1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jan 21, 2022.

1. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

The Daily Fail Doc hmmm.
    I'm trying to keep away from our transfer news as it does my head in these days. but, of course I will always come across it when reading forums etc. I honestly believe if Orta travelled abroad which on pictures he did. there has to be something between 2 clubs somewhere you don't travel to a different country just to ask a question. so whoever it is both clubs have made a meeting and something must be close or positive.
    Thing is did he actually go to Austria or did he go somewhere in Germany.
    Its a bits weird we are dealing with Red Bull with our recent unfinished business you would of thought both would be staying well away from each other at the present moment.

leeds60 likes this.
  2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Red Bull gives you Wiiings

1566578451207-redbull-twoup.png.jpeg

SIDDAS likes this.
  3. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Too true glorious leader i bet some on that list owe us money. Poveda is worth nothing as he is injured i believe. How much a week do we pay these bit part players that never see the matchday experience bench of nine.

4. wakeybreakyheart

I would like you to explain how he did that.

5. wakeybreakyheart

Can't see us winning that hearing. Then we will go to court and guess who the winners will be then. Rads has a habit of paying up without a fight so let's see what he does.

6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

He came in when our youth teams were pretty much non existent.

He played a significant part in us winning promotion to the top u23 league. That makes the signings of Bate, Hjelde etc al all the easier to make knowing you are at the top of the tier in the youth team.

Although only Struijk and Meslier have really gone on to first team regulars, the rest of the u23 team all played their part.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  7. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

You seem to have skipped the huge influx in orta’s first year that were subsequently pretty much all shipped out in a fire sale the following year Doc… helping leave us in financially dire straights for our promotion push in bielsa’s first year.

Also, you’re ‘profit’ listing is pretty presumptuous that every kid in the academy named will turn a profit!

That aside. The reality of the model as we all know is to unearth a few gems that pay for the failures. Clearly we’ve done that.

so you can sum orta up best for me in terms of pre and post bielsa. Pre bielsa he was a disaster. But he was then instrumental in getting bielsa, and subsequently his 23s policy… interestingly focussed on more uk talent… has been a success.

8. wakeybreakyheart

Plenty of u23s missung from that list. I can remember a goalie or two and what about Edmunson.

9. wakeybreakyheart

Think the pull of Bielsas coaching has drawn younger players looking to prigress and up their wages in the future.

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Yes there were plenty of senior players he bought who were shyte and shipped out but the OP is about the kids he brought to the club not about kids who were already here like Huffer or even Kalvin Phillips, Gotts, Shaks, Cresswell, Pearce etc just about the kids he brought into the club.

Why are there so many on the profit list? Think its now accepted that most of the kids Orta brought in are now worth money. In fact the players Orta spent money on will have increased in value in a big way. Any player who has played for the first team will be worth way more money than we paid. Joffy is worth a fortune, Greenwood not anywhere near Joffy, but Greenwood has started for the first team a couple of times. Any player who has been listed as a reserve for a first team match will also have seen a huge increase. Lewis Bate was offered a pro contract at Chelsea, so that means a high valuation and now hes played for Leeds first team a couple of times ……

11. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Victor Orta joined Leeds end of May 2017 and set about organising a squad for the following season in a relatively short time frame. Tommy Christianson was appointed head coach and don't forget our main striker Chris Wood left days before the window slammed shut after refusing to sign a new deal which effectively forced his transfer out.

On balance I think Orta did a good job that summer and I'll outline why by listing both his transfer dealings and also the resigning of players on longer contracts which ultimately led to our promotion success or large fees for young players who were subsequently sold.

Significant signings Summer 2017;

Pontus (loan made permanent)
    Klich (turned out very good in the end)
    Hadi Sacko (fans favouite...ok maybe not)
    Felix Wiedwald (didn't work out)
    Caleb Ekuban (decent but couldn't hit a barn door)
    Alioski (top signing)
    Vernan Anita (no good and a failed signing)
    Pawel Cibiki (flattered to deceive)
    Jay-Roy Grot (one for the future that didn't work out)

Significant Departures Summer 2017;

Chris Wood
    Charlie Taylor

Players signing new contracts 2017;

Liam Cooper 4 years
    Luke Ayling 4 years
    Gaetano Beradi 3 years
    Kalvin Phillips 4 years
    Staurt Dallas 3 years

Young players given long contracts 2017 (which ultimately meant we received good transfer fees);

Peacock Farrell 3 years
    Ronaldo Vieira 4 years
    Jack Clarke 4 years

Contract extension errors 2017;

Euan O'Kane 4 years
    Conor Shaugnessy 4 years

So In Victor's first summer he signed Klich & Alioski as well as identifying key team members in Coops, Kalvin, Beradi, Ayling & Dallas. That's seven absolutely key players. The contract extensions of BPF, Vieira & Clarke led to nearly £20M income for the club which in part financed our promotion.

