1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours We've Signed A Striker !

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Mar 23, 2018.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

2. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I hate to be negative but - why?

Welcome to the club, Mason. I wish you all the best.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Didn't you read 2 goals in 18 matches? That's first team form for us!

DUNCAN DONUTS and Canary Spring like this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. <laugh>

5. Canary Spring

Exactly :emoticon-0101-sadsm Then take away half of those because he'll be playing for Norwich and I'm dumbfounded :emoticon-0108-speec

6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I believe a certain G. Holt had a less than impressive goals to games ratio before joining us. Watch and learn! ;)

Canary Spring likes this.
  7. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Another good signing to fill the reserves!

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Realistically, this is planning ahead for either Fonkeu or Abrahams to move up to the first team, or out on loan.

The new kid takes their spot in the development side, and that's his platform from which to impress. Whilst it'd be nice if our development team was full of our own youth products, it's good that we're looking to fill that pipeline to the first team when we haven't produced the right player.

9. Canary Spring

I'll be watching, Dave. I would like to know what Webber-Farke have seen in him. Dag and Red have three forwards playing and scoring more than Mason. TBF, I've been relatively happy with W-F's recruiting so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

canary-dave likes this.
  10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I agree, but it's also about getting young players in who suit our new way of playing. At 21, Bloomfield is no kid, however. He's come up the hard way and moved from non-league where he had 9 goals in 20 appearances to Dagenham & Redbridge where he had 2 goals in 18 appearances. Presumably the scouts have seen potential to develop further at both U23 and senior squad level with the right coaching. Time will tell, but it's a low risk strategy which could reap future success.

JM Fan likes this.

11. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

This is the part that I think our club are focusing on these days. Clearly we can't afford to take a 8+m punt on another striker right now. Be interesting to see if the policy changes when Maddison is cashed in.

12. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I think that we have had form in the past with bringing through youngsters, my dad would talk about it from the 70s and 80s. This is the formula we have to employ. Find good youngsters and sell for a profit. If we don't do that we cannot compete. Our scouting system in England appears to be good and set up for doing this and has been for a while, though we now seem to have a German division now as well. As and when we get ourselves into the prem, we need to continue doing this. In the past we have come unstuck with spending vast sums on players who were not up for it. Only once we get ourselves established should be spend big and then it should be well thought out and planned rather than a panic.

21 does seem a little old, but maybe there is something about him that can be developed. I hope we give Carlton Morris a go next year, I really want him to make the grade :)

RiverEndRick likes this.
  13. RiverEndRick

I'm old enough to remember those years ZK, when Justin and John Fashanu made such an impact as promoted youth players and then moved on. Dale Gordon, Darren Eadie, Ruel Fox and Craig Bellamy played for City and then passed on with sizable transfer fees. Those days seem to have returned.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  14. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I expect there will be a balance. If we get £20m for Maddison we aren't going to sign a dozen unproven youngsters who who won't be ready for 3 seasons, and equally we won't bring in a £20m replacement. I expect we might spend £5m on an immediate replacement, use £3m to strengthen the first team elsewhere, then a couple of million on youth. The rest will sadly go on the deficit!

15. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I see that there is a "rumour" that Mourhino is interested in Adam Idah as the next Ibrahimovich. What sort of contract is he on?

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I can't imagine he's on much of a contract, as he's only just turned 17!!! I haven't been t any under 18 games, so can't comment.

17. RiverEndRick

I agree about the 'balanced approach', DH, but I doubt we'd spend £5m on a replacement for Maddison. IMO, a goal-scoring striker is our greatest need.
    Also, if Maddison leaves, DF may prefer to go to a 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 formation with a deeper playmaker like Leitner, Vrancic or Steipermann pushing forward from CM. Without Maddison's goals, we'd desperately need a goal-scoring striker more than anything.

18. RiverEndRick

Given the source of that rumour, Italian-based football transfer web site calciomercato.com, I wouldn't give much credence to it yet.

JM Fan likes this.
  19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

As you say, Leitner can play there, but not totally convinced that he'll be here next season.
    Cantwell can also play there and seems to be benefitting from his loan.

20. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the scot - Mclean that we bought, who by all accounts has been scoring quite regularly up there

RiverEndRick likes this.