1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This weekend seems to be all about how few goals we concede against City, but last season this same group of players went up against City, Chelsea and Liverpool and didnt concede a goal in one of our games against each and picked up points, so City, Arsenal and Chelsea are not nailed on losses for Leeds. Lets hope for a cohesive tactical plan, not like the one that failed so very badly on Monday night.

Lots of talking points in the media over the last few days:

1. Does Marsch prefer Joffy or Greenwood

2. Get the feeling wholesale changes needed under Marsch so think Koch will go back to Germany, Klich will be gone, Raphinha gone, Roberts gone, Shackelton gone and feel that Struijk will also go as overlooked completely by Marsch

3. Could be some upset in the camp as we saw Klich and Rodrigo fuming at being subbed, when nobody played well that night and the subs made were a bit pointless and added nothing. Jesse has had an International break and then another 16 day break to get over some of his tactics, but it never worked the other night whatever it was?

4. Football is crazy at times and we could see Conte and Pochetino swapping jobs in the summer. Pochetino took Spurs to the CL finals and then Spurs refused to give him money to carry on building his team. Daniel Levy deserves to have watched his club languish outside the top 4 ever since and a list of managers who have failed since Poch.

5. Wondering about the coaching staff at ER next season as it now looks certain that the bald American Ralf has next to him on the Man Utd bench will be leaving old Trafford and joining Marsch and Toe shak. Will Taylor be running the 23s again or will Jacko move back into his old role?

6. According to Blackburn Poveda has bulked up during his recovery and is almost unplayable in training. He went back there last week and was playing the other night off the bench. Wonder where he will be next season as we have stacks of wingers to sort out. Mowbray at Blackburn says the penny has dropped with Poveda as he now realises he doesnt need to beat everyone on the pitch before making a pass.

7. Elia Caprile thinks he will be surplus to requirement at Leeds and wants to go to a Seria A club. Napoli seem to want him, but there are also countless others who want him too after his brilliant season on loan. Caprile says Meslier is firm No1 and Kleasson brought in rather than try Caprile

8. If the story about Leeds chasing young Ramsey from Aberdeen is true, and it seems that he has been given permission to speak to Leeds. Then I think Marsch has made his mind up on Cody Drameh. Ramsey is wanted by Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool and has just won the SPL young player of the season award. 18yo and played 32 games so far this season. A right back and will require £6m for this kid. So even though only 18yo if you are going to pay that amount of cash, its not to play him in the 23s I would suggest. So the cash we get for Drameh would cover his fee? Ramsey says his hero is Trent Alexander-Arnold, but he knows there are another 2 RBs behind TAA so Leeds would be his best option to get a pathway to the first team

2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read in an Interview that Marsch was impressed about how quickly Greenwood adapted to the new tactics.

Irishshako likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ralf Rangnik has today been named as Austria Head Coach and its believed one of Marshs coaches has been interviewed about taking the assistants role? So love to know what the set up will be in the summer

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Last game of the season tonight for the 23s, and its 7pm at the Emirates Stadium Leeds need to get a win from Arsenal to avoid relegation being a fact, but Arsenal are 3rd in the table. A win would leave Everton vulnerable on goal difference but we could still be safe if Chelsea lose their last 2 matches even if we lose tonight. Chelsea are 1 point behind us

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  5. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

As i did Elland.

6. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Interesting finale to the Championship season coming up over the next week or so.

Bournemouth who looked shoe-ins for automatic promotion now have what looks like a winner takes all clash against Forest mid-week and there's also going to be a mad scramble to see who can grab the final play off spot.

The Blades head to QPR tonight and I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing them no luck whatsoever.

It might not be pretty but it's always dramatic and entertaining in it's own inimitable fashion.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Corberan has done a stunning job at the dogz too and he did it on no money

speaking of no money, well Sir Jim Ratcliffe who owns Ineos has just put a £4.2 Billion bid in for Chelsea and Im betting he takes the club. Ineos involved in cycling, football as he also owns Nice in the French league, athletic sponsorship, F1 involvement with Mercedes, basket ball. A British chemical and energy giant who will also be saving the country from high gas prices as he looks to start a new type of fracking too, which should upset all the right people

FORZA LEEDS, Old Git and Jammy 07 like this.
  8. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Understands them perfectly.

Not been so good at implementing them so far.

9. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

No he is not going to improve us is he. One for rads to cash in on.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  10. milkyboy

Quite hoping the rumours linking us to Brennan Johnson are true - we’re really short of wingers after all <laugh> - so probably need forest not to go up for that to be likely.

re ramsey the Aberdeen 18 year old right back… be really unusually for him to be first choice at such a young age age so doesn’t necessarily mean farewell to drameh, but if you’re giving him a path to the first team, then it certainly could.

watched drameh at boro the other night Doc… appreciate he’s had good reviews there and it’s just one game but he was mediocre and part responsible for boro’s second.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Think the true pathway for either Drameh or Ramsey is as back up to Ayling. We have to accept that Ayling is a starter but will not do every game through the season so needs a back up. Bielsa chose Shackelton but he was gash and hope to see him sold. Ramsey sounds like even better potential than Drameh so if you spend that sort of ash he surely sits on the bench. I expect Drameh or Ramsey to be sat on that bench next season but pointless having both.

if we are keeping with Firpo we also need a back up for him, because Dallas isnt it. We have only Hjelde from the 23s who can play LB as McCarron should be moved on as he aint a LB hes midfield. Remember Helde also played SPL as a 16/17yo but mainly left side CB but did play LB.

12. milkyboy

Yeh hjelde is seen and sees himself as a cb I believe but played in Scotland as a left back. I’ve liked him when I’ve seen him though his pass stats were terrible. Agree if Ramsey came it would likely be end of drameh… especially given our pitch to Ramsey has apparently been we offer a quicker path to the first team than the other clubs sniffing at him.

Doc likes this.
  13. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Here’s a question. Why do people say because we’ve x number of wingers we shouldn’t buy another one. There is such an idea of upgrading what we have. Surely that’s how a club makes progress. Sell a player and replace with better.

FORZA LEEDS and Jammy 07 like this.
  14. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Johnson can play centrally up top, just behind or on either wing. Seems he would fit perfectly in to our 'flexible' forward line as would Aaronson. We have Rodrigo who can do it too.

Not sure where that would leave Harrison, James and Raphinha who are all out and out wide men imo.

Summerville is interesting as he likes to drift inside too and can finish.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  15. milkyboy

It was my comment on this occasion and I was advocating I’d like him irrespective of what we currently have. I think when people point it out they’re generally highlighting that their might be other priorities. But we have a new manager, and in cahoots with mad vic he should be advocating where we need strengthening to suit his style of play.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I saw the clip of Klich but I wasn't aware Rodrigo was also upset. The body language of KP after the Palace game was terrible, Raphinha is using the term "Leeds" need to and not "we". The end of the season can't come soon enough for me.

I have a deep down fear that Marsch is good at talking a good talk but I find it strange he blames pro footballers for falling into bad habits, with the breaks between games and the matches so far he has had more than the equivalent amount of time of an entire preseason. He has spoken out against the way Bielsa trained the players, he has said a few players haven't yet brought into the new way of playing (but they're working hard), I just can't take to him at the moment, I think he is a blagger and I'd not be surprised if a few players can see through him (just my opinion).

He is supposedly a tweak away from the way Bielsa liked to play, are the players really finding it that hard to implement his changes?

Let's hope Orta and Marsch have both a Plan A and a Plan B depending on which division we end up in next season and maybe for a change we will get the transfers in and out sorted real quick

Whitejock likes this.
  17. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Won’t be transfers worth talking about. Any big ones likely to be out sadly. As bad as this season has been, another one would be inexcusable if same mistakes are made

bucks_is_leeds, Doc and ristac like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Poveda, Summerville, Miller, Costa, Harrison, McKinstry, James, Raphinha

Just the odd winger

Whitejock likes this.
  19. milkyboy

rich… I have no idea whether marsch will prove to be a decent manager for us. Genuinely no idea.

But honestly it’s cuckoo land to expect some one to come in and instigate a style of play in a couple of months. Pre-season with no matches? Maybe… bielsa did it. Coming in to a relegation battle. No chance. You have the pressure of results dictating what is practical to change. You can often tighten up defensively (usually at the expense of attacking football).

in terms of breaking habits. By definition they’re hard to break. Spend 3 years following your guy round the pitch, then 1 day you stop. All 11 players need to do everything in synch. It only takes 1 to forget, in the heat of the game or when they’re tired.

Apparently Howe has done a brilliant job at Newcastle. But he took over and made no difference whatsoever for two months until we gift wrapped them a win they didn’t deserve at our place. They bought a few defenders and tightened up at the back. Now they’re mid table but they sure as hell aren’t playing pretty football.

xbpod, NostradEmus, Whitejock and 3 others like this.
  20. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

3 first teamers, others are on loan or youth set up.
    Hardly an overload.