1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What a horrible cringing begging letter ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So it's ok for Rafa to want to make money but not Ashley?

Arguably Ashley as owner is doing a better job than Benitez did as manager.

smithy in nl, BigPete and SAFCY like this.
  2. turnthetide3

turnthetide3 Active Member

Hmm, Rafa and trust - it seems he had his visa and bags packed long before the season ended. Is that the same trust and respect Bruce showed Sheffield Wednesday. Forget Keegan as well, to find someone who you could trust and respect, go back to Joe Harvey - ex-player, ex-manager and last person to win a major trophy.

3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

No statue for Harvey though, despite being a player and manager who actually won something.

SAFCY and turnthetide3 like this.
  4. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

5. turnthetide3

6. Smug in Boots

The last current major trophy was 1955, more than half of the club's existence ago.

We're almost as bad tbh, 1973 ffs <doh>

turnthetide3 likes this.
  7. turnthetide3

Yes Smug, but wasn