1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wembley Chat.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 16, 2016.

1. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Yikes Plym...still not received mine yet and leaving for UK on Sunday. :emoticon-0107-sweat

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No worries.......if you've bought a ticket you will have a booking number to show at Wembley's east side booking office to be given a replacement ticket.....allow plenty of time to do that.

3. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Cheers Plym. ....:emoticon-0148-yes:

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I just read a story on pasoti about a getting tickets experience which is a poor experience by anyone's standards. Some people, including myself, found getting a ticket sorted a bloody nightmare. These weren't casual attendees at the Theatre of Greens these were long standing season ticket holder or "members" as they like to call us. The problem which seems to have been the norm in these cases was getting their membership thing activated. The mate who sorted mine out in the end told me the trouble he had when he first tried and what it took him to get it sorted. £22 cost for one phone call. All because Argyle didn't see fit to just sort it out across the board and activate all the accounts for us. I'm not that techno literate as I've said previously but you cannot tell me that somebody with knowhow somewhere could not have simply pressed a button or two and relieved us all of the trauma. Not just the trauma but the cost as well. I don't know how much my phone call cost me yet.

Ticketmaster, once you had overcome the Argyle end problem was the next obsticle it seems. He (that is the pasoti bloke) went round in circles trying to get sorted and he eventually phoned them. He spent ages on the phone at 7p a minute and they had problems with their credit card facility apparently. He finally booked his tickets but couldn't complete the transaction because of this problem. They said they would call him when their end was resolved. They didn't so he had to ring them again. More 7p a minute. Finally they couldn't complete because the seats were marked as sold even though they hadn't been. Eventually, as a season ticket holder of long standing he ended up with a group of tickets in the 500 section of the ground when he wanted to be in the 100 section.

I assume everyone who wants to go now is sorted and for a lot of people that will be the end of the matter. Especially if it's a successful visit to the Tower. But, Argyle should take note of all of this and to be honest they owe loyal supporters at the very least an appology. Bet they won't give one though. No doubt it will have been somebody else's fault and nothing to do with them at all. Ticketmaster will have made a fortune out of these play off games. If you include profit from the postage money they con out of everyone, my guess is around £150k from our match alone. Will they care what the experience was like? I doubt that very much either. Bugger me but I then read another thread about trains on Monday. Apparently they are going to be forming queues both in Plymouth Station going and Padddington coming back. Going will be booked seats and not booked seats. The booked seats get to get on first as it should be I think. However coming back nothing like it. The queue will be either Plymouth only or elsewhere only and your booking will mean little or nothing. I paid a fortune to travel on the train and took all the time and effort to book everything properly and now I could be stood for 4 hours on a different train. You couldn't make it all up could you. 20 years for a visit to the hallowed place and to be honest another 20 years might be too soon.

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Wow it might be easier to fly in from Canada.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you might be right BC. Probably cheaper as well. The trouble is everyone wants to go so because of that we do put up with an awful lot. But, if this was a resturant giving this kind of service it would be out of business in no time or any other shop for that matter. People would not put up with it but somehow football is different and they know it and don't give a flying monkey about the customers. Ticketmaster is the same. If the clubs sell their allocation through them then you are stuck with any old service they want to give. You have no other option but to use them.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It all reminds me of Mrs Plym's and my trip down last September when we spent the weekend in Plymouth and went to the Bristol Rovers game.....having decided weeks before that we would take in the game I tried to get hold of tickets.....the result was having registered I was told that I didn't have the right privileges at that time to buy tickets.....fair enough......that makes you think that they are expecting a full house and regulars come first.....now we aren't talking season ticket holders because they automatically have a seat.....we must be talking of those with partial season ticket membership (is it white membership ?) who have bought a six game membership package and to give them some leeway in deciding if they will come to that game peasants like me have to wait longer.....that's ok.....but weeks later I still didn't have the right privileges.....and I wasn't going to book accomodation or buy rail tickets until I had game tickets.....which meant hotels became more expensive as you got nearer September and scarce......I found out later when we where down in Plymouth that that weekend families were poring into the City because of the University degree ceremonies on the Hoe starting on the Monday.....both Premier Inns had no vacancies weeks before because I had already checked them out.

Ok eventually I got to the top of the queue when tickets where put on general sale....and we got two good seats a few yards along from Lindy's regular season ticket seats. But the train fare became dearer and we paid a £100 more for our accomodation than if we had bought it earlier. Also on the day there was a crowd of 10,000 plus....which meant there was still plenty of leeway for selling ticket by POTD.....which also means that adding all forms of season tickets together there was plenty of room for Mrs Plym and myself still.....definately would turn the casual fan away from going through that system again if they had not persevered.

