1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We need to improve quickly !

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by The Little General, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

He's all over that gap between opponents midfield and defensive lines. The defences rightly dare not step out so opposing cm's have to step back. One can't just sit Infront of the back 4 against him, too big an engine and covers too much ground. He single handedly forces teams deep which allows is to sit further up the pitch. No coincidence we were scoring more with him in the side. We've scored 5 in 5 since his injury. 10 in 5 before his injury and 40 in the 20 league games he's played this season.

Nobody who works his bollocks off for the badge is stealing a living. He's earned ever penny

There's barely a goal he doesn't play a part in. Maguire has tried and failed to fill the role.

We don't have a creative attacking mid but he's the next best thing by a country mile

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Nads, dansafcman, Sunderlad and 2 others like this.
  2. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

I don't see it, but now that I know what to look for... too bad there are no replays on safsee this season.

3. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Snap, I have it tattooed on my old man in 1" red and white letters :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Nads likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He's one of those players that you really need to see in person to realise how much he actually does every game.

I'm not saying Honeyman is in his league but I didn't realise what an immense player Roy Keane was until I saw him live.

5. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

They are the kind of players (Kante being the obvious example recently) who don't show up a lot on highlights reels but are often the reason behind why your team has retained possession and snuffed out opposition threats by their presence and pressure.

When Ferguson commented that Maldini was the master defender his praise was that Maldini hadn't even had to make a tackle. He got to the right place at the right time to snuff out danger and pass the ball to others. Nothing wow to see but players like that win games all season without getting man of the match awards.

Nads, Nacho and Dorset like this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that Honeyman is the Maldini of midfield?

7. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

McGeoch?

Brian Storm likes this.
  8. Brian Storm

Got it on one mate

jdsafc likes this.
  9. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Well I think perhaps he's not quite that level. He's like a cross between Maldini and a headless chicken - he runs about a hell of a lot more and isn't as effective but very few players are! Honeyman at the back end of last season and for most of this season has shown himself to be an asset who is almost certainly capable of playing comfortably in a championship midfield. At the level you're at he can do a lot and pull plenty of strings in the game, hard to say if he could do it at top flight level but that's theoretical as I think he's staying at Sunderland if you guys go up and it's the best place for him to be.

Nacho likes this.
  10. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Yes, I was trying to identify the strengths of Scotland's best kept secret on Saturday. It was a struggle.

11. Brian Storm

He's a tidy sideways passer, not much of a strength but it's his biggest strength. He's a passenger imo

Can't even get in the Scotland squad FFS lmao

The Little General and jdsafc like this.
  12. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Its odd because there are some players that provide a roll which is greatly appreciated by fellow pro's but goes unnoticed by spectators. Paul Stewart was a classic example of this scenario. I'm not sure if McGeough falls in to this roll

Brian Storm likes this.