1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WGC - Accenture Match Play Championships

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Feb 20, 2013.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

The golfing tour is back...!!! Well, if i am honest, it started in the 2nd week of January but i dont bother looking at the fixtures until this tournament comes up.

The WGC Accenture Match Play Championships is a good indicator to how well a player is feeling at the start of the golfing season and which player needs to work on this game. Some players have already played a few of the years earlier tournaments and some come here for their first. It is a hard 5 days golf and the winners tend to be knackered come Sunday night, and with good reason

The course is The Golf Club at Dove Mountain in Marana, Arizona and is a Jack Nicklaus designed course, which opened in 2009. With a total yardage of 7,833 yards. wide fairways and big greens to hit it sounds like an inviting course, but Jack designs golf courses to make the golf think his way around. The greens are best described as rolling, the fairways are easy to hit but you have some monster carries or positional lay ups to play on all of the 18 holes. Club choice is paramount and the big hitters will not get there way here. Likewise the tee shots invariably set you up for the hole and missing some of the bunkers, or traps as the yanks say, is a big issue. The course itself is 2,300 to 3,000 feet above sea level so the ball will fly, but that also bring's with it its perils, something that Nicklaus wanted. He wants the golfer to think, and that at times is what makes this tournament such a special one and a good one to kick off the years golf...

The format is that of 4 brackets, of which all have ex-players names for them, in which the winners of their bracket head off for the semi-finals and then play-off final. So you can plot who can or will face each other, and likewise who will miss who until the sharp end of the competition. So with that in mind...

Bobby Jones - SEEDS: 1. Rory McIlroy. 2. Bubba Watson. 3. Charl Schwartzel. 4. Dustin Johnson. 5. Graeme McDowell. 6. Zach Johnson. 7. Jim Furyk. 8. Rickie Fowler. 9. Carl Pettersson. 10. Ryan Moore. 11. Jason Day. 12. Padraig Harrington. 13. Alexander Noren. 14. Russell Henley. 15. Chris Wood. 16. Shane Lowry.

This is down to if Rory or Charl get through their supposed matches as the top seeds for this group. Most of the other players in this group seem to be just short of what we know is their best form. Fowler is drawn to meet Rory in the 2nd round, so that might be coin toss to pick the winner there. If you have to go with the form book then Charl Schwartzel is flying at the moment, plus he has a decent record here at this event, and he would be my pick...

Ben Hogan - SEEDS: 1. Louis Oosthuizen. 2. Justin Rose. 3. Sergio Garcia. 4. Keegan Bradley. 5. Ernie Els. 6. Matt Kuchar. 7. Bill Haas. 8. Brandon Grave. 9. Robert Garrigus. 10. Nicolas Colsaerts. 11. Hiroyuki Fujita. 12. Fredrik Jacobson. 13. Marcus Fraser. 14. Thongchai Jaidee. 15. K.J. Choi. 16. Richie Ramsay.

This group has some good match players in it and will probably be the closest in terms of results, but it could certainly see the eventual winner could come out of it. Rose, Garcia, Oost and Bradley are tough match play golfers and this is one group which will be hard to pick from. But Keegan Bradley showed in the last Ryder Cup what a formidable competitor he is and i do think he would have took a lot out of the defeat to Europe and will be even stronger this year...

Gary Player - SEEDS: 1. Tiger Woods. 2. Lee Westwood. 3. Jason Dufner. 4. Webb Simpson. 5. Peter Hanson. 6. Hunter Mahan. 7. Martin Kaymer. 8. Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano. 9. Francesco Molinari. 10. George Coetzee. 11. Matteo Manassero. 12. Thomas Bjorn. 13. David Lynn. 14. Richard Sterne. 15. Raphael Cabrera-Bello. 16. Charles Howell III.

This is an interseting group not only because we have Tiger in it but that we also have a few players who have beaten Tiger before and wont be scared of him. Potential match ups include Tiger v Simpson, Westwood v Kaymer plus we have Dufner and last years winner Hunter Mahan in this side of the draw. It would be folly to count Tiger out of winning this group, he won on his only start for the year so far last month, but i do think that Westwood is going to be a big hit and hopefully he can go one better than winning the 3rd/4th consolation match... Plus i do think Webb Simpson may take the crown of Tiger when they are due to meet up...

