1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, May 13, 2022.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well dont think I’ve ever been this depressed about my team, like I am now. Even when we had bandits and robbers owning the club. The board have managed to conspire to shoot themselves in the foot, and destroy the foundations we had built over the last 4 years.

Impossible to go into the second season in the Premier League with a small squad. It wqs a gamble last season but even then we had to cover for long term injuries to Koch, Llorente and Rodrigo. We also had small injuries to Cooper and Phillips, we also had Forshaw out long term. On top of that we had suspensions for Cooper and Phillips.

So that should have been warning enough, but it seems the board decided to bite the bullet and gamble again. Probably because they saw the progress of Rodrigo and the way he ended last season, we had a fully fit and firing spine of Phillips, Cooper, Bamford, Ayling Lorente, Koch, Dallas, Klich, Harrison and Raphinha and additions of Firpo and James.

However horrendous injuries happened, long term injuries to the teams spine, Firpo, Koch, Cooper, Llorente, Ayling, Phillips, Bamford and many more all out injured and we saw the kids robbed from the U23s to play stand-in roles. To cap it all off in the January window no players were brought in. Not even a loan player.

We saw the U23s team who were fighting Man City for the league title, tumble down the league and actually get relegated because the team could never play their best players as they were needed to be part of the first team squad. This situation borders on criminal incompetence, neglect of duties!

We could see the first team and the reserves both relegated this season and thats a disgrace. The fans have been brilliant, but an inquiry is sorely needed into this catastrophe and someone needs to take the blame and apologise to the fans for the worst season in living memory. The foundations laid were trashed instead of being enhanced. We have known for a couple of seasons midfield needed additions, we needed experience, we got none and we are now reaping the deserved reward.

Rightly or wrongly the head coach changed in February. Bielsa completely changed the way Leeds Utd play in the close season. He got the squad fit and showed them how he wanted them to play. So the first match of the new season showed a transformation that nobody had expected. Stoke City a former Premier League team with big name players were steamrollered and blown away. A complete football revolution completed in a few weeks.

Jesse Marsch has had 3 months with a month of it having no football due to International breaks. I can only see an actual improvement for the Leicester game, his first match in charge. We saw a team who looked well drilled and organised and should have won the game, but unlucky not to do so. The signs were good but in fairness we have gone backwards and gradually got worse. We scraped some results together without looking convincing but we were putting points on the board. Yes the last 3 games were expected to struggle and maybe even get no points, but the way we got no points was a disgrace. We showed nothing except a bit of fight. We were reckless incompetent nowhere near good enough for the Premier League.

Now lets see what happens if we are relegated. If we go down and knowing the World Cup is close, you can wave bye bye to Raphinha, Phillips, Bamford, Meslier, Llorente, Koch, Rodrigo, Firpo. Then what do you do about this lot:
    • Bogutsz
    • Kiko
    • Edmondson
    • McCalmont
    • Kun
    • Caprile
    • Davies
    • Poveda
    • Costa
    • Drameh
    All been out on loan and most have been shyt

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Sadly all spot on Doc. Only positive if this goes pear shaped is surely Orta, Radz etc will head off somewhere else to weave their magic. Just hope they don't bring the parachute payments with them.
    Perhaps more important, it seems were taking in Doncaster races tomorrow eve. My knowledge of horses is nil so any tips would be greatly appreciated chaps. Jammy is already scouting for me <ok>

Irishshako likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Was watching the live presser but had to switch off as Marsch mouth runs away with him. At least we will have both Raphinha and Harrison starting so if we need goals and we do, we must use Raphinha up top with Joffy. Pointless trying for a draw, we must attack

4. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Pointless trying for a draw you say? Jesse said it’s not a must win in his presser and that they’re going for 3 but 1 would be good. ‍♂️

ristac likes this.
  5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

1 point keeps our hopes alive, but reality is that Burnley getting 1 point from their games is more probable than losing them both. They would still be ahead of us on goal difference. Last season there would be not many worrying about not getting results against Brighton and Brentford

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems there was a meeting at TA yesterday with Marsch and the players and the Orta Kinnear, Radz and Paratha. Will that have been welcomed by the players or resented. I suspect the latter, this is just a demonstration of boardroom panic

Jammy 07 likes this.
  7. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

Threats, pleading, bigger bonus?

8. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Marsch's here - injury update
    Harrison contusion looks positive. Training tomorrow andready for Sunday. Rapha fine. Patrick too early to tell. Evaluate that next few days.

Staying bright?
    Feeling after matches is painful. First chance/shot opponent has in the game goes in. Add that to the red cards make the games difficult. Have to start better, get the lead and eliminate the opponent from scoring so quickly

Red card message to players?
    Discipline is important. Best way to give us a chance is to not jeoparidese the state of the match with reds.

