1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WGC - Bridgestone Invitational, Firestone CC, Akron, Ohio

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Jul 31, 2013.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

This week’s golf comes to us from The Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio, for the 14th edition in the WGC golf series. This is the place where Tiger Woods has won 7 of them in his time here, a very impressive record indeed. But he hasn’t won one of the past 3 events and so you would imagine he would want to change that record. In saying that when you look at what money he has took away from here over the years it is absolutely gob-smacking. In all his visits here he has amassed a total of $9.36m in prize money, or about $720,000 per visit for his troubles…

Why is he so good here, and what factors do we need to look at in finding the winner here this week…?

Well, firstly, Tiger has always smashed the par 5’s here, he averages -7.9 for all his 7 victories and holds the tournament low record of -21 back in 2000 when he shot 64,61,67,67 for an aggregate score of 259. Highly impressive stuff from the champion...!!!

But he hasn’t featured much in the way of winning here for the past 3 years where Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott and Hunter Mahan have all walked away with the title. All had one thing in common though, they all hit it a very, very long way in the week they won…

Keegan Bradley was ranked 29th for Total Driving, 3rd in Average Driving Distance with 320 yards and hit the Longest drive at 442 yards...
    Adam Scott was ranked 21st for Total Driving and 7th in Average Driving Distance with 319 yards with a longest drive of 375 yards…
    Hunter Mahan was only 52nd for Total Driving and only averaged 305 in the Average Distance, but he had the longest drive for the week with a hit of 375 yards…

This is a course that dos favour the smashers and bashers but obviously you will need to score heavy as well. Last years the GIR Stats showed at 60%, 15th easiest on the Tour last year coupled with the last 5 years average winning score being -12.8, it just goes to show that you will need to turn these monster drives into birdies sometime in your round.

So who can we look at to make us a bit in return for their efforts…?

Keegan Bradley has done everything this year BUT win. A 2nd, 3rd and 6 top 10’s shows his consistency, something I would hope serve me well this year being one of my season long picks. He can smash a ball off the tee, ranks 8th in Average Distance, plus he can score low as well, sits 16th in Scoring Average. A good ball striker, he won here last year when pipping Steve Stricker on the 18th hole to claim his first WGC title. He scored a very impressive 31 back 9 holes to catch Stricker and although it looked like he would force a play-off Stricker bogeyed the last to give the title to him. For a bloke who won here last year I think his odds are crazy, so I am having him again for this year’s attempt as well…

Billy Horschel has had a year to remember and it could continue to get better here this week. He is already a winner on the Tour this year, when he pocketed the winner’s cheque for his win in the Zurich Classic. He has also posted a 2nd, 3rd and 7 top 10’s to go with it. Strikes a ball very well, ranks 9th for Ball Striking plus he is another who is good off the tee with the driver. He has hit more Birdies than anyone else on the Tour this year, 317, and he ranks 9th in Total Putting. Must have a say if his A-Game turns up…

I know I shouldn’t do it but I am picking my ole mucker BVP…!!! Yeah, yeah I said earlier in the year to shoot me if I did but his odds have drawn me to him – Note to self he is 100/1 for a bloomin reason, he’s had a shocker this year…!!! I will leave it at that as this bet can go only one way…

Harris English is one who I have kept an eye on for one for the future as he looks to have a very good all-round game, and has had some good scores this year. Won the FedEx St. Judes not so long back, he has also had 4 Top 10 finishes. He sits 36th in Driving Distance, 12th in Total Birdies, 3rd in Birdies Made and 14th in the Total Rankings. If it all clicks he has a chance…

Keegan Bradley @ 40/1...
    Billy Horschel @ 50/1...
    BVP @ 100/1...
    Harris English @ 125/1...

All done in the usual £2.5 e/w... PadPow pays 1/4 odds top 5...<cheers>

2. stick

stick Bumper King

Easy money in the golf this weekend fellas. Woods 9-2 to win at Firestone and Park 9-2 to win at St Andrews. Easy peasy!

3. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Completely Agree with Inbee!
    Gunning to be the first golfer, male or female, to hold 4 majors in 1 calendar year! I dont usually do straight wins in golf (although worked with Spieth @ 33/1 a few weeks ago) but had had a large bet on Inbee Park

As for Tiger...Not for me this week, my bets are as follows;

Billy Horshel @ 80/1 - Such a great year, long hitter and a fantastic putter, got to be there or thereabouts (ps Red- i got 80s on him at laddies, its not like them to offer good prices haha!)

Martin Kaymer @ 66-1 - I have a good feeling about him for this week. Said in an interview on golfing world that his game is coming to the helm, so hopefully all comes together this week

Nicolas Colsaerts @ 80-1 - For reasons Red has already alluded to; this guy is a bomber off the tee, and also has great GIR stats which will bode well this week.

