1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

'We Deserved More' – Johnson

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Oct 27, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'We deserved more' – Johnson
    Saturday, October 27th 2018

Lee Johnson watched his relentless side dominate the second half at home to Stoke City but they were unable to find the all-important breakthrough.

Darren Fletcher’s first-half strike proved the difference in the 1-0 defeat, despite City’s attacking impetus in the second half.

City were thwarted on more than one occasion with Jack Butland in form, while Famara Diédhiou twice rattled the crossbar.

'We improved after the break'

“It is a tough one to take because I thought we were excellent, particularly in the second half,” Johnson said, assessing the match at Ashton Gate.

“In the first half we wasted too many minutes by not being aggressive enough in the press or forward play. You could see in the second half we showed you don’t have to kick the ball long distances to be aggressive in your forward play. It’s about working your feet, working hard to receive, gumption and the desire to be dangerous.

“We had that in abundance after the break, it was a good performance but unfortunately with all the will of the world, we couldn’t push the ball over the line.”

'Areas to improve'
    The head coach added: “We should have won this game or at least taken a point. On reflection, we’ve had very good performances, but we weren’t good enough in the first half and that’s where we have got to learn and improve.”

Johnson also heaped praise on young midfielder Liam Walsh, who came on as a half-time substitute against the Potters.

Walsh 'dictated the game'
    He said the former Everton Academy player “deserved the chance” and “was superb” adding “his range of passing in a three really suits him and he dictated the game.”

City now have a week to prepare for their trip to Reading, after three games in eight days in the Sky Bet Championship.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-deserved-more-johnson/

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

First half powder puff
    Second half dominated the game.
    But goals win games.
    Butland should be in the prem.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Johnson is right - but that’s football.
    Brilliant display by their GK

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I do agree it's scoring the most goals that win games and earn the points, if we could have been stronger in the first half and still dominated the second we would all be happy, it's good Walsh had his chance and stood out and maybe Taylor & Walsh should be in the team to face Reading.

5. Red Robin

I would start both and Dasilva as well all three should start Wiz

6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Thought Liam Walsh was exceptional. Great to see him come good, I've said it before but I reckon we might have a bit of a gem there.

Bigjohnatyeo and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

One of those days - we will play worse and win

NickH and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Now what was I saying about consistency on another thread...............
    For all the good work in beating Brentford and Hull we've now lost the momentum yet again. The likes of QPR and Birmingham have moved above us and without consistency I honestly don't see us ever being better than mid table this season.

9. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Did you watch the game? We probably played better than we did against Brentford and Hull, second half especially, we deserved something from the game. Sometimes you have to accept that we were beaten mainly because Butland had a stormer and you really can’t legislate for that. Coming away from the game I wasn’t too disheartened, disappointed with the result of course but the performance was fine

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I said the same to the Mrs, on Wednesday I came away happy with the points but was bored rigid. Yesterday we lost the points but that second half was really entertaining to watch.
    Only one gripe was why take off Brownhill as with him Pack and Walsh they was clinging on to and couldn’t get out of their half. Brought on Taylor allowed them a bit more room. Me personally would of taken of Patterson but then he stepped his game up as well in the second half.

11. Red Robin

I would start with the team the finished yesterday at Reading

12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Not sure about that comment, could have lost against Brentford, beaten Hull and drew against stoke, some would say we have the momentum, but we would have been 2 points down on those results.....Like someone said on talk sport the other day, a few wins in the championship and you find yourself in the playoffs, few loses and you're looking over your shoulder at the other end of the table.....This league can be ruthless!!

AshtonRed likes this.
  13. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Whether we know it or not we are playing in the most difficult league in the world in which to achieve success and progressing from here to the Premier League is a very difficult road. This division is all about infrastructure combined with managerial nous and a desire from the players to get to where most players would prefer to play without bleating on about their lack of whatever floats their boat. Competing with the parachute club and their blood money for failure makes the task of clubs like us to compete more difficult than it needs to be if the playing field was leveled a bit more. Equal opportunity should be the case and all those clubs trying their hardest to improve the overall status of their teams without large attendances to fuel their bank balance should be applauded by the footballing public.

We appear to be somewhere in the middle of the pack on most levels and the difference between us getting wherever we want to be and staying in the Championship is the width of a gnat's cock. Some unknown magic is required to get us over the finishing line and perhaps one day we may get all the right pieces at the right time and surprise all those who think we are backwater yokels. They don't like it up em sir.

14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Last Saturday against 10men Brentford ?

15. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

To be consistant in this league
    Where have you been Rp, we miss your doom and gloom.

16. BCFCRob

Exactly this! We probably deserved 1 or 2 points max from Brentford and Hull, yet deserved 3 from Stoke. Football is a daft game really...

17. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

said he needed the chance …… MO NEXT!

18. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

No I didn't go to the Stoke game

But the last time I looked, results were more important than results in terms of league position and success.

It would be nice to have the two go hand in hand but that's not always possible.

19. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

So when you say about consistency you mean we must win every game 1-0 to be consistent? Not even Man City win every game and if were to win every game we would be promoted by Christmas.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  20. BCFCRob

But we won 2 when playing badly and lost 1 by playing well....

Surely by your logic the last 3 games have been a success.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.