1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wayne Rooney

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by yarco canary, Sep 8, 2015.

1. NCFC Dorset Branch

NCFC Dorset Branch Active Member

Think the original point was "this bloke is about to become the highest scoring England player of all time, why am I not bothered".

Nothing to do with comparisons with Jack Charltons brother or anybody else, and nothing to do with whether he's fit to lace Ronaldo's boots.

Simply, why are a lot of people not bothered, and certainly amongst my friends and work colleagues this is a pretty common reaction.

It's got to be down to our view of him as a person I think. Charlton, Lineker and Owen were all role model types, whereas Rooney is very much at the other end of the spectrum I'd suggest.

THURNBY YELLOW likes this.
  2. yarco canary

yarco canary Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Dorset,exactly the point I was making.

Nothing to do with his ability etc etc,but WHY can't
    I get excited by his record?

3. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I think Dorset has got it. It is a matter of personality, though to be fair he seems to have matured in the last couple of years and seems much more clued up.

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I don't like him but I have to say he's worth his place in the team, when England are on the attack, the defenders are so busy watching him thet they leave space for others to run into, often resulting in a free kick or penalty as defenders try to correct their mistake!

5. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

I think regardless of personal feeling towards him it's an impressive achievement and he has potential to set a serious record that could be very hard to beat. It's got to be worth a least a tip of the hat.

That said Harry Kane is only 46 goals behind.

Tony_Munky_Canary likes this.
  6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

I don't like him either (not exactly a minority!), but he's gone from being an immature hot-head to a reasonably balanced individual who enjoys playing for his country, and takes his captaincy seriously. On top of this he's broken a long-standing scoring record, so I think he deserves credit for all that.

Tony_Munky_Canary likes this.
  7. canary-dave

Difficult to argue with any of that! <ok>

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Rooney certainly beats Charlton hands down when it comes to disguising baldness......

KIO and K E M P like this.
  9. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

I read today that Messi rates Rooney as one of the best strikers in the world, I wonder if people will quote that glowing reference as much as the one I frequently hear about when Zidane described Scholes as the best midfielder he'd played against?

When Zidane said that a lot of folk accepted it as a fact straight away, however I get the feeling those same people may simply scoff at Messi's words and laugh them off. But why they do that I guess leads me back to the question originally posted by the OP, and I don't really know the answer, though I do have to say I find it rather harsh reading so many people saying they don't like him, or that he's not a very nice person etc, particularly when those people don't know him, have never actually met him in the flesh and are judging their opinion purely from what they read in the press or magazines.

I dunno, I think he's alright personally, he might have done some silly things when he was younger (and surely nothing that a lot of young guys with a lot of money wouldn't do - apart from the grannies of course) but I don't think he's been given anywhere near enough to credit for the way he has matured over the years - he certainly appears to be a doting dad and good family man at least. He always comes across as pretty humble in interviews, wears his heart on his sleeve and clearly has a hell of a lot of respect from his fellow professionals, people who actually do know him and what he's really like.

And somehow I don't think he particularly cares what any of us think about him anyway, in the game of life he is definitely a winner - and good on him I say <ok>

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    ColkOfTheBarclay likes this.
  10. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

He is the epitomy of the word over-rated.
    As Roy Walker would say "He's good.....but it's not right"

11. Tony_Munky_Canary

Really??? 50 goals for his country and he's "overrated"?? <doh>

Overrated by who exactly? Lionel Messi? Clearly not by you or some of the others on this thread anyway. Colin Murray has written an excellent piece about him - and the type of fans who seen to take enjoyment out of finding negatives from positives - in the Metro this morning, and I agree with every word he says.

12. canary-dave

You can't deny he is a talented footballer, but equally, you can't deny he has been an arsehole of a bloke in the past! He does appear to have matured a lot over the last couple of years but he has a way to go before his personality wins over the majority of those who dislike him!

13. THURNBY YELLOW

I am merely saying that he is a good player but in my opinion, not one of the all time greats. I think had he shown more disciplne at times then he could have been better. I am sorry TMC if again I have not agreed with you.

14. Tony_Munky_Canary

But that isn't what you said, you said he was the "epitomy (sic) of overrated", which is quite different from what you've just said here, though I'm getting used to that sort of thing by now.

