1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Was last night's performance a Turning Point?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by mackemwelder, Feb 3, 2016.

1. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

That was a brilliant performance last night against a team that will end up either winning, or coming a very close second for the championship this season. Well done lads and if we can continue to perform like that week in week out, then I genuinely think we can beat the drop.

The new lads all turned in superb performances and gave the whole team a massive lift which elevated our performance to a different level. I can’t honestly remembering the last time we played like that, maybe the cup win against United?

Anyway, Kone looks like a right beast and a proper defender and I can’t see him ever being out muscled, just ask Yaya Toure. He just bounced off him and came second best in any tackles. He’s big and strong and no slouch either, once he settles I can only see him getting better.

Kirchoff was fantastic, read the game very well and snuffed out a lot of City’s attacks. He’s got good feet and vision and played some great passes through to the forwards which we rarely see these days. Usually it’s hoof ball to Defoe up front and that’s not what he needs or can handle and usually results in the ball coming straight back at us. Last night we played patient through balls and the change was a massive improvement.

Kahzri looked like a headless chicken when he first came on and I honestly thought ‘WTF have we bought here?’ he soon settled and looked menacing. His delivery from corners and set pieces was good and he’ll cause a lot of damage from corners, finally we have someone who can get the ball past the first man. It was refreshing to see a player who just wanted to get at the opposition instead of looking for an ‘out’ ball. A goal will settle and lift him.

N’doye came on late and looked a bit out of sorts at first but he’s another who will settle and improve us. Again a big lump of a lad who looks like he won’t be easily out muscled.

PVA looked sharp last night and his pace and crosses were a thorn in City’s side. He repeatedly got round the back of City’s defence with ease and didn’t do much wrong at defending either. Good game.

For me, the man of the match was M’Vila, I thought he had a brilliant game and I hope to **** we can keep hold of him. Between him and Kirchoff they bossed the midfield. It would be a toss-up between these two who got MOTM but I though M’vila just edged it. Great performance.

Now for a few negatives. Joe ****ing Hart, why could you not have an off night you ****er?
    Aguero, one chance all night and he scored.

Jones. Despite hitting the post after Defoes shot was saved by Hart, I thought he was crap and we need to find a replacement in the summer. He was at fault for Aguero’s goal, he just never stayed tight enough to his man and reacted way too slowly. Time to give Yedlin a try me thinks.

Cattermole. I love Catts but he was way below par last night and needs to stop pretending to be Gerrard, you’re not mate so stop trying. He constantly gave the ball away and his passing was restricted to long balls and giving away possession. A good substitution by Sam and I’m struggling to see where he fits in now. If M’Vila and Kirchoff continue as they did last night, where does Catts fit in? He’s not an attacking midfielder and never will be.

The fact that Otamendi was given MOTM is testament to our performance, keep it up and we have hope, get something from Man Utd and the bin dippers and confidence will grow.

Could last nights performance be a turning point?

2. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Really good performance where we deserved at least a point..if we keep that up we will be fine..

Vincemac likes this.
  3. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Yes it was a very good performance.
    Lots of positives to take from that despite nil poi.

salad fingers likes this.
  4. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Hope it's not another false dawn though. Really time to start closing the gap. Bournemouth getting points again.
    Cursed Joe Hart for his performance, but he redeemed himself in his MOTD interview. Talking about his clubs managerial situation, unprompted he chose to switch topic and give us praise for our performance and his opinion that play like that would see us Ok.

5. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I fear its too late. If we could start the season again I'm sure we would have been ok!

clockstander likes this.
  6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Playing badly and losing brings you relegation - playing well and losing brings you the same (which is what I've said to the mag fans who listen to tufty saying "I'm not worried because we are playing well" - but that said, we have been playing rubbish and losing all season - you don;t mind playing well and losing when it's to a team like city - and to have them throwing themselves on the pitch to try to make sure we weren't going to score was a joke!

I have a lot more heart after last night than I've had for most of the seasn, but, as Q says, I fear it is too late.

Dispicable_Tel likes this.
  7. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Big if..... I don't wish to be a doomsayer however we have had several "turning points" this season and nothing has come to fruition. Fingers crossed for you guys that last nights performance is a sign of things to come. If it is, you will stay up. Nobody (apart from Vile) is down yet.

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Play like that and we will be fine
    We must play like that every game that's been the trouble

9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I thought we were excellent last night.

But bottom line is we got 0 points.

If we can play like that for the rest of the season we'll give ourselves a chance.

10. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Super post - I missed game last night - but after that post got my Man U seat - my fears of new players not being ready seem wrong - <cheers>:emoticon-0148-yes:
    Po a itive

11. mackemwelder

Wrong result like but you missed a good game mate.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  12. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

It seems to be absolutely ridiculous to be thinking that a game that we lost might be a 'turning point' :emoticon-0112-wonde but it could very well be :emoticon-0148-yes:

'City were very fortunate, and for them to resort to cheating - regularly diving and feigning injury in attempts to get our lads booked, hounding the ref. with the same 'goal,' fouling our lads 'at every opportunity' without much fear of being booked themselves (the ref. just seemed to eventually think 'I've got no choice now . . . . I'll just have to book the dirty bastard'), and blatant time wasting - is a compliment to us (and this is a team that will probably win the league) :emoticon-0100-smile

Last night looked like a game between two teams at the top of the league, and it certainly does seem as if it could be a 'turning point' and I've got much more hope than I had after the Bournemouth match (and I still had some then) :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed last night's game and agree with the OP 100%

14. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

It's all about points now forget what everyone else is doing we need to try and win every game. 22 needed IMO. Not easy at all to be honest, we need to win half our remaining fixtures to have a chance of staying up.

15. mackemwelder

That performance will lift the team mate, if it doesn't then we are well and truly ****ed. If we can put in a few more performances like that and get a few results then the confidence will grow. We've lacked that all season tbh. Look at the Bournemouth game, we were **** scared of them, now compare that to last night and it was chalk and cheese mate, a very nice cheese as well.

It's a massive ask, but not beyond us just yet.

16. red&white wanderer

I don't sense relegation gloom when at matches when previous relegation seasons was obvious - BSA magic will save us - I really feel onwards and upwards - but this is Sunderland ETU - lol

17. mackemwelder

It ain't over till it's over mate and i'll never give in till the maths tell me to.

18. red&white wanderer

Experience as a Sunderland fan leads you up this type of path - not on a normal surface <doh>

19. red&white wanderer

Blind faith time - <cheers>★★★★

20. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My view of the run-in.

Still can't see Villa getting out of it - 1 down.

Norwich. Lost 5 on the bounce. Heading in the wrong direction - 2 down.

The Swans are picking up points now.

That's means we need more points per game more than the Mags or W Brom.

Its a 3-horse race for me.