1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well unlucky for Sinisttera but hopefully not a full blown hamstring issue, just a tweak. Some nice play from some of our new players. Liked Adams a lot and Kristensen. Llorente and Koch did ok again and look solid but a good LB still needed to provide cover. Paddy still not at the races and Aaronson is a handful and good to see Adams and Roca in tandem, but Forshaw obviously shagged all the players wives because he was kicked to death and withdrawn on 30mins. Rodrigo looked good but wish team mates could watch his eyes and got on the end of some dream passes. He took his penalty well before going off. Joffy looked like Joffy and was unlucky with a dream chip or should he have squared to make it 2-0 and win the match? They went down the other end as we had no defenders and scored the equaliser wtf defending was that? overall a scrappy affair and still struggling to see the plan come together.

So we know we are trying to buy a very good striker but seem to be persisting with Special K because AC Milan are skint. We need to really be moving our horizons away from CDK now I believe as Club Brugge are in the same boat as we were with Barcelona. If we are telling Brugge we walk away by the end of tonight, great. We are around £10m ahead of Milan and get the feeling nobody else is offering anywhere near that. Brugge could just tell CDK he's staying so the kid is then forced to accept the Leeds deal. He's never rubbished Leeds he just preferred Milan over Leeds, but the club feel he will come?

So after a brilliant speedy start to the window we seem to have stalled. Its not like there are no striker options out there besides CDK, so why the struggle. I hear Kalimuendo has no option but to leave PSG now as he has been transfer listed, he even scored the other night out in Japan against Kawasaki. We know PSG want to sell but do we know the lad wants to come to England? We know Newcastle, Everton and Southampton are also chasing him? We see other names coming out of the woodwork like the lad Terrier who is valued at £35m. He isnt worth it at 25yo and only had one decent season which was last season. As Milky mentioned in the brekky thread he hasnt always played as a striker? Seems to be plenty of these “hybrid” strikers around today and his wikki page says hes a second striker so maybe the missing link in the 4-2-2-2 system? I also see a lot of African heritage players who could be risky as the CONCAF comps always clash with other major comps so end up being moved which means these players go missing in our season outside International breaks? Sekou Mara has gone to Southampton so Victor losing out because he's been waiting for CDK, come on Victor wake up mate

Come on Victor dont spoil your summer and get this new striker over the line. Oh and by the way that LB you wanted to buy 2 years ago, go out and get him before Chelsea snap him up. Josko Gvardiol is now the hottest LB on the planet. You weren't wrong then so go do it mate, plus hes still only 20yo now.

Only Shaks gone out this week so far, but very obvious Lewis Bate is going to go out on loan, will Leif Davies be sold to Ipswich, will Poveda be sold and how long before Costa and Kiko are gone? The 21s seems to be taking shape and with luck we can win back promotion to the top tier after last seasons fiasco. Best team in the league gets relegated because dare not field its best players…….

The Harrison debate now means he gets offered a new contract and pay rise because he is into the last 2 years of his contract. Lets face some facts here, if we were to accept silly money we would need to cover the 10 goals he scores for us every season. The dozen Raphinha scores too, so 22 goals we need to score this season. Any of the new players likely to contribute? Sinisttera and Aaronson yes and lets also hope Bamford is back and weighs in with ten or so, but we seem to be creating chances but guess what we are not tucking them away yet?

2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rene Maric, 29, to join Leeds United as assistant manager
    By Phil Hay

please log in to view this image

Leeds United are set to appoint former Borussia Dortmund assistant Rene Maric as Jesse Marsch’s No 2, The Athletic understands.

Maric is expected to link up with Marsch’s squad next week, completing the backroom team at Elland Road. The 29-year-old has been out of the game since May following his exit from Dortmund alongside the club’s former manager, Marco Rose.

Rose and his staff were dismissed by Dortmund at the end of the Bundesliga season, despite securing a second-place finish in the table. Early exits from the Champions League and the Europa League are thought to have contributed to the decision to replace them.

Despite his young age, Maric has held a number of high-profile roles in European football, including assistant boss at RB Salzburg before Marsch’s appointment there in 2019. The Austrian spent two years with Borussia Monchengladbach between 2019 and 2021, again as Rose’s number two, before following him to Dortmund last summer.

Marsch has taken time to select a new assistant at Leeds having initially targeted fellow American Chris Armas to fill the post. Armas, who was with Ralf Rangnick at Manchester United last season, is understood to have said no to the job for personal reasons.

Maric is now in line to replace Frankie Schiemer, who operated as Leeds’ assistant after Marsch’s arrival at Elland Road in February but has now taken up a consultancy role with the club instead. Mark Jackson and Cameron Toshack, both of whom were with Marsch during the final 12 matches of last season, are continuing in their roles.

