1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford Short News Items

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

2. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Oh come on BB, we've all been there :wink:.

3. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Promotion to the Prem. yet maybe that is not enough.

QPR vice-chairman Amit Bhatia has said Warnock's job is safe - but the 62-year-old remains cautious.

"I'm not totally confident - it's one of those things," said Warnock.

"I don't want to leave London and I will be disappointed. I'm sure my stock has not gone down - but anything is possible.

"I spoke to my two leaders Flavio [Briatore] and Bernie [Ecclestone] this morning and both wished me all the best. I hope my contract is watertight!"

5. Norwayhornet

harsh!!........but it is Colin<laugh>

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Could Colin take over from Malky <yikes>

7. Norwayhornet

No we couldnt afford him , and he has no loyalty to the watford way!

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

From today's Watty Obs:
    By Anthony Matthews »
    Malky Mackay believes the Watford coaches and players “have a lot to be proud of” after finishing two places higher in the Championship table than last season.

The Hornets ended the campaign in 14th after yesterday’s 3-1 defeat at Preston North End, having been in or around the top ten for the majority of 2010/11. Last season they were in a relegation battle from March onwards before back-to-back victories in the last two games lifted them up to 16th.

Mackay reflected on his side’s finishing position after being asked about Tommie Hoban, the 17-year-old centre half who made his debut as a first-half replacement for the injured Martin Taylor.

The Watford boss said: “We’ve got Britt [Assombalonga] on the bench, Gavin Massey up here today and two under-17s – Sean Murray and Tommie – on the pitch. It’s where we are as a football club. We knew at the start of the season we had a small squad, probably the second lowest budget in the league and we were tipped for relegation.

“I’ve just spoken to them and initially we spoke about the game but further to that the season they’ve had and the strides they’ve made. To finish in a higher position than last year, to not really be flirting with danger on the relegation side of it all season and to come in the dressing room and see so many kids and 14 debuts this year, certainly the coaching staff and the football playing staff have got a lot to be proud of to finish where they have because of that.”

Asked about the display of Murray, who made his full debut after making his first appearance in last week’s defeat to champions Queens Park Rangers, Mackay said: “He’s a youngster who’s been playing under-18s, he was at school nine months ago and he’s someone that, again, for the longer term future of Watford it’s bright when you’ve got youngsters like him and Hoban, Adam Thompson, Massey and [Piero] Mingoia coming through.

“We felt why not get him involved today and I’m delighted that he went on there and gave everything he had. He ends up coming off with cramp but he’s got a few years left in him yet to grow and develop but it was good to give him the opportunity and the experience here.”

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think Malky is dead right - we HAVE finished above last season despite everything that has gone on - and in fact even that is not a true reflection of the campaign which has been one of flirting with promotion rather than with relegation

10. Norwayhornet

Totally agree Leo;)

11. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Definitely agree. I do think the only disappointing thing is the league position doesn't really reflect the season, but Malky and everyone at the club should be proud of the season we have had!!

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes - Kev - we the fans are - and I think Malky knows it

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

15. Norwayhornet

Risdale has always been highly suspect ! he was dodgy with Leeds , dodgy with Cardiff and will probably be dodgy with Plymouth!

16. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Ridsdale claiming that he is not taking any money on this latest adventure with Plymuff...yeah right, totally believable. How can low-life's like him and Storrie be allowed to carry on working in football? Another example of the ruling body sticking 2 fingers up to the clubs and fans...

17. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Claims by QPR fans that DG is going there...personally i think it's old news, but it wouldn't surprise me...

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Ridsdale associated with any dodgy dealings - no surely not - I could not believe it

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Saying that there was an item on lunch time TV news where Lord Triesman is accusing 4 FIFA officials of seeking bribes - fairly specific allegations

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am pleased to see that Dale Bennett has been given a two year contract. Yes he has had a few nightmares, but the same could be said of a number of our more experienced defenders. From what I have seen of him he has promise and some good qualities and I think he has earnt his contract by being willing to play in all positions across the back line.