1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread WATFORD v MANCHESTER CITY

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I reckon we are a pretty realistic bunch in our assessment of what we watched today.

2. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Score line was a tad harsh but we were excellent today. Watford to their credit didn't just down tools,but it's just one of those you take on the chin and move on from I think
    Doesn't alter the really decent start you've made

3. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

We are Frenchie, but it still hurts. For some reason I don't mind losing to a real football club with real fans, but losing to a troop of millionaires assembled together and 'called' Manchester City hurts more - historically they are no bigger than the likes of Aston Villa and, without Arab millions, they would still be a middling yoyo club. To see success bought in this way is always depressing. I was depressed at their demolition of Feyenoord (a proud club with a great history and with real fans) so how much more so now.

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Yes it does hurt. I am still hopeful however that the club is in good hands. I read during the week how a small lad had proudly written to the club to tell them how he had done a presentation in his school all about the club. His father had helped him to do a good job with pictures and videos to make it interesting. The lad received a letter back from Scott Duxberry congratulating him, with encouragement to continue selling the club to Gooners fans who were the bulk of his school mates.
    We could be accused on a smaller scale of trying to buy success, but not having the numbers in a smaller stadium we can see how players buy into the Watford way. Some really seem to engage with the fans, and not just depart to home appearing to think that is it for the day.

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

We had eleven millionaires lined up against their millionaires. Other clubs in the lower divisions could look at Watford the same way now we have relatively rich owners. They played really well today and we should just accept their extra millions made a difference. It was good to see a master like De Bruyne running their show, just take it on the chin.

6. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Guess what? When you want to be first on MOTD (last week) you're last, and when you want to be tucked away last, you get put on first <doh>

Hornette_TID likes this.
  7. colognehornet

I understand fully SH. I can understand how a fan of a club like Swindon (who were once as big as us) can look at us in the same way. My dilemma is that I love Watford FC. but hate the Premiership. Sterile, silent, stadiums which have often become the home of tourists rather than fans. Prices which ensure that no teenager or man of 20 can buy a season ticket (and these are the ones who create the atmosphere, not 50 year olds). A few richly assembled clubs at the top and then a gulf. Entry to the Champions League being everything and being at the expense of everything else. It's just been a dissapointing week in which the champions league showed up all that is wrong with modern football - two proud clubs (Feyenoord and Celtic) both once the best in Europe, humiliated at home by richly assembled squads. At least the fans of Cologne showed the Emirates how to sing as in days of old.

8. superhorns

I was at the away game with Swindon just after they won the league cup, I'm sure we won 1-0. It felt great then to beat such a big club!!!

9. colognehornet

I was there as well SH. For some strange reason that was one of the most exciting times to be a Watford fan. I remember the Swindon match (29,000 packed into the County Ground), the ghost goal against Tranmere, the win against Plymouth, which got us promoted, almost better than the glory days of GT. Also the thought of going up to join the giants of Millwall and Charlton !

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The worst game I have ever been to was against Swindon at the Vic. For 90 minutes the ball never escaped from the middle third of the field. It was dire.

11. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Probably would have not made much difference but what if their 3rd was ruled out and we'd scored early in the 2nd half..

Guess we just move on and start again next week.

andytoprankin likes this.
  12. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

They did not play the game fairly and should be band ,In the 1st half they did not give the ball away so we had to try and win it off them ALL the time id like to see the stats on possession my guess would be 30/70 .i dont ever remember a 0-6 score but then i dont remember playing with the away team having 5/6 world class players

13. brian_66_usa

If the Swindon game was at night i was there ,winning promotion with KF and i ended up in the high st pond that night a great time to be a Watford fan

14. brian_66_usa

One good piece of news we took my 5yo grandson to his 1st game he now has 1881 bits and after the game he said to his dad when can we go again

15. superhorns

This was a night game but it was away, Don Rogers and all.

16. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

From memory it was a 6:00pm kick-off - can't remember why though.
    Cracking game to watch though - as cologne said, 29000 crowd - with no crowd segregation. The covered end was rocking for the whole game - even when Eddy managed the extremely rare feat for him of missing a penalty.

17. brian_66_usa

i think that was the year they beat Arsenal in the League Cup we was level with the penalty spot under cover

18. superhorns

yes, 3-1

19. brian_66_usa

It was a different time . i think we was getting 8-10k per week and the numbers going up as the team did better but you felt a part of the club plus a Member of the supports club i almost did my early wages in the club on the one arm bandit( tic tac toe ) then it payed the jack pot to give me back my wages LOL

20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Yes - I think they had actually won it just the week before.

Sounds like you were standing next to me... :)