And so what if he's not one of the all time greats? Who is saying that he is?? I've not heard anyone say that anywhere, certainly not on a worldwide scale anyway, though I have heard Lionel Messi say he's a "once in a generation player", and I'm sorry but I think he might know just a little bit more about the subject than you or I do <laugh>

Of course he's not the best player in the world, and of course he's not the best player ever - or even the greatest English player ever, or even the greatest English striker ever, though he must surely be up there on the list for the latter, and anyone who denies that is clearly talking nonsense.

All I've heard from professionals in the game are glowing compliments and praise for Rooney and his achievements, I've not read anything from anyone that actually matters to the contrary, so that's good enough for me - I've still not read anyone in the game describe him as the best player in the world or comparable with Messi or Ronaldo so people who keep trying to argue that he's not an all time great or best player in the world are just concocting and argument so they can argue with themselves.

Why can't people just recognise his achievement for what it is an dbe happy for him? I wouldn't have thought it was that hard was it?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  15. THURNBY YELLOW

I am not going to go through this line by line which appears now to be your pastime, but just taking your first line - that is exactly what some people are saying and then you go on to agree with me and say that he isn't one of the all time greats. The fundamental problem lies with our lovely media who have continually built him up only to knock him down, but because he was so central to Ericcson's teams he has been under tremendous pressure throughout his career, that fact has not helped. There have also been too many times when he has gone absent in games, whereas the true greats always find a way to achieve something. Different players of course, but Gerrard was for me a much better player of his generation.

16. canary-dave

Well Thurnby, I'd have to trump you Gerrard with Frank Lampard, he regularly scored 20 + goals from midfield and was an absolute gent both on and off the field! Never felt the need to shag a grannie or beat up a DJ :)

17. THURNBY YELLOW

Do you know what Dave, I almost added Lampard and decided against it at the last minute. I thought Gerrard had the edge for England and there was the old debate that the two could not play together in the same midfield, they never both shone together and that is for real. I would say that Lampard was generally a more reliable player and had a fearsome shot, Gerrard could turn games (like the European Final) but both were superb no doubt about that.

18. THURNBY YELLOW

.........oh and on a personal basis as regards being a role model you are 100% correct, no arguments there!

19. Tony_Munky_Canary

I've never said he's an "all time great" and I don't know of anyone who has - and THAT was my whole point!! you're saying he's the "epitome of overrated" because he's not an all time great and I'm saying nobody has said he is so who exactly is he overrated by?

And I'd hardly say it was tough going through your post "line by line" as it was only one paragraph, so it really wasn't a painstaking operation responding. And anyway, my main gripe is with your first line, the one about "Rooney being the epitome of overrated", because to me that is clearly absolute nonsense, and that's why I said so.

20. Tony_Munky_Canary

I actually think over the last few seasons Rooney has shown himself to be a pretty decent role model. Nobody can deny how much he has matured over the years, he may not be the sharpest tool in the box but he carries himself well in interviews, and always comes across has humble and respectful whenever I've seen him speak. He works his arse off on the pitch and in training, always shows total dedication and commitment for club and country and I understand he is always more than happy to help the youngsters and spend time with them on the training ground. I'll wager more kids have his name on their shirt than any other player, and when they are playing the role of Rooney its when they smash in a goal down the playing field - rather than the nonsense you read about him in the red top trash that a lot of people on here seem to get their opinions from.

He appears to be a very caring family man who dotes on his kids as well, and whilst I'm not saying he's Mother Theresa, I do actually think he's a pretty good role model myself, and I imagine the managers of Man United and England tend to agree since they have made him captain of both.

And as for Steven Gerrard as a role model, really? I don't know him personally of course, but my understanding is that he is an arse of the very highest order, and there are rumours about him that are far worse than anything that Rooney has ever been accused of. I agree about Lampard though, top top player and all round good guy by all accounts, and surely one of the more underrated players of our generation. It's always Scholes, Beckham and Gerrard who get spoken of regarding England's best midfielders of the past decade or so, but for me Lampard was as influential and had as big an impact on games as any of those.

Edit: Just realised nobody actually said Gerrard was a good role model, that was me going off at a tangent - I still think he's a nob though!