1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion - Home

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Mar 15, 2023.

1. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Ah well. Another point which keeps the trap door four points away.
    Well done chaps.

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  2. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

BIG game on Saturday now....

clingo likes this.
  3. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Gritty performance. Tonight was the type of game we were losing by the odd goal under previous managers.

clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  4. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Definitely one of those games that could have gone either way in the end.

Think every point is crucial now, especially as a few teams above us are really on poor runs....

Huge game Saturday... If (and it's a big if) we can win that one then it really opens things up nicely.
    Don't really want to think about losing it though <yikes>

clingo likes this.
  5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They were a far better side than us - a bit like the Norwich game and wearing the same yellow/green colours as them as well. We matched them for grit and effort but nowhere near the quality. At least we pulled a goal back for a point which is more than we could do at Norwich.

I still think he should have gone with a 3rd CB - if Kipre was playing in that role Dike would have jogged in unoposed for his goal. I noted we didn't have another out and out defender even on the bench so presume none were available which may be a reason.

Etete and Davies up front didn't work - Etete is far too lightweight for his size and Davies is too lightweight full stop. Kaba made a huge difference and I just hope Wickham is OK for the next one because "lightweight" wont work at Rotherham.

Midifield is still slow but pretty efficient - Wintle makes it tickover and Sawyers is, well, Sawyers. I don't know what to make of Ojo, I really don't. Philo is undoubtedly a matchwinner but he needs team mates on the same wavelength to play off - Robbo would be perfect.

All in all a good point taken from a very difficult game on paper against a well organised top half Championship side.

6. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Looked like we wanted something from the game more than them. Understandable I suppose. A number of our guys were out on their feet at the end.

Unless Simpson is injured his absence from the bench speaks volumes. Apart from their goal - which wouldn't have happened with our usual back three - I thought we defended well.

I said to BT that we lacked some authority through the side, someone to shout and keep everyone together. The sort of thing Kipre and Robbo provide.

As usual there was a lack of connectivity with passes going astray at key times and players trying little tricks which no one knew was coming.

Apart from their goal I can't fault the back 4 with Ng and McGuinness doing their best to create some organisation.

I don't know what to make of Ojo. Some weeks he looks good then last night it was like he had his boots on the wrong feet.

Philogene has a football brain which operates quicker than any one else in our team. His first touch is usually spot on and he has balance and an ability to ride tackles rarely seen at our level. Second half he was moving into forward positions with no marker and calling for a through ball which never happened - 4 or 5 times. Our usual problem, slow and a lack of vision in the middle of the park.

Spot on about Robbo unlocking doors for him Sparks.

Kaba is a footballer of a type we haven't seen for a while. He is not afraid to score goals and put his head or foot in where it can do some damage. Yes, he's ungainly and will never beat 4 players and then send the keeper the wrong way but he rattles defenders and gets goals. He will also benefit when Robbo returns.

As for Etete and Davies they tried hard but we have no one to put the ball in places where Davies can use his pace to get behind defences. Etete? Bambi on ice springs to mind. He reminds me of a lesser Rudi Gestede. Perhaps a summer diet of rare steak, pasta, Guinness and weights work in the gym will make a difference?

Nevertheless, a point is a point and they're all valuable now. A win on Saturday will boost us up a place or 2 especially if Reading's points deduction happens. The returns of Kipre and Wickham will make us a lot stronger.

clingo, irishbluebird and Oldsparkey like this.