1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Weekend Reality Check

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Aug 7, 2020.

1. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Must admit to having had glass or 6 tonight so this may not make sense but the trouble with football is that players are nothing but a commodity to be used at the whim of money men sorry to say that the whole football set up stinks.
    I don't believe in loan players, I don't believe in deferred payment. Cash up front would sort a lot of problems out in football
    If you want the goods pay for them, never did believe in buying things on the never never or am I just a stupid old b***** living in the past

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The PL has been ruined by money. When you look at the prices being asked for players who’ve never kicked a ball in the PL it’s a disgrace. Throw in all the teams below the PL that risk going under with no fans or ticket income....

I’d love to see all loans banned, I’m sure the Ben Whites of the world would filter down to the lower leagues providing some much needed income. As well as banning loans limit the amount of U21s each team can have

leeds down south, 2 pennth and Gessa like this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Think he’s 23 in October, they won’t get a bean for him if they run his contract down. Normally in these circumstances it’s the players that get their way - not many clubs can chuck cash away on a principle.

given we were all demanding 20+ for none premiership proven Phillips ( and we turned down that from villa last summer) I think we’ve bid in the right ball park, for a player we know bielsa rates and knows the system - he’s a ‘risk free’ signing from that perspective and worth more to us than he might be to another club. If they’ve turned down 22m then I think it’s walk away time.

leeds60, Doc and ristac like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

or looking at it from his point of view, BhA have never thought much of him and just sent him out to L2 and L1 clubs until Bielsa got him. They refused to pay him much as he wasnt in their plans. This week alone BHA have bought 2 CBs meaning there is no chance of Ben playing this season as hes not a defender who can play their system. He is seen as a saleable asset and thats it. By refusing to sign a new contract BHA will have to gamble that someone offers more than £22m for him or they gamble that sitting him in the reserves doesnt devalue him. They can cash in as everyone knows they need cash their choice. Just greed

southernwhite and Gessa like this.
  5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bielsa will need to start having a think about the White issue now as paying £25m for someone with no Prem experience is a huge gamble. Especially when you can pay half that for a CB with Prem experience and a full international. A data report stated last week that Juan Foyth you got Ben White with loads of extras and available for £10m. We are not blessed with loads of cash and breaking our transfer record on a defender?

the crazy money being asked for UK players is off the wall. We could spend £90m on 3 Championship players White, Benrhama and Watkins but we only have £45m

2 pennth, ristac and Gessa like this.
  6. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Is the 45m quoted true?

7. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Would you tell the car dealer how much you have?

8. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Very true, I’ve just seen it being mentioned a lot but I think it’s paper talk. Surely we wouldn’t be enquiring about González, White and Benrahma if we can’t afford all of them.

9. milkyboy

Wasn’t there a comment to the effect, our spend would be closer to sheff u than villa.. nice and vague.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. Eric Le Merde

From recent history I would say there is no likelihood that we will know who is being signed before they rock up for a medical and I certainly wouldn't be bragging about how much spare cash I had if I was buying.

2 pennth likes this.

11. Eric Le Merde

Tempers expectations as well for those would be gold diggers - did somebody say "Brighton"?

12. milkyboy

Perhaps but I think you enquire about more than you expect to get... your plans b, c d etc.

Aski and Eric Le Merde like this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leonardo da Silva Lopes Being linked now from Hull

14. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Could somebody diplomatically ask the Hull board whether Lopes is good enough for our u23's?

Gessa and southernwhite like this.
  15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Already have on their Transfer thread, rather a sarcastic you can have him for £25m reply ;)

Irishshako likes this.
  16. lifecheshirewhite

You can get the whole city for a tenner, and that's over priced.

17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Cheers fella. Finally got it <cheers>

Aski likes this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

So it looks like Edinson Cavani is going to Benfica but not for the £11m wages he wanted, he has accepted £8m per year so only £150k per week <laugh>

Actually you are getting a £100m player for free and paying him way way less than Aubamayang, and many more top players earning £350k per week. We are supposed to be paying Kiko £70k per week and Cavani would be value for money looking at it like that.

do you think we should have tried to get him as he would have guaranteed goals (unless injured)

19. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

The worry with that kind of deal is if it causes a divide because of the wage. I know for the club it would be no more expensive because there's no transfer fee but would the players look at it like that.
    I would think he would fit the system so would get the goals if he can stay injury free

Doc likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Every player we look at ends up with an inflated price because crap Sunday league clubs like Southampton, Newcastle, Villa, Palace jump on the bandwagon, then factor in Liverpool for White and Chelsea for Benrhama its a fkg joke. A couple of years ago we were chuffed when we spent £3m on player and now expected to start at £20m for Championship players? Hopefully we are going to find a new way and find a new Ben White, Harry Kane, Pablo for a few quid

ristac, NostradEmus and Gessa like this.