Sam Snead - SEEDS: 1. Luke Donald. 2. Adam Scott. 3. Ian Poulter. 4. Steve Stricker. 5. Nick Watney. 6. Bo Van Pelt. 7. Jamie Donaldson. 8. Paul Lawrie. 9. Scott Piercy. 10. Thorbjorn Olsesen. 11. John Senden. 12. David Toms. 13. Henrik Stenson. 14. Stephen Gallacher. 15. Tim Clark. 16. Marcel Siem.

This group has 5 past winners in it but you would struggle to pick the out right winner from outside the first three seeds in the group. Donald, winner in 2011, and Poulter, winner in 2010 are obviously the form picks, both would meet in the final group match if they follow the path before tham. I dont see a big shock victory from one of the lesser players but Bo Van Pelt and Tim Clark could give there respective players a match if it falls right for them...

The first matches will start today and will end on Sunday...

2. redcgull

So to who i think will win...

To win the Bobby Jones group - Charl Schwartzel @ 11/2...
    To win the Ben Hogan group - Keegan Bradley @ 9/1...
    To win the Gary Player group - Lee Westwood @ 7/1...
    To win the Sam Snead group - Luke Donald @ 4/1...

Overall winner - Keegan Bradley @ 35/1... Padpow pays 1/4 for 1,2,3,4...

£5 win on the group winners, plus £5 e/w way Bradley to be overall winner... Plus a £1 accy on all 4 group winners...

Good luck and lets hope for another good year on the golf...<cheers>

3. redcgull

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice one Red

5. redcgull

There is a Fantasy comp on the Official PGA website and so ive had a go... Its free to enter and ive plotted my results through to the final of Bradley v Donald...

Have a look and you will see what and how this format works... Good luck...<ok>

http://fantasy.pgatour.com/Bracket/Picks

There are a total of 63 matches and so i will let you know how many of em i got right...

6. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Ha red you are the same as me i do keep an eye on the early events but i never really feel 'everyone is back' until this event rolls around and it feels like the season is starting to take serious shape. Really like this event too.

As always Wood's look potentially a decent price at 11/1 genrally and has shown good form early on this season , i'd want to wait until i see him ripping that driver better though as any wayward shots from the tee usually get penalised with a bogey.

Anyway i'll cut to the chase. I have backed Jason Dufner at 40's and had a very specualtive bet on Thorebjorn Oleson 66/1, huge fan of this guy and i think backing him at most European Tour events may prove very benneficial throughout the year, big ask for him to do well here but i like his chances if he takes well to conditions and the course.

GL with the picks red

7. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

I know its already started but i throw in my 4 bracket winners

Keegan Bradley
    Ian Poulter
    Bubba Watson
    Martin Kaymer

Plus outrights on Keegan and Bubba

Jeez have u seen the weather there?

Snow blizzards in the desert..rediculous

8. redcgull

Oh, the weather outside is lovely..
    But the weather in Zona is frightening...

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Bloody snow in Arizona...!!! Saying that it is at 2,500 feet above sea level in the Dove mountains... And it dos snow up on high ground... Oh well, it just means some will be playing catch up and playing twice in a day then...!!!

9. redcgull

That bloody stupid belly putting ****house...!!! Bradley loses in his first round match...<grr><doh>

Plus its not good for my South African pick Schwartzel... He didnt have the legs for it...!!!

And Westwood who has gone west for the money and to improve his game must still be on holiday mode... Out as well...

Which leaves me with Donald Duck... Lets hope he can get some resemblance of order back for my picks this week... Jeez it could be a long summer if im keep this strike rate up...<yikes><laugh>

10. redcgull

So not a great return from the boys in the WGC Match play, but to be honest there where more shocks and disappointments from the players than the punters...

Tiger, Westwood, Dufner, Schwartzel and McIlroy all lost to a lower seeded player in the 1st round, with the last 4 players being the 11th, 6th, 11th and 3rd seed from their own bracket...

Jason Day lost to the eventual winner Matt Kuchar in the 1st semi playoff, with Ian Poulter failing to beat last years winner Hunter Mahan... Day getting a win by 1 hole in the 3rd/4th playoff - which seems silly to me but hey its their comp...!!!

So we look forward to the rest of the year hoping that we can hit the winning trail soon... Its the Honda Classic up next on thursday, so its back off to the drawing board to select my 2 yearly picks - its ironic as last year i went with Mahan and Kuchar and had i stuck with them for the start of this year i would be very much up for the start of this year... Oh well, life never plans out how we would want it at times...<cheers>

11. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Ill wait till you put a thread up for the Honda classic

I have a player at a massive price! watch this space lol..