Opponents nothing to play for - help you?
    Brighton - In theory, heard the phrase on the beach, but watch their game last weekend you would not have said that. Incredible performance. Watched that match in London and we saw a team very clear and confident with the ball, against the ball. Expect that again. Preparing for them is tricky. Differnt things in different phases. We know we need the result

Bamford
    Everyone working together to evaluate his chances.

Mentality after the reds?
    Certainly a discussion point. We know being aggressive, but not overzealous. Discipline or pressure of the moment or players want to achieve so badly. We know these last two we cannot afford more reds

Over wound up?
    I asked the coaches, but even my last talk before Chelsea was calm. Finger on the pulse of what the team needs, tactically, training wise and from my personality, message was to stay calm and focused. Continued with that, but obviously a team that is aggressive, especially at home wants to achieve for their fans. Perform for their fans. Aware of the fact that killed us and cannot have it again.

Ignore Burnley result?
    Our approach is such we have to win the match. Regardless of Burnley, they have a match on Thursday too. Three points helps us and that's our focus.

Stamped your philosophy yet?
    Blend of different things. Style of play and being pragmatic. Balance of that with the seven matches before City was really, really good. Picked up big results and turned the momentum. That came from seizing the moment against Norwich. Had to find a way to win and changed the momentum. That's clear right now. Situation not easy and clear we needed points. Mentally and physically ready to seize moments.

Not close to what I want it to look like. Work ethic is always there, which makes working with these players fun.

Using pundits' relegation talk as motivation?
    Certanly a chip on the shoulder with the identity of this club. Have not read much of the media coverage. Have to focus energy on regenerating and going again with backs against the wall. Psychologically and mentally healthy important. Outside talk little effect

Biggest game for years?
    Haven't been here long enough to comment. We know we need to win

Support from elsewhere in the club?
    Ownership spoke to the team yesterday. We are unified. We all believe in each other. Impressed in difficult moments with the ownership and board. Their ability to stay together, unified. That part's been awesome.

Discipline issue - before you arrived to - still in control of the dressing room?
    Not about my control, but are we united? Desire on the pitch. Two red cards, we know they crossed the one and they hurt us. We want to be aggressive.

Fans?
    Phenomenal. Amazing. Moment after the game, all disappointed, but walking about the pitch and there was a little boy who ran on the field. Running after his heroes. Kalvin grabbed him and took him over. The way the fans, they see who KP is, because his heart and his life is on the one for this club. Unique sense of community in this club. Very thankful to be a part of that identity and understand how special that is.

Part of the reason for the reds - no accident Luke's tackle comes in front of the away fans. They want to be do everything to please the fans.

leeds down south likes this.
  9. Eireleeds1

Probably telling them the bonuses will have to be put on hold
    If the owners are meddling in team affairs that almost smacks of Cellinos time. That's worrying and smells of panic to me. They shouldn't be anywhere near the players for next nine days as none of them have a clue about football

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  10. Eireleeds1

The more I think of it would we have a better chance of a win Sunday if stadium was empty. Really hope they can handle what will surely be a cauldron

11. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Go for the Grey if it ****s before the start of the race.:)

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  12. Eireleeds1

Ill remember that <laugh><ok>

Irishshako likes this.
  13. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Well that's what my Grandad told me.:)

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Not much to play with. Shaks at RB or do we go with a back 5 when we need to attack? i would go for it and have Koch at RB and also have Kenneh alongside Phillips after all Nohan Kenneh is the closest thing we have to another Phillips at the club. Gelhardt is still the only player at the club who is competent in front of goal. Do we go with Bate instead of Klich, but Bate wasn't effective the other night, but nobody was. Its shyt or bust time, no point hoping for a draw and playing 6 CBs.

Meslier
    Shackelton
    Llorente
    Cooper
    Firpo
    Phillips
    Koch
    Bate
    Harrison
    Raphinha
    Gehardt

Rodrigo
    Struijk
    Klich
    Greenwood
    Klaesson
    Cresswell
    Kenneh
    Hjelde

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  15. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

We need to score goals simple as that. we can't defend no matter who we put out so we have to go for the jugular. it has to be kevin keegan style football in we will score 1 more than you. As on who will leave if we go down quite a few I'd expect but I'd also say quite a few if we stay up as the team is far from good enough at present even with a fully fit squad.

16. ellandback

Forum Moderator

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

18. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Huddersfield Town playing some decent football with O’Brian pulling the strings. Wonder what would have happened if we had spent a few quid on him. At least he would have been better than some of what we’ve had in midfield all season?

20. Eireleeds1

Probably telling them the bonuses will h
    hed be injured or suspended