Ex-Manchester United employee Ewan Sharp has joined Leeds as an additional coach while Pierre Barrieu — formerly of Swansea City, Sheffield Wednesday and New York Red Bulls — was appointed as fitness coach earlier this month.

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

So for the Wolves game we have no Cooper, no Firpo, no Sinisttera and no Forshaw. Plus no Dallas and no Ayling which means 6 first teamers out and the season not started yet. That Bielsa fella caused some damage didnt he

Whitejock, foolee, ellandback and 2 others like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

So what plusses can we take from the Aussie tour? None for me, this was all about vash when we should have been drilling tactics and processes back at TA. We shouldnt have been playing prem teams because they have been too tasty by far and we almost lost Archie Gray to a broken ankle, Forshaw could have a bad knee problem and we saw plenty of assaults on our players. Really long internal flights do not prepare players for a new season.

Have we any positives from the close season? Aaronson, Rocca, Kristensen and Adams look the real deal but not had chance to see them as a unit yet. Sinisttera we haven't really seen yet. Bamford looks to be way behind schedule still, Gelhardt looks to be a handful, but still unsure about Summerville and Greenwood or even Drameh

foolee, Infidel, Irishshako and 2 others like this.
  5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

To be fair Doc most of us could drill them on Jesse's tactics in an afternoon. The bloke now has nowhere to hide and we'll need to see points on the board from a decent run of opening fixtures.

Not impressed and bloody awful to watch but if he does the business and keeps us in the PL then fair enough I guess.

OLOF, ristac, foolee and 1 other person like this.
  6. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Spot on Doc<ok>

Doc likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Suppose the only positive so far is we didnt get battered 4-0 by some yank team called Minnasotta Utd bye fwank<laugh>

8. Irishshako

<laugh>

9. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

You could tell the priority of the tour when the kick off was late due to fire works and a light show, only for the game to start on a surface that wasn't fit to play on. At least no one got presented with a trophy like some of the pre season "tournements" They're an absolute embarrassment. It's only a matter of time before someone takes a Premier League game "on the road" to Singapore. My money is on Scum to be the first to pull that one off.

Irishshako and Doc like this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Some honest points per performance over the last couple of games:

• Meslier 7.5
    • Kristensen 7
    • Koch 7
    • Hjelde 7
    • Gelhardt 7
    • Llorente 6.5
    • Struijk 5
    • Adams 6.5
    • Forshaw 6.5
    • Harrison 6.5
    • Aaronson 6.5
    • Bamford 6
    • Rodrigo 6
    • Rocca 6.5
    • Greenwood 6
    • Summerville 6
    • James 6
    • Gyaby 6
    • Klich 5.5
    Vast improvement required from some but we see some good numbers for individual defenders so Marsh needs to pick the best defensive unit from the ones used so far.

Has Klich done enough and how about Struijk? Llorente has done great in defence and distribution but caught in possession too often. Is Bamford going to be fit enough? And where to fit James

11. Irishshako

Didn't the FA excuse the scum from playing in the cup one year so thay could play abroad.<grr>

ellandback, wakeybreakyheart and Doc like this.
  12. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Was the world club championship.

wakeybreakyheart and Irishshako like this.
  13. Irishshako

<ok> spot on, one rule and all that.<ok>

14. NostradEmus

Got my tickets for Cagliari today. Wanted 3 together and struggled. Looks like East Upper is open. Reckon it will be a sell out.

Took me half an hour to work out Google pay. **** me I was getting a tad irate.

please log in to view this image

15. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Half an hour is 30 minutes <laugh><laugh><laugh>

NostradEmus likes this.
  16. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

You are having a laugh. You are way out on some players. Did you actually waych Adams or are you stll misding Saint Kalvin.

17. NostradEmus

Correct, well done.

****ing hell, you're evolving. <laugh>

Jammy 07 likes this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I watched all the games wakey and I have an opinion which is unbiased unlike yours. But hey ho you know best as usual, top man, top fan, top pundit surprised you dont work for the YEP

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’ve not posted too much recently as I’ve not wanted to put a downer on peoples expectations and excitement of a new upcoming season.

We’ve brought depth, we’ve a poor starting 11 and we’ve the worst coach in the PL we already need a miracle.

OLOF, 2 pennth and Jammy 07 like this.
  20. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I too think Doc is way out, I think he’s been too generous with his scoring, Meslier and Kristensen I’ll concede 7.5 ish, the rest 6 maximum on a good day.

I just can’t understand anyone feeling these players are even on par with Raphinha or Phillips, sold our best two, brought in bang average, awful coach and tactics