Wembley was a different experience all together.....season ticket holders had first bite at the cherry....that's how it should be.....but now I was on PAFC's system and having registered in September I had a reference number for buying tickets.....general sales opened up on the Wednesday morning at 9am (we where told).....I checked at 0745 and they had already started selling tickets....I was added to the queue without having to do anything more and by 0800 I had chosen four seats and paid and received a confirmation e-mail to that effect....easy peasy....tickets arrived Monday morning....couldn't of been easier.....so I sympathise with sensible over his problems....I assume sensible that in the past you have bought your season ticket in person at the ground and hadn't been added to their online system...but even so te system needs soughting out.....remember Ticketmaster being a third party have taken over the responsibility of selling ticket for League clubs and make a profit by charging a booking fee and at least twice the postage price for doing it .....they made £12 out of selling me four tickets......good work if you can get it.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Think i better open up a ticket shop.. .. Well sensible you should have waited until the Wednesday as it seemed easier for some who wee just casual supporters. I agree with Plym that those who go on a regular basis should get there tickets first.. Any ticket company are all the same.. just in it for the money no customer service.. Well the trains are a joke.. Im on the 5.45 tomorrow up to london and back sunday lunchtime so will miss all the rush.. it will be chaos at the stations.. then they will search everyone for no booze... i suspect.. well i still wish i could have gone but will have to sit and watch it on sky.. It will be all worth it come monday evening.. You will get a seat sensible.. some younger person will give one up for the elderly.. :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm enjoy the day out :emoticon-0157-sun::emoticon-0157-sun:

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

As you said Plym. Ticketmaster confirmed to pick ticket up at the east side office for all international persons but when I called them last week to actually confirm booking as my seat no. was still available in block 507 the day after booking and the guy told me it would be mailed. ...mmm, so make sure you take booking receipts just incase!

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes hp just make sure you have all the relevent info with you when you come to Wembley.....but you still might get your ticket through the post.....who the hell knows.....best of luck anyway whatever way you get to park in your seat on Monday.

11. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

No problems for me.

I'm a White member Plym and last year went to several on top of that plus the play off . It's not so much getting tickets it's getting tickets for where you want to sit. The best blocks are already pretty full with full season tickets and the next best fill quickly although the ground may not be full overall. Makes it hard for you I know and others living away but I do expect something for my half loyalty!

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

More like quarter loyalty notDistant.

13. notDistantGreen

Bit harsh Plymborn: I've been a fan since I was in short trousers and went to half the home league games last season. Considering I can't go on Tuesdays and have 2 females in the household, that's not so bad!

Point is though that I have been a member for the past 3 years so and bought a membership for 2016/17 before the play-off tickets went on sale so surely it's right there's some sort of preference?

14. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Clearly a lot of people have had a a lot of difficulties with the ticket process but to be fair my experience has been first rate. Exactly the choice of tickets I wanted and delivered within four days. I suspect it might be because I have ordered a lot of tickets through the website over the last few years so any problems with passwords/inactive accounts etc were never going to crop up-I would have been mightily peed off if they had. Am not going to descend into 'who is a better fan than whom' because in my eyes everyone who wants to go to and spend a lot of money going to Wembley to support their team are equally important. At the risk of slipping into Orwellian speak I do think 'some are more equal than others' in so far as first dibs on choice of seat is concerned so it is absolutely correct to give 'members' first choice. The bottom line is that there are no bad seats in Wembley and everyone who wants to go will be going.-enjoy the experience.

I must however agree that the train situation appears to be a nightmare-these are not football specials so I would have thought if you have booked four specific seats (presumably at extra cost) then you are entitled to those seats whatever queue you might be marshalled into. it will be interesting to read everyone's experiences/thoughts after the event.......hopefully we will have won and a bit of discomfort will have been forgotten about.

15. lyndhurstgreen

Just started my sporting weekend with a trip to the National Football Museum with both sons in Manchester. Well worth a visit if you get chance, free entry and loads of interesting stuff-even an old Argyle program on display. There is inevitably a shop to pass through on the way out where the staff are keen to extract money from you, funnily enough when they approached me and I asked if they had any Argyle stuff for sale they lost interest. They did have a very nice signed George Best shirt for sale, a snip at £1750 (no I didn't)!

Off to Old Trafford tonight to watch a 20/20 blast match (I know its not proper cricket). As a huge Yorkshire fan, not sure who to support between Lancashire and Durham, probably wont matter as I will end spending all evening explaining the rules to my wife and future daughter-in-law who are both going to a professional cricket match for the first time. Quite surprised that the tickets were only £17 for what is 3.5 hours entertainment compared to 20odd for 2 hours of 4th division football-will even be able to enjoy the game with a pint of decent beer and a tray of pie, chips and gravy-happy days!

16. notDistantGreen

Just show them this Lyndhurst, they'll be asleep before it's finished, especially if you get a couple of Pimms into them first.

The narrator has a voice for proper test cricket although someone with a Burberry baseball cap in a Subaru Impreza would probably have been more appropriate for 20/20.

There's a certain amount of gratuitous crotch rubbing in the clip: don't fall into the ageold trap of joining in with this what ever you do.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I agree notDistant you should have preference....couldn't you buy a white membership for before the new year....and then buy another for the rest of the season in the new year....wouldn't that be cheaper than twelve single buys ?

18. notDistantGreen

I may do that this year: there's not a lot of change from a full membership then I don't think. The two girls are pretty keen now so we'll see how it goes!

19. notDistantGreen

Enjoy the cricket BTW.

20. lyndhurstgreen

Just back from the cricket, Lancashire were stuffed by a far better team. Great stadium - oh how I wish football could be like this -good friendly banter between fans of all persuasions , wide range of food and drink (albeit somewhat expensive so Wembley wont be too much of a shock) loads of entertainment before, during and after the match and excellent transport links with a metro link station actually at the ground. Have to say, really impressed with Manchester today, pity I dislike their sports teams so much otherwise I might consider a move back oop north. Even the girls enjoyed it (after a couple of gins!).