1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What 3 things made you vote to leave Europe ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, May 30, 2021.

1. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

I voted remain - I thought from particularly a "micro-economic" prospect that Europe had provided significant funding for the North East and I am still not certain this will be replicated by Whitehall.
    I still believe that the idea of a trading block was a good idea and certainly gave us a mass when competing with USA/China. However some of the bureaucracy was at times baffling or at least appeared to be. The sad thing was in a way we were a useful dissenting voice in there at times.
    However we are where we are and think a campaign which led with NHS etc was always going to resonate more than one which had a more economy base. However I think remain didn't campaign that well (I think that was complacency) but the lies in the campaign that were openly spouted demonstrate why a referendum is just not a good way of deciding policy

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

That's how I feel tbh.

We've made ourselves a little island, without much manufacturing or industry, that can easily be ignored.

If we lose our financial and insurance clout we'll be in trouble ...

... lose our arms sales and we'll lose a lot more.

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I voted remain, and still would, but I doubt I, or my kin will ever get the chance again. Thanks to the right wing of the Tory Party and its backers.

Jarrows tower likes this.
  4. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say that there were three things really, there was one big thing for me and that was immigration. I actually took a job at a place called Plastic Omnium near Birmingham and I’m not exaggerating when I say that I was the only Englishman. It’s quite disconcerting to feel like a foreigner in your own country. I never heard a word of English spoken all day and wasn’t made to feel particularly welcome. Even the team brief before the shift was conducted in either Polish or Romanian. I lasted about 4 hours.

I’m not against immigration full stop, but I believe that the levels we have seen since 2004 have been ridiculously high.

5. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

I voted to remain and I would again but I lost that’s how democracy works, I hope to get a chance to vote again and be on the winning side that time. This time I would want it to be made clear that we are joining a United States of Europe, with a fully democratic settlement, a directly elected President and a fully elected parliament, to over see the commission in the same way that our parliament oversees the civil service. So a very different set up to now.

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.
  6. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

I voted leave. I'm actually quite pro immigration (with an ageing population we need it, anyone coming here and working hard is fine by me). I think I just didn't like the fact that if we said to stay but it was close she'd never be asked again. There isn't a European army or owt, but we don't know what will happen in the future and I thought I'd rather work closely with them as friends and neighbours without being forever tied. There was a lot of misinformation in the lead up to the vote mind.

I wanted a soft brexit though, I didn't want what was ultimately delivered. Another vote once they knew what they could actually deliver would have been fine. With a result that close I think it's fair to assume the majority would be on the side of a soft brexit. But it is what it is.

Robertson and clockstander like this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I’ll be honest. A lot of my reasoning was down to the Tory “we know people won’t want to leave” arrogance.

8. Norway

Norway Well-Known Member

I couldn't vote, but would have voted to leave
    1 being ruled by unelected people
    2 Immigration
    3 Unelected people spending loads of the peoples money with impunity
    4 lack of transparency
    5 having to move mountains of documents every month from Brussels to Strasborg and back again costing millions.

I voted to join the common market, because it was a free trade union, but in no way would I have accepted the Lisbon treaty or whatever it was called after that, blame good old Tony Blair, who thought he knew better than anyone else.

9. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

1 -While I was very happy with the EU that we originaly joined this had morphed into a Political Union that I disliked.
    I like being British.
    Much as I love my holidays in the Latin Countries, I can not feel that I have much in common with them.
    While this is a hard one to define, (for me), I supose it's a cultural thing.

2 - Britain, particularly England, has built up a legal system and codes of Laws, Rights and Responsibilites, over a period of 1200+ years.
    Our parliamentary system has been evolving over 800+ years.
    This is all very different from our European neighbours.
    Our systems represent what is best about our history.
    But more and more Our Parliament had become subservient to The EU and the European Court superior, in rank, to our Courts.

This was a situation that was only ever going to get worse.

3 - The real financial wake up call was the bail out's required.
    Not part of The Euro, GB still had to pay to cover the profligacy of others.
    While this didn't bother me, relatively small beer, this time, some of the economic problems being allowed to build up in the EU did.
    France, where the population is much attached to their very generous wealfare system but for which this same population is not prepared to pay.
    Italy. Another disater waiting to happen.

Best to abandon this ship BEFORE it hits troubled waters.

-------------

And to Smug, thanks for an interesting question.
    But SO FAR, I'm happy enough with the outcome.
    (It's ironic to think that IF The EU had been just a bit more flexible with David Cameron and given him something by way of cocessions to put befoe the UK Electorate, we would probably have voted to remain).

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  10. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

People who bang on about Cameron and the Tories causing this forget that the EU response to calls for reform were '**** off. What are you going to do, leave?'

If he'd gotten those reforms he wouldn't even have held the referendum, he'd have said the concessions meant there didn't need to be one.

I'd have no problems rejoining a reformed EU.

11. Smug in Boots

I always felt we were powerful enough to fight our corner from the inside whereas now it's 'us against the world' ...

... perhaps that's what people wanted, who knows.

DH4 and Iain like this.
  12. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Never a bad thing being master of your own destiny :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. Smug in Boots

Depends who the captain is <laugh>

Nordic, DH4 and Sunderpitt like this.
  14. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Touche <cheers>

Smug in Boots likes this.
  15. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

You do know that with far less people coming in from Europe, immigration from the Indian sub continent and Africa will go up not down.

DH4, OldNewtown and clockstander like this.
  16. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

It certainly did, much the same as trying to bribe the Belarus state by Von Der Lying to the tune of Euro3 billion to become a democracy.:emoticon-0136-giggl

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

No doubt about it, but with the new points based system hopefully they will come in with skills that we need and we won’t be flooded with people who have low skills who are then competing for jobs with the working class Brits, keeping wages down, but you knew that already didn’t you?

18. OldNewtown

OldNewtown Well-Known Member

When business leaders cant get workers, without paying them a proper wage, they will lobby government to relax rules on immigration and lo and behold...

19. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

It was leave for me. 1) Immigration - not to stop it but to control and revise. 2) To have our own laws. 3) Knowing nothing about the unelected people in charge and the corruption of the gravy train, unquestioned no receipt required expenses . If what I read about Kinnock ( and family) is correct , I cannot comprehend how his salary could have built up his pension fund, nor why he should have been given £325k re settlement fee to help him “ settle” back home !!
    I appreciate that some will argue they have lost jobs, been individually adversely affected etc. but at the time I said that in a years time , 3years or 7 years , wether in or out , Tory or labour , I will wake up each day and my personal existence and life will be no different , especially if I ignore the news . Pleased to say I’m ok , but do empathise with anyone who isn’t as a result of leave

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  20. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

For the UK, trying to ascertain the financial/economic affects of Brexit from the pandemic and vice versa will be impossible.

Was/is it right that we import more from the EU than we exported?

I will do my bit and drink more Australian wines now than the usual French wine... if the mice have not got there first!