1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate - Sat 6th July

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems to be the right time to bring back the weekend debate as there is a lot of transfer activity, pre-season training, friendlies about to happen including flying out to Australia and Sardinia.

So big talking points must be the ongoing Pontus issue and the potential crisis in our CBs as we let a few leave. There's the Phillips contract talks too.

Also hearing that Bielsa has his eyes on another striker who scores?

So 14 players out of the door so far including those who are expected to go and we have 9 players brought in including academy/U23 players.

Players In
    • Helda Costs from Wolves - £13m
    • Alfie Hughes - 17 from Man Utd - Free
    • Stuart McKinstry - 16 from Motherwell - £400k
    • Liam McCarron - 18 from Carlisle - £2m
    • Rafa Mujica - 20 from Barcelona - Free
    • Guilleme Amor - 18 from Barcelona - Free
    • Jack Harrison - 22 from Man City - Loan
    • Jack Clarke - 18 from Spurs - Loan
    • Ben White - 20 from BHA - Loan
    The kids going into the academy are all expected to make breakthroughs this coming season. It may be from the kids up to the 23s or the 23s to the first team. All are top top talents and expected to have big futures in the game. Its also known that Pep and Man City were also looking at some of them, so we did well getting them.

What are peoples views on the players coming in, so far?

14 players going out with some surprises because there is a lot more to go yet. I have to say Diaz is a loss followed by Halme and Wilks, but you could say we made a good profit on the 2 going to Barnsley. Barnsley could look like our feeder club this season.

2. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. It looks more likely that we are Barnslys feeder club

JonnyLosAngeles likes this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Of the ins, happy with costa and white... ambivalent over Harrison but hoping the talent shows through in year 2.

Did we really pay 2m for the Carlisle lad? Be interested in the real deal figs over costa as has been largely media reports I think.

Satisfaction re the transfer window will be down to the outs. At the moment we’re in the black. Personally would like to see another striker but handling 3 when you only play 1 will be challenging.

Given costa will probably break his leg in August, I still have a sense that i’d Like another 10/winger... we have loads of wingers so I guess that means I don’t necessarily trust them to deliver!

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Milky the figures used are taken from media sources and for example we know for a fact that Barnsley offered £1m+ for Wilks and then later Hull City went public with a £1.2m offer, so can guess that the fee was similar but Barnsley offered Malik a 4 year deal. Officail statement now says fee undisclosed. Motherwell knew the player they had on their hands and went all out to get as much as possible, so the £400k will be the tip of the iceberg as there will be add-ons too. The Carlsile fee of £2m came from 3 sources in the media but I think that will be including add-ons? Not sure about any numbers really unless they announce the fee. So my numbers are just guesses mate.

Costa for me will cost no more than what Wolves paid for him. I cannot accept that we would pay them £2m to loan him plus pay his full wages for a year and then pay them more than they paid for a player who's value would be dropping as his contract end date nears. So I suspect that the £2m loan fee will be deducted from whatever fee we agreed?

5. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning all,from an already hot'n humid southampton.
    off on hols this evening (two week baltic cruise) can't wait,feet up plenty to eat & drink, great places to visit :1980_boogie_down:.
    To me Costa signing great, we will have to see on white possibly good, to be honest a little underwhelmed by the rest, as all these great u23 signings for the future do not float my boat (so to speak) the future never comes it's the hear & now i'm interested in and getting out of this damned division which season upon season is seeming more like a prison. i personally would have have liked to see a quality striker come in, rather than half a dozen or so, one for the future type players.<sorry>

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Id agree with Milky word for word and wont or cant give verdicts on players, seniors, u23's, u16's or whatever until theyve made the grade. Some or many wont seemingly based on past experience, we can hope this time maybe different as I hope Bielsa has played a huge part in their selection rather than the twat Orta

ristac, 2 pennth and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  7. milkyboy

Didn’t mean it in anyway critical fella. Didn’t see a fee announced for the Carlisle lad, so was wondering. The media do generally like to float high figures around and are often quoting overall potential with add-ons etc. And I agree on costa... be very surprised if it’s what has been quoted.

Doc likes this.
  8. milkyboy

[QUOTE="Eireleeds1, post: 12961274, member: 1008486"Id agree with Milky word for word[/QUOTE]

You’re an astute man Eire <laugh><laugh>

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  9. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning Doc, morning everyone else. Deja Vue for Mowatt with Wilkes joining him at Barnsley.

Wilkes used to be Mowatts boot boy!!

Whitejock likes this.
  10. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Why not build for now and worry about the future in the future <laugh>

its all Polish

11. Eireleeds1

You’re an astute man Eire <laugh><laugh>[/QUOTE]
    Likewise <whistle>

12. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

The premiership is a competition limited to half a dozen clubs,the benefit for the rest is money. The Championship is the best competition for the supporters.

13. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I understood the McKinstry fee was £150k, with add-ons taking it to £400k. Got this months ago on t'internet, not from the horse's mouth, btw.

What I did discover was the difference in Scottish & english FA rules. Can't be a professional in england until you're 17, but you can in Scotland! Reason I mention it is McKinstry was actually signed as a professional, but has to wait until he's 17 on September 17th to be reinstated to that status in england!

It's a funny old game.

Doc likes this.
  14. Eireleeds1

Didnt realise they even have professional footballers in Scotland. Youd never guess <whistle>

lifecheshirewhite and Whitejock like this.
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good to see Larry Grayson back in charge at Blackpool again and this time without a paedo hyster robbing bandit as owner

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Its now being stated that there has been a complete breakdown in communication between the club and Pontus. Phil Hay is now saying there are elements that the club are not happy about regarding behaviour and so expect to see a parting of the ways.

So my post of yesterday CB crisis is relevant. They knew of the problem yet still released O'Connor and Diaz, then sold Halme? Must be another CB due in? Must be a plan

Whitejock likes this.
  17. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

There is a BIG signing due, and hopefully it will be announced very shortly. There is one slight hiccough which needs to be addressed first though.

Basically I have a bunion & can't get boots to fit these days.

And Pontus lad, you might think you're big, but believe me, CBs don't come any bigger than me!

18. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

For me that is a lot of youngsters that may or may not come good, including White if he has been bought as first team ready. Would prefer a few more of the likes of Costa that will improve the side. I want autos this year though I'm nervous that we will be nowhere near as good as last season after the way we tailed off after Christmas.

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Offer from a UK club of £5.5m on the table, Pontus expected to be gone within 48 hours. Looks like Blunts or Villa?

20. patb

patb Well-Known Member

Phil Hay‏@PhilHay_ 7m7 minutes ago

Phil Hay Retweeted Phil Hay

Offer on the table for Pontus Jansson from another English club and his exit from Leeds United set to be confirmed in the next 48hrs. Told the bid is £5.5m.

Phil Hay added,

Phil Hay@PhilHay_
    Replying to @ivanrod83 @swanandrew and 2 others
    as best I can tell, the relationship between Jansson and the club has broken down. There are things Leeds aren’t happy about in terms of attitude etc and I’d expect a parting of ways very soon.
    224 replies 67 retweets 110 likes