1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What 3 things made you vote to leave Europe ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, May 30, 2021.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

... and are you confident they'll happen?

I always thought that the majority of people would vote remain, which was what I'd hoped would happen, but democracy is the only way, in my opinion, so I've accepted the outcome and will carry on with things as usual. Out of interest, and nothing else, I'd like to ask what were the three most important issues that prompted people to want to leave? Not just 'to regain control' which is a bit vague and impossible to prove or disprove. How much control we now have, when the government seem to act with impunity, is impossible to gauge tbh.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

I've always said that it swayed people's decisions by 2 things mainly, the first I would have said was immigration and i believe this was the biggest influence in the leave votes.
    I think in the remain side it was down to how it would affect their jobs or businesses. I know a few people that work at Nissan who voted remain simply because they worried about their job.
    I don't know enough about how the ins and outs worked and believe a lot of people don't.
    I would never criticise anyone whichever way they voted for the simple fact there were so many lies, or should I say exaggerations from both sides as to the true facts.
    We had some of the same people telling us that it would be catastrophic if we left that told us it would be catastrophic if we didn't join the euro.
    Not really understanding enough about it, I thought I'll watch a Martin Lewis special where people were asking questions about how it would affect everything from jobs to pension and mortgages, he gave some good advice but at the end of each section he stated that's just my opinion and till it happens no one knows.
    I have not said which way I voted and neither will I because some people will disagree with everything you say because you voted differently to them.
    My life personally hasn't changed, that maybe is because of covid it hasn't taken full affect yet, so at the moment I still havnt got a clue whether it was the best thing to leave or not

3. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

The Eurovision song contest....

4. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

Hartlepool the voice of the voters sent vibrations through Parliament something they would pay no attention to before

Procurement and distribution of vaccine a government working for the people without control from a foreign power.

Opening trade routes to other countries, creating free trade ports, jobs, putting pride back into forgotten areas of the country that London centric, E U loving politicians forgot existed.

Difficult to select just 3 but I think those are at the forefront smug

5. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I don't think anything to do with this Pandemic would count as well, as the decision to leave was made long before. I'm in the camp of wish we stayed in but as Smug says, democracy must prevail and we have to get on with it. I don't think we will know the actual human cost of Brexit for another few years, but I am betting thousands of people who voted out, will definitely be out.......Out of work.

6. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Europe
    Europe
    Europe

7. Smug in Boots

Didn't Brexit precede any thoughts of a vaccine.

DH4, Jarrows tower and Guy Incognito like this.
  8. Smug in Boots

I think this will end up as an imperfect situation that will take a decade or more to settle down ...

... as opposed to an imperfect situation that was already in place.

My main regret is that it will make it difficult for our children, and grandchildren, to work in Europe which will make them insular and narrow minded over time.

9. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

This for me as well. The vote was authorised by Cameron to appease the right of the party. It didn't turn out as planned, however the opposition have failed miserably.

10. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I voted in, in the 70s and out a few years ago.

I still am in favour of trade with the EU, but it had morphed into quickly moving towards political union of an United States of Europe. I am very much in favour of Subsidiarity, ie decisions should be taken at the lowest level not the highest by some remote bureaucracy.
    Immigration and free movement of people sounds great in theory, but in the UK case there were a lot more ins than out. Yes I reckon the economy needed more workers but the influx depressed wages. Certainly a TV programme about geordie men working in London could not be made now as it is cheaper labour from the EU has supplanted them. I also do not think you are a racist if a lot of people come and live in your community and you do not feel you belong there anymore.
    Then there is value for money, we were a net payer into Europe. I believe Scotland get more govt funds per head than England.. fine if their need is greater and they are part of the UK.. no problem, but to do the same for other EU countries is a bit too much.
    I could go on..

Essentially nothing wrong with bringing down trade barriers, all wrong with political union and paying for the privilege

11. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

It may have been democracy but it should never have been left to the population to vote. Imagine some ****ing scruffy chav or a knocked up lass knowing what is best for the country. That is why we elect Governments and MP’s, to look after our interests and make big decisions. Christ even a smart intelligent, erudite person like myself couldn’t have told you what was best at the time and we had to rely on Politicians telling the truth which isn’t really going to happen. I think we might need CANZUK to hurry along
    Of course I didn’t answer the question, but it’s a nice day, just waiting for all the family to come around and the BBQ begins.

Iain, Gil T Azell and SAFCDRUM like this.
  12. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

I voted to go into the Common Market back in the 70’s.
    I was getting a little dismayed at the march towards a United States of Europe, the lack of accountability of the EU governance and the inefficiences. Despite that I voted to remain because I prefer cooperation to conflict.
    And I despise the message put over by Farage, Johnson and Gove that we’re better than them and need to keep out the foreign scum, (the people who kept farming and hospitality alive)
    Looking back, the leave soundbites were more enticing than the remain. “Take back control, be proactive, do something.” As opposed to “Things ain’t so bad, let’s not do anything, it’ll be ok”
    Hey ho. It did provide many hours of entertainment at least.

13. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil Well-Known Member

Neil Kinnock helped sway my opinion.
    Tosser.

14. OldNewtown

OldNewtown Well-Known Member

Well looks like I'm excluded from this thread as I voted to remain.
    That said I would have been far happier with a common market than a United states of Europe

15. Smug in Boots

I watched endless debates and read countless articles but didn't know what it all meant ...

... in all honesty I still don't have a clue.

16. alan reed

alan reed Well-Known Member

Immigration. The French. The Germans

17. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

industry...

the EU was always after grabbing more 'fishing space' but i always took the view that we are an island whereas EU countries had a coastal side and it was one of our main industries...farming, i used to get on well with a local farmer and one crop he loved to get in the ground was potatoes yet the EU told him how many acres he could grow (a mere 4 acres last count) but look around the fields and take a look at all the rape seed oil fields we were 'allowed' to grow, on the plus side i guess were all the fields that farmers were subsidised to plough back in, business' were 'relocated' around the EU so each country had something to export as the original 'common market' basically worked on the idea that if you import a tonne of a product you can then export a tonne of a product (a good idea in theory) but it failed due to the usual greed.

most EU countries will never agree on most things due to old, should be forgotten arguments and conflicts, if they all forgot those petty differences and used more common sense, the EU may well have worked better.

Woody, RTB, Robertson and 1 other person like this.
  18. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Referendums are idiotic to my mind.

A few years ago the great unwashed over here voted as to whether gay people should be allowed to marry.

I find it reprehensible that someone with no understanding nor stake in the matter decided that.

It's weak from a government who can't make their own decisions and it leaves us open to absolute ****-upery.

Brian Storm, TopCat_, Nordic and 3 others like this.
  19. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

One thought was if the EU had not pushed so hard on political union and let the Common Market go along for another 50 or 75 years, it would have happened naturally, forcing the pace was always going to pizz off a lot of people in a lot of countries as they were effectively being coerced against their will. That's how I felt anyhow... being told what I had to do or even worse being conned into it.

20. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike the bureaucracy within the EU headquarters I voted remain.

Robertson likes this.