1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Webber: Agreement Reached

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JediCanary, Apr 3, 2017.

1. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Just seen on the Evening News website Norwich City & Huddersfield Town have reached an agreement for Stuart Webber to become City's new Sporting Director.

The clubs have struck a compensation deal and he will move to Carrow Road in City's newly created position, and will be tasked with finding Alex Neil's replacement.

Full story on link below:

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/spor...come_canaries_new_sporting_director_1_4960032

2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Have we got a new head coach yet?

Bah!

3. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

As I ´ve mentioned once, at least, before, so what, Jedi - as Melchy points out, he´s not the one that matters, the next appointment, and what he gets up to, is. But it´s at least, possibly, a move in the right direction.

4. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Nothing about Webber on Sky or BBC. I'll wait for the club to announce before I believe it.

5. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I disagree RBF. I think this could be a pivotal role for Norwich's future, in the same way that I think McNally was possibly the best signing we made in the recent era. I've no idea if Webber is the individual we need but I do think a quality DoF supporting the right HC is the future rather than another old school manager function trying to manage every aspect of the football part of the "business".

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!!! <ok>
    I'm sure had he remained at CR, then AN's tenure as manager would have ended sooner.
    I also agree that the role of SD is as important if not more so than that of the HC.

7. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

We've obviously got to nail both positions but I think the concept is a winner allowing the coach to simply concentrate on getting the best out of the existing squad whilst the SD takes care of the longer term picture and the multiple distractions that take a current "Manager" away from working closely with the team. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can produce. I don't know Webber so can't comment on whether he's the right one but i think we're headed in the right direction at least.

JM Fan likes this.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I agree to a large extent. A DoF with continuity across 5 or more years and 3-4 managers, may have identified sooner the need to strengthen the defense, rather than successive managers giving the current players another bite, believing themselves capable of getting more from the useless gits. I'd like a strategy, much like Swansea (I don't necessarily want their slow posession based game) that each manager who comes in knows the way we as a club want to play football. Then with each manager coming or going, the players and squad should be fit for purpose, (At least after a transitionary phase) with each incoming player and each youff lad suited and coached to play within that system. I'm not advocating no plan B, otherwise we really might as well have stuck with Neil. But Huddersfields current way, with the high press and moving the ball more quickly (Everyone appears to do so next to the Neil/Irvine axis of the snail!) If we can aim for that and keep adding hungry players who would suit that system, then the DoF would be the best appointment we ever make. That said, Webber would appear a ruthlessly ambitious so n so, So I hope we have someone shadowing him from the start (Probably Ricky Martin!) , because 5 years, if that! maybe as long as we can keep him if his star continues to rise. But this strategy would need long term continuity. Assuming it's working of course, if not sack the bastard and get in some other bugger and start again!
    (Am I getting a bit far ahead with sacking him or losing him before he's had a day in post? Probably but I bet the how long do we give him thread won't take long to appear!)

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

From the BBC "Gossip Column":-

Manager Arsene Wenger's backroom team are increasingly worried about their future amid plans to overhaul Arsenal's structure, which includes the appointment of a director of football. (Daily Mail)

JM Fan likes this.
  10. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Yes I do see the principle behind the idea, that a Football Director should then free up the Head Coach for all the unnecessary football business, so that he can concentrate fully on the team. That´s all very well as long as the FD does do that, and keeps his nose completely out of team matters, it´s when they don´t, and get themselves involved, that I can see problems arising. Still think there´s a danger of there being too many cooks, with this arrangement, not to mention the fact, that whoever he appoints as Head Coach, will have to accept finding themselves in a subordinate role from the outset - not everyone´s cup of tea!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post RBF!!! :emoticon-0137-clapp

Also good to see mostly 'harmony' on a thread ......... <laugh>

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    canary-dave likes this.
  12. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Now all he needs to do is sign the agreement with Delia's "special clause" enforcing him to extend Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Ruddy, Martin and Hoolahan's contracts for another 2 years!

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  13. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

There have been some very short appointments in football General, but I believe minus 2 days sets a new low. But we know what you mean. I think.
    Bah to you as well. :angel:

14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm inclined to believe this guy. And what he tweets here makes sense, no point rubbing their (Huddersfield's) noses in it - and losing even more heavily than we will anyway <yikes>
    I feel for the poor sods that have away season tickets :(

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

16. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fascinating MFW piece underlining Stuart Webber's new role(s) at the club.
    And other things, of course.
    This made me break out in a wry smile (and go <doh>)

We're clearly guilty of all three points raised there and look where it's got us <yikes>
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...-and-a-well-defined-strategy-too-much-to-ask/

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

A 'top notch' article Cromer (as the MOSTLY are on MFW!!!) and Steve certainly doesn't pull any punches and I particularly liked the reference to the signing of RvW and other costly players who are now 'millstones', but overall, I still believe that the triumverate of McNally, Lambert and Holt were exactly what the club needed - and boy do we NEED a captain on the pitch who is also a leader!!! Step forward Johnny Howson!!! <ok>
    Let's hope he's in post for Saturday and then he can witness first hand how frail our defence is, though both Pinto and Dijks will have served their suspensions and so we SHOULD be a bit more resilient.

18. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I assume he won't be allowed in the stadium for tonight's game as he is on gardening leave.

JM Fan likes this.
  19. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know who made these decisions and negotiated the deal. Delia & the Board do not get involved in such matters - although some idiots seem to think she has a hand in team selection!! - and, as Executive Chairman, Ed Balls has only limited authority. I suspect that the advice on who to appoint came from a paid outside source and the negotiation was carried out by the Finance Director. On face value the appointments made have been first class and auger well for the future as, in my opinion, does the new structure. I suspect that the appointment of a Head Coach might well have to wait until Promotion issues at other Clubs are sorted out but better to wait and get the right man than pick from the mediocre pool of currently unemployed candidates.

20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent post 1950 and IMO, 'Woy' was almost certainly involved as to who to select as SD.
    I'm inclined to agree with your comment re the appointment of an HC, but if rumours are to be believed, the official announcement of theWebber being our SD will be made tomorrow, so that he will get the opportunity to see how poor we are against Reading, Fulham and Brighton, when in all honesty, we should be able to at least compete with all 3 teams if not beat them.
    Edit - I'd rather wait to appoint a new HC, than get someone who is as 1950 puts it is 'from the mediocre pool of currently unemployed candidates!!'

carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.