Paul Casey @ 80-1 - Owes me nothing after the Irish Open - Hoping for another good run out of him. I liken him to a racehorse who was once rated very highly (3rd in the world ranking not that long ago was Casey), fell down the rankings quite a lot but having finally found the winning thread could easily post 1 or 2 more victories.

Goodluck all

4. redcgull

Now then sticky ole boy if it was just that easy...!!!<laugh><laugh>

Tiger will need to bring his Driving A-Game this week as its a monster par 70 this one, but if he dos get it right he will have a chance. Its given to be a bit wet this weekend in Ohio and this will just take a bit off his yardage but we know how good he can be with is irons... Im obviously going against his history at the course plus he is the top winner for the year so far with 4 event titles to his name... We shall see...

I wish you luck but he isnt the one that i would be going with... Now Park, well that's a different call...:emoticon-0148-yes:

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Inbee Park four under through 7 #courserecordcoming

6. stick

stick Bumper King

Park -3, Woods -4 very happy with that

7. redcgull

Yeah, good start that stick...<ok>

8. redcgull

Leaderboard after the 1st round...

Leader - Webb Simpson @ -6

T3 - Keegan Bradley............. -4
    T19 - Harris English.............. E
    T19 - Paul Casey................. E
    T31 - Bo Van Pelt................ 1
    T41 - Nicolas Colsaerts........ 2
    T63 - Billy Horschel............. 4
    T63 - Martin Kaymer........... 4

Well good ole Keegan is trying to cling onto his title with an opening round score of 66, -4, and is only 2 shots off the lead... The others, well, its a long way to go yet...!!!

9. stick

stick Bumper King

Tiger seven under through 11 and five clear, this is all over isn't it. Don't let me down Miss Park!!!!

10. redcgull

What do i know stick...!!! Bloomin Tiger has ripped apart the tournament after 2 rounds... He really dos like it around here dosnt he... Simply awesome... Nailed on to win from here on in...

Not so sure Park can do it now, she is some 8 shots back, but you just never know...

11. redcgull

Leaderboard after the 2nd round...

Leader - Tiger Woods @ -13

T2 - Keegan Bradley........... -6
    T11 - Harris English............ -2
    T19 - Paul Casey............... E
    T25 - Martin Kaymer.......... 1
    T34 - Nicolas Colsaerts...... 2
    T49 - Bo Van Pelt............. 4
    T64 - Billy Horschel........... 8

With Tiger making a mockery up front on his own the defending champion Keegan Bradley is putting up a damn good fight in his attempts to retain the title... But he wont...!!!

Tiger is back to his very best, all be it on a track that very much suits his eye/game but take nothing away from what he has done these last 2 rounds. Simply brilliant golf...

You never know he might pull a back muscle, or get dq'd but in all terms and purposes he has won it from here...

12. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Holy smokes Batman Tiger has only gone and blown the field away with some exhibition golf.

Well done stick. Pay all races winner alright winner alright

13. stick

stick Bumper King

Shame Inbee Park has let me down for the double, she started so well but doesn't seem to be able to handle the Scottish links conditions.

14. redcgull

Leaderboard after the 3rd round...

Oh forget it, Tiger has smashed em to smithereens...!!!

At -15 under and 7 shots clear its not worth putting the others up... Keegan Bradley is the closest of our picks but even he is 10 shots back...!!!

15. redcgull

Tiger won by 7 shots but what was more important was the fact that i got a return for my money...!!! About the first time in 7-8 tournaments...

Now it hasnt changed my life but it good to see a bit of return for a bloomin change no matter how much it is...!!!<laugh><laugh>

16. redcgull

Tigers stats for the weekend were as follows...

Average Drive Distance - 315.1, number 1 ranked for the event
    Driving Accuracy - 62.5%, T11th best
    Longest Drive - 379 yards, 2nd best

Eagles - 1, ranked T2nd
    Birdies - 19, ranked 1st
    Pars - 46, ranked T34th
    Bogeys - 6, ranked 2nd
    Doubles - 0, ranked T1st...

Didnt he do well... It just shows that if his driving game is on form he will win most of the events he enters. You had to be high in the Driving stats to do well around here and he did...!!! I do feel however that when it comes to the Majors, where the rough and course is a touch harder this is where he falls short. I do think he has reigned in his attacking play from 5-10 years ago and i think this almost cautious approach is just stopping him from adding another Major title to his name. If he can get any confidence in his game for smashing the ball again without any fear he could well get to 20 Majors before he is done...!!!

With the USPGA coming up this week it will be interesting to see if Tiger can bring his driving stats to Oak Hill, because if he can he will take some bloomin stopping...!!!

17. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Well done Stick, 9-2 was indeed a great price in the end!

Shame we missed out on Inbee!

roll on the last Major of the year!