That's a pretty impressive impact on our club and in my opinion he hit the ground running and hasn't let up since.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Doc likes this.
  12. milkyboy

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united-reserves/alletransfers/verein/20116

Noted that there was a mix of young ‘first teamers’ who ended up in the 23s because they weren’t good enough… but there were still a few ‘23’s’ not in your list from that first year…
    Madger Gomes, Adrian Balboa, Hugo Diaz, Alejandro Machuca, Oriel Rey, Ousama Siddiki, Kun Temenuzhkov and Ouasim Bouy

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Some of those were before Orta landed Milky, but yes there are some I missed. Kamil Miazek was sold for cash and had played for the first team. I was surprised he was allowed to leave as I rated him higher than Caprile? Bhouy was a freebie for the first team but the worst ever signing agreed. Hugo Diaz was our 23s skipper who won the title for the 23s and a great player who was allowed to go back to Spain. Balboa, Machuca and Rey never saw Leeds they were part of some dodgy deal in Spain that kept them in Spain?? Maybe something to do with that football academy thing that a Leeds director was setting up and part of the Lyonaise thing that took Bhouy and then Idaguchi?

14. milkyboy

That's a myopic assessment jamster. By all means dish out credit for 'contact extensions' to players that wanted them. But let's review those signings:

Pontus (loan made permanent) - already here, permanent deal already agreed, just needed signing
    Klich (turned out very good in the end) - excellent signing but already on club's radar from Monk's time
    Hadi Sacko (fans favouite...ok maybe not) - disaster, currently in romania
    Felix Wiedwald (didn't work out) - no comment
    Caleb Ekuban (decent but couldn't hit a barn door) - nice lad with a pushy agent who keeps getting him gigs at a high level though he rarely troubles the scorer. Rarity in that apparently it wasn't the occasion that got to him. He couldn't score in training either.
    Alioski (top signing) - good signing
    Vernan Anita (no good and a failed signing) - agreed
    Pawel Cibiki (flattered to deceive) - scraped games in minor European leagues, recently banned for taking bribes. So let's be realistic and call it a bad signing
    Jay-Roy Grot (one for the future that didn't work out) - lovely lad, dogs abuse from fans completely unnecessary... but his performances spoke for themselves. Currently in Denmark.

If that's hitting the ground running what does a disaster look like?

To be fair you missed Saiz - who was a good signing (although again already tracked by Monk) despite the attitude/ending
    and Gomez - who now gets the odd game for Crewe and the legendary Oasim Bouy who has made a career out of avoiding kicking a football. But perhaps despite 4 year deals they weren't significant.

Radrizzani was himself openly critical of the playing staff decisions taken that year.

Fair minded chap that I am. I think Orta has done well post-bielsa. He came in with us having no u23s, so that first year strategy was understandable but in my opinion at the time and now completely misguided/mis-timed. We didn't have the resources or league position to implement the strategy. It also reeked of hiring a junior low-rent coach he could exert his influence on.

The club gambled heavily on Bielsa and it paid off big time. But it was an 'all-in' poker move. Bielsa managed to get us up, despite not having a pot to piss in because of the first year 'experiment'. He might well have got us up a year earlier if we weren't skint.

All's well that ends well <cheers>

Doc likes this.
  15. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Absolutely.

The work Radz, Orta, Kinnear and co have done at the club has been exceptional.

We have the Stadium back, the first team are looking to establish themselves in the top division, the training facilities are updated, the plans for stadium development is moving forward and the youth teams are improving.

Add in that we have a globally recognised coaching team working here and the brand of football we play and we are a very desirable club to play for.

Things are very good at the moment and there have been many people, staff, players who have played their part in the recent successes. Many of whom are no longer at the club or players who didn't quite make the grade but nonetheless played their part no matter how big or small.

Can anyone think of another club with a better upwards trajectory than Leeds United over the last 5 years?

16. Jammy 07

I'll happily pass your comments on to Victor this afternoon.

Don't be surprised if you witness him holding a bottle of milk whilst doing his customary ' V ' sign on MOTD tonight <cheers>

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Well that certainly rules out derby, who gloated over us in that disastrous semi <laugh>

NostradEmus likes this.
  18. milkyboy

To add to my earlier post. Radz had no football experience... he followed Orta's lead/advice. They fcked up the first year. They needed to be quick learners. They showed they were.

It's to the great credit of all 3 of the senior team (inc Kinnear) that they were able to regroup and deliver. The greatest credit goes to Bielsa for pulling them out of a hole... but to get him and for him to stay and be happy they had to give him everything that he wanted. Parking spaces etc etc. They did. They gave him the control he needed to succeed and rolled their eyeballs and rolled out the cheque book as and when required to succumb to his frequently bizarre demands.

Doc and NostradEmus like this.
  19. milkyboy

i'll look out for it... I hope you mange to extract your nose from his arse for long enough to pass on my views <cheers>

which as you will see from both my earlier and later posts are balanced and actually quite complementary!

NostradEmus likes this.
  20. Jammy 07

Are you referring to those comments from 2017 to 2019 are just the more recent ones ?

Yeh, yeh, yeh you begrudgingley now give some faint praise so well done <cheers>