1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Brom v Southampton, Monday 12/04/21, 6pm, Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Apr 6, 2021.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<doh>

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

__________________________________________________________________________________

3. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about that, some want Big Sam.

Howes approach is pretty much the same as Ralph I.e. focus is on pressing on at all costs, to the detriment of defence and funnily enough Bournemouth got relegated when they stopped scoring goals, but their defence remained leaky..... I’m not sure how they think he would change us.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

From what I can see it's similar people who are saying Ralph can't sort the defence, which is laughable considering Howe's record in that department.

5. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was shocked by the result last night. I think that we just need to get the season over and then look to rebuild in the summer. The current campaign started very shortly after the last one ended and I think we are mentally exhausted. The squad needs some freshening up and I would like t think that the defence can be given the attention it has needed for the last few seasons. Apart from 20 mins in the second half, the performance last night was not acceptable I am not sure is knocking Ralph is the answer although i think these kinds of performances have been too frequent since Christmas. However, I think that it is more down to mental fatigue than Ralph. The remaining games will all prove difficult. Just need five points to see us safe.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yesterday was all down to the players having one eye on the semi-final IMO. It's the first time in ages that we've been poor from start to finish.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  7. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

That was maybe a more deflating performance than Newcastle away. Surely Djenepo or Adams has to start ahead of Walcott - they both did more to effect the game in 5 mins than Theo did all evening. Fair play to WBA and Sam - they were better all over the pitch.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Aside from anything else, can we take a moment to laugh at VAR again regarding that disallowed goal? I mean, for **** sake, how's that not been given as a goal <laugh>

Shambles.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Boy that was a poor defensive display

We were ok with the ball and Stu, Redders, Moussa were good, but without it, shocking

Well done Vesty for still looking decent in that shambles

Let’s hope we get a reaction Sunday

Lots of work for the Ralph in the summer

AberdeenSaint likes this.
  10. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

Saints get a goal disallowed and their heads go down, Albion just became more determined, that cost us the game in the end. They wanted it more and every player was supported by their colleagues in all departments. I just think Ralph got his tactical decisions wrong throughout, but he can't take all of the blame when his selected players let him down so badly.

Libby likes this.

11. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I honestly cannot remember a more inconsistent side than this 20/21 Saints. My expectations were low during our injury hit Feb / Mar period but that aside I went into every game believing we were quite capable of winning - which makes results like last nights very hard to take.

No way should we be looking for a new manager but Ralph has to take some blame for last night. He said in the presser he had been working on defensive duties all week. He had an idea to stop people getting 'behind us' and it failed miserably. He needs to use the next few days to get back to what we did well at the beginning of the season.

That said, the players did not show up last night. Perhaps they were confused by what they were asked to do. Ralph once said we play 'our game' irrespective of the opposition. We need to do that again

Our first 1/3 of the season was superb and a great cup run should have us looking back on a decent season but jeez, lets see a bit more consistency next season please.

Rule No.5 likes this.
  12. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I've said it before but this group of players are terrible when things aren't going their way. Whether that is due to them as a collective or poor management on that front (or probably a mixture of both) I don't know. There isn't a single player I can think of that I would be really gutted if they left. Some I would be annoyed if we sold on the cheap but no Mane/Lallana type situation.

If I were Ralph/Semmens I would basically be saying that every player is available at the right price as long as they get to reinvest the money and see what can be built over the next couple of windows in terms of a team more in his image than the one he has inherited which has been **** in the main for 3+ seasons

13. Shandy_top_89

Prowse, Romeu, Armstrong and KWP (more out of the fact there is no alternative and still has room to develop).

I would say Ings, but I have pretty much accepted he is likely to go this Summer on the cheap.

14. Saintmagic

Whilst I agree that they are decent players I wouldn’t be fussed to see any of those mentioned leave for the right price.

I think we are heading for a crossroads (if not already there) with the manager. If we don’t back him and give him the players/depth he requires then we will just be on Groundhog Day until he leaves. And seeing as the only way we can fund purchases is by selling players we need to make a decision of either back the manager or back the current squad.

fatletiss likes this.
  15. Shandy_top_89

I suppose my main concern is that I don’t consider the club capable of adequately replacing them and spending the money well.

16. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

I’d like to see Bednarek dropped for Salisu, Che for Theo and Redmond out on the left with Armstrong back to the right.

I agree with the people above who have identified how poor our midfield 2 were yesterday at sitting infront of the back 4, the space they generated with just one quick turn or one ball forward was absolutely obscene

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with Ralph's playbook it's just that the lack of depth in certain areas has cost us dearly since the new year.
    I'm annoyed that the fullback positions haven't been strengthened as it has been clear all season that Ralph never fancied Valery and Vokins.
    I think that without the injuries we would certainly be higher but maybe they have come as a result of Ralph's high energy style.
    Things will be more in favour next season I believe with normal pre-season and fixtures and hopefully good cover for all positions.
    I back Ralph to come good and turn us into a top 10 team and this season still might be a very special one for the club come the end of May.

AberdeenSaint likes this.
  18. Saintmagic

I know we haven’t bought loads of players since Ralph has been here but I think the players we have brought in have been good in the main.

Personally I would roll the dice and try and raise as much money as possible this summer and do as big a rebuild as possible in one window, but I like to gamble and play football manager so we’ll probably sign Walcott, sell Ings and give Forster and Redmond lifetime contracts.

19. Saintmagic

Pretty much every team has had loads of injuries this season due to the schedule. Our depth isn’t the best but I’m sure other teams have crap/no back up due to this as well. Everton played Holgate at centre mid last night for example

Yet we are the team with the most goals conceded, most losses and worst form in 2021. Is that because the depth is really that bad or because we aren’t adapting our style to accept that we have lots of players missing so need to play a different way?

20. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Libby, I bet you were laughing when West Ham employed Moyes again, or when Leicester employed Rogers.

I have no idea how anyone can scoff at Eddie Howe. Got Bompey up from League Two to the Prem, and then managed to keep them there for 3 or 4 seasons playing entertaining and effective football.

If Ralph does leave or get sacked, I for one would take Howe in an instant. We should stop taking the piss out of other clubs' managers when our own has struggled to get anything resembling football out of our squad for the past 3/4 months. (I still support him btw)