1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford Short News Items

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Did anyone hear TD on Talksport... . apparently he sounded bitter/jealous... and didnt take much part either in post match celebrations..... Not really the behaviour of a club captain is it?????

2. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Tried looking for the clip but no luck. Anyone?

3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Didn’t see much of him on the videos but he was on the Hive thing afterwards.

4. HHTFC1

HHTFC1 Well-Known Member

I think he said on hive that it was the boys that won it and it was their time?
    If he had been giving it the large one like Lazaar having done nothing all season he would have been lambasted.

seems to me the bloke is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t !

I know he seems to be a bit marmite right now with fans, but there seems to be a growing vendetta against one of our greatest servants and players ever. All I know is that when I have spoken to him or my son has met him, he has been top notch and I am proud that he is (IMHO) Watford through and through, whatever his allegiances are in terms of club supported.

5. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Sorry , can't agree. He must be disappointed ,having not been involved at all for so long. And this is in the immediate aftermath, when all those actually doing it were having a real togetherness moment .If you remember , (well, I do) Jimmy greaves said he didm't enjoy the 1966 World Cup at all, as he was out injured and so not involved. Even Bobby Charlton said the final was no fun whatsoever , as he and Beckenbauer just followed each other round the pitch.
    I think TD 9 has been immense ,and is a worthy legend. Let's not moan because he wasn't jumping around like he's scored the winner - -that would just look daft.

Luther and HHTFC1 like this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A good example of just how fickle people can be struck me this evening when I saw a comment from a Watford fan.

"Ashley Young walks straight back into Watford line up at left back/wing back next season. All day and every ******* day. Shouldn’t really require a debate on this one. Masina goes in as back up, King Ken slots in there if both are ******. Simples."

So one of the players in contention for goal of the season, who has been missed when injured and this guy wants him replaced.

7. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

I think Deeney was a bit like a proud dad at his son or daughters wedding, he was proud but maybe feels he is not the main man anymore

He almost saved us from relegation and certainly contributed to this years promotion and I hope has a role to play next season

His body will not allow him to be the main striker for 30+ games next season but he could be valuable on the bench and maybe start a few games and that must hurt him more than any of us could ever imagine

Nascotwoodfrog, Hornet-Fez and HHTFC1 like this.
  8. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Re Deeney: His normal slot on talksport Monday slot. What I have seen and read he was absolutely fine, respectful and talked up players including Chalobah.
    No problems at all.

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

TD9 quite possibly shielding that Achilles of his- one slip is all it would take. On the training ground is one thing, it'd be daft to risk a relapse partying around!

duggie2000 likes this.
  10. yorkshirehornet

Ok... was reported on another forum.... I jjust though t he was less than jubilant on Hive myself.......

11. Markthehorn

upload_2021-4-29_21-24-12.png

Only Masina in the Championship team of the season and he misses half the season !

Attached Files:

12. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

We are Watford, no one loves us and we dont give a ****

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  13. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

That has got to be laughable. We have the meanest defence in the division, so Norwich get 2 defensive players we get one. I think they only includeed Masina 'cos they were embarrassed ! We have the most effective (and the most fouled - which tells you something) forward player, - not included.
    However, perhaps what it really says is WFC have the best TEAM , not the best 11 individuals.

14. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I agree, I think we finally started to play effectively as a team again. Even under Ivic, it felt like a strong defensive unit without any spectacular individuals. Despite people talking about how we've gone back up by keeping lots of our prem players, it does feel like a team performance rather than two or three key players dragging us up. I'm surprised they didn't find space for Sarr in the team of the year though, who I would say is the exception to what I just said!

15. Luther

Luther Well-Known Member

The choices appear to have sparked a lot of controversy. One wonders how Begovic got into the team as the goalkeeper. He has had a decent season, but not a great season. Krul has been far more impressive and his statistics reflect that. Even Bachmann has superior statistics to Begovic, but has played only half a season. It is beyond me why Morrison was chosen as one of the central defenders - especially in view of Watford's impressive defensive record - and recently he has missed quite a number of games due to injury.

Masina has played only half a season and - although he scored a couple of important goals - he has not been exceptional and will be well down the list for Watford's player of the season. Omar Richards (Reading) has performed better and has much more impressive statistics, which may be the reason why Bayern Munich want to sign him when he is out-of-contract in the summer. The choice of Masina does give the impression of belatedly trying to find a place in the team for a Watford player because they finished in second place two games before the end of the season.

The omission of Sarr is bizarre. I have heard various pundits describe Buendia and Sarr as the two outstanding players in the Championship and suggest that both of them are Premier League players, who are playing in the Championship. Quite a number of supporters from other clubs were asking (on the EFL twitter feed) why Sarr was not in the team.

They were also questioning the choice of Farke as manager of the season because he has managed almost the same team which won the Championship two years ago. Many people were suggesting that Valérien Ismaël should be the manager of the season because he had successfully led a team, which narrowly missed relegation last season, into the play-offs.

It would be interesting to know how the team of the season was selected. Ali Maxwell and George Elek on the mid-week edition of the Totally Football League Show seemed to know that there would not be much Watford representation in the Championship team of the season and claimed that it showed that Watford's success was based on teamwork, but even they did acknowledge that Sarr is an exceptional player.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  16. Markthehorn

Sometimes these awards are voted for earlier in the season but then wouldn't explain Masina getting in and Sarr has always been a threat all season as you state and talked about by all the pundits and fans - scoring 13 goals and many assists in a side that wasn't that attacking.

All 3 divisions had the likely title winning manager as the best manager which suggests the voters have been a bit lazy.

Morrison does seem a bit left field - Cardiff done ok but let in a few goals like 5-0 at Sheffield Wednesday.

No doubt had Foster played all season and kept clean sheets like Bachmann has he would've been in as he is more of a name.

Even a Luton fan on another site said Sierralta should have been in.

duggie2000 likes this.
  17. Markthehorn

andytoprankin likes this.
  18. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Very good post. <ok>

For me that team is missing the most exciting wide men in the EFL - Sarr and Sema. Sema is two-footed, a tricky sod and invariably finds his way past full-backs. That is very exciting IMHO (which way will he turn them - left or right?), and what football is about. As GT said, football is about exciting the people on the terraces, and Sema and Sarr have all that.
    I also think Sierralta is a glaring omission. It’s unthinkable that you don’t include the most impressive centre-back in the league. He has been the stalwart of our defence, goodness only knows how many attacks he has foiled. In the right place at the right time is a massive skill itself, but to then be as solid as he is, as calm under pressure as he is, at his age! Bloody stupid omission.

duggie2000, Scullion, Toby and 3 others like this.
  19. yorkshirehornet

20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I can't believe that Adam actually wrote this - "Giaretta appears to have wasted no time in addressing one of the areas Watford need to improve, putting the ball in the back of the net". Ike Ugbo, fair enough - he is scoring in double figures (even if it is in the same league as Obbi Oulare) - but Kwadwo Baah? 3 goals in 29 matches for a team relegated from League One is apparently better than Gray's 4 goals in 29 matches for a team promoted from the Championship?? Hardly an upgrade...