1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

walter looking for new faces

Discussion in 'Rangers' started by menniet4, Jan 29, 2010.

1. menniet4

menniet4 Member

WALTER SMITH has been given the green light to try to bring in new players as Pedro Mendes and Jerome Rothen prepare to leave Rangers.

The Light Blues have not paid money for a player since the main transfer window in 2008 and only brought in Rothen on loan from PSG last summer.

Walter Smith and Ally McCoistBut with the Frenchman heading for Ankaragucu and Mendes bound for Sporting Lisbon in the next few hours, there is scope to bring in replacements.

It is likely Smith will look at bringing in reinforcements in areas other than central midfield due to the cover he has there already.

In particular, it seems he will seek a creative player to either play on the wing or just in behind his strikers.

And with three days to go until the January window closes, he has a race against time to do any deals he may want to conduct.

Smith said: "With Jerome away as well as Pedro, that will free up a little bit of money but we'll need to wait and see what happens.

"I won't take someone on unless it is someone I really feel can come in and make a little bit of a difference for us.

"It's not quite as simple as us having targets ready to come in. We had to move people out first and it has not been possible to just get others lined up.

"We still have to wait for Pedro's move to Sporting to be finalised but that's just the situation we are in.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100129/looking-for-new-faces_2254024_1948995

2. Maltese Mick

Maltese Mick Guest

in other words your not getting any new players

3. menniet4

menniet4 Member

4. Frank The Tank

Frank The Tank Active Member

Rangers website on February 1st.

"We couldnt get terms finalised in time."

Nobody will be signing for us, I'll be very shocked if someone comes to us in this window. At a long stretch a loan signing but unless something has happened behind the scenes recently we wont be paying a penny until the summer at the very earliest.

5. menniet4

menniet4 Member

not so sure about that Frank, unless walter has decided to play along to the bank/muirs tune, the subtle hints in the last few weeks like only playing a game with 6 subs on the bench, then the last 2 games putting mendes on the bench, and then telling the radio that mendes had no chance of getting on, as he was not match fit, walter knows he needs players as well as most of the fans, but i personally feel a few loans could help from the english reserves or under 21 set up,

but lets say they are loan player he gets in, would that reduce the sale of the club by 1 or 2 million or would the banks still want the 31m they are holding out for? remember their is no guarantee about new owners, and would the bank/muir just use that cash to pay more dept off?

I think we will have to trust walter here mate, and just see what happens come 12am Tuesday morning

6. BH1972RFC

BH1972RFC Guest

Not really arsed about getting a new signing, I want that money used on offering Boydie improved terms. Even if it's just a 3 year contract, get him signed up and then if he decides to go or we decide to sell, then we get a far better sum than the measley pennies being talked about.............or feck all at all if he signs a pre-contract. For him to leave for next to **** all would represent one of Rangers' biggest ever **** ups.