1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Well done Hull FC

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by look_back_in_amber, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I bet FC fans will be pissing themselves reading this, considering we got less than 12,000 for a competitive football game on Saturday. <doh>

2. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Really?

Many of them know the reasons why.

And it's not apathy.

Plus no one trumpets City v Reading up the El Clasico of the EFL.

3. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

The irony of an earlier post in this thread laughing at Hull FC fans for allegedly not knowing where Headingley is, a few
    months later we couldn't sell half the allocation for the Leeds game despite them being our biggest rivals and nearest away game.

People in glass houses and all that!

Seriously though, the vast majority of Hull FC fans are not enjoying City's decline, quite the opposite. You'll always get a vocal few that will rub it in, but then again we have clowns like City Man that would do the same and I think we can all agree he doesn't speak for the majority of us.

look_back_in_amber and Edelman like this.
  4. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Link?

5. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Our excitable local media have told us for years there is no such thing as a friendly between the two world famous clubs innthe capital of rugby league though. The fact they have shown the attendance in previous years as accompanied by remarks about the attendance showing what a hotbed of RL Hull is suggests it wasn't as impressive this year. There again it could just be the local rag demonstrating its usual poor level of reporting...

6. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

The friendly derby hasn't been well attended since Richard Horne's testimonial year to be fair. Whatever the local media say it's quite obvious the fans don't feel the same as they vote with their feet. There's too many derbys as it is, they really don't buy into the pointless friendly money spinner at the start of the season, everyone wants it dropping but it makes more money than any other friendly (despite the low attendances) so it's unfortunately here to stay.

7. Barchullona

They may as well play each other as it has a bit of edge which is better preparation than meaningless run outs.

8. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

You'd think so but it's as meaningless as any other run out these days. Especially this year, no Hull FC player is risking injury before the Australia games, they'll tackle harder in training than in they did in that derby yesterday.

9. Wildie

Wildie Well-Known Member

Around 7-8k there at FC yesterday apparently, which for a Reserve team run out (effectively) and a game that has had oppostion due to too many derby's isn't too bad. I think FC have sold 9k season tickets - approaching 10k, and Rovers sold 6-7k season tickets, means that they will have at least 15-16k across their home attendances during the season. We only got 11k on Saturday

10. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

They’re both in the top division, and Hull FC are one of the best teams in the country. We’re in the second division and thousands boycott every game due to the most hated regime in our history.

Happy to help with this.

Evington likes this.

11. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

What about it being a tiny minority sport that no one beyond the M62 is interested in?

Surely a 2nd tier team in the biggest sport in the world should be beating these nobodies?

They don't have this problem in Leeds, I'm pretty sure their football team has had an awful decade compared to ours.

12. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

This thread is going to be a carbon copy of numerous others :emoticon-0113-sleep

Edelman likes this.
  13. bum_chinned_crab

But that’s the point, we’re continually told it’s the biggest sport in Hull. In a game played by the 2 professional teams from Hull the fact that it’s ‘a minority sport that no one beyond the M62 is interested in’ is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Leeds has a population 3x that of Hull and in a study a decade or so back were found to have the highest percentage of non-local fans of any club in England.

14. bum_chinned_crab

If you don’t like where it’s going then don’t read it and reply :emoticon-0148-yes:

15. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

That's my point, it's so irrelevant yet currently more popular than a team playing in one europes biggest leagues in the worlds most popular sport, something doesn't add up there.

What has the population size of Leeds got to do with it? They've had an awful team for decades whilst their rugby team is the most successful of the modern era yet the football crowds have always remained bigger.

16. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

I will when I get bored of it, right now it's quite amusing.

17. Barchullona

Leeds is the largest city with only 1 club. They would have to get 3 times our attendance to have a similar proportion of the population supporting them.

One thing the 2 cities have in common. The largest crowd for a rugby league game involving the local clubs in both cities was set at the football ground. Though the Leeds one of 54,000 for the Leeds v Hunslet derby was larger than the 28,000 at Boothferry Park.

18. bum_chinned_crab

I already said but I’ll repeat it if you want? When a team from Hull plays a team from Hull in Hull then the popularity of the sport elsewhere is completely irrelevant.

Erm, there’s more people in the city to watch both teams. And as I said, they’ve got a huge amount of fans from outside of Leeds. Walk around the city and you’ll see FAR more Rhinos references than TWS.

19. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Having lived in Leeds for a over a decade I can honestly say that's not my experience. with maybe the expectation of the treble year when I lived in Meanwood/Headingley.

20. Barchullona

Funny. When City were geting more than both rugby teams combined some rugby fans said this was still a rugby city because they have had more success. Never seen anyone from Leeds claiming it was a rugby city, or Leicester, home of the best supported team in either code of rugby, on that basis.

As for population size it is obviouscwhatbtgat has to do with it. Leeds for its size has never been that well supported. Only 13 clubs have everbaveraged over 40,000 and the club in the country's third largest city isn't one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.