucky likes this.
  20. johnsonsbaby

I guess we will have VAR in the replay so if it's a similar game we win 3-1 <whistle>