1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VVD and Fonte: one of best CB pairings in EPL

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Oct 6, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

2. fran-MLs little camera

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Any article starting, "For all his Liverpool deficiencies .." Is going to be worth a read. :)

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  4. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I begin to feel sorry for Dejan! If we are the sharp operators in the market, Liverpool's record makes them the complete numpties. Take a good player, pay over the top and watch them slide. Poor old Rickie is off to West Brom (West Brom!), probably because it suits his family to not move again; Lallana was one of our genuine players that we could see doing well elsewhere - well that worked out well, and now Clyne looks a shadow of his former self. And as for Lovren. An Evertonian mate of mine said to me recently that he thought DL had been good for us, but now realised that playing in a back 4 with Shaw, Clyne and Fonte, with Boruc in goal and behind Victor and Morgan was a straight forward job. Trying to marshall the Liverpool defence is like herding cats. That Reds fans are celebrating the fact he's injured sums it up.

As for Sheaer's comments, it's easy to forget the odd mistake and one huge clanger (step forward Osvaldo), but generally we seem to be making OK players look good again. Who was fighting us to get Graziano, Sadio or Virgil, to name but three? There were one or two sniggers behind the hand when we bought a clapped out Dutch keeper to fill the jersey until Fraser is fit. Koeman is a genius, of course, but there is one hell of a team behind those scenes. Proud times to be a Saint and I'm loving it.

garysfc, manxsaint, hotbovril and 4 others like this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Still annoyed by his behaviour, but must say, his performances have been very good.

7. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

8. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

They do of course need some sort of crap to spout, in order to get something right come season's end. All the pundits who predicted our relegation last season all predicted Chelsea as title-winners this season, I'm sure. Nonsense industry, really. Guess as long as we see it for what it is - entertainment - then it's no big deal that they know no more than the average working man.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well, an example is watching MOTD. Every week nearly all of us have the opportunity to watch the 90 minutes of Saints playing later on in the evening, after the match, and several of us do that. But the vast majority watch MOTD to view 5-10 diluted mins of action and 10 minutes of the pundits talking about the team we beat. When you look at it in that perspective perhaps we ought to re-consider our supporting motives and what entertains us. Truth is, with the match over, many people actually don't want to watch much more football, even if they never saw any live. They just want to see people talking about it. Personally, I think that's quite odd and I watch MOTD too. Just not instead of the real thing first.

10. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

It still makes me wonder why it took so long to get the VVD transfer to go through. If we had just paid a little extra and got him in earlier, then we might be a few points better off, and still in the Europa League.

11. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

Celtic played hardball when we bought Victor and Frasier....probably no different with VVD.

12. fran-MLs little camera

Pundits just give their opinion (the same as we do)....hardly surprising that they can disagree with each other and us. One day we may get analysis by computer and we'd all be expected to take it as gospel...not as entertaining as quibbling with what a real human being thinks.

13. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/0...-celtics-biggest-problem-claims-van-dijk-tra/

Neil McCann says that Celtic are already missing Virgil....they definitely wanted to keep him, especially when trying to get through in the CL. That held everything up....just as we're playing hardball with Mane and Victor.

14. fran-MLs little camera

15. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

'In five games with Southampton I've learned more than in years before.'

I feel a lot of rage up north! <laugh>

16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be when you think that two of his games involved Manchester United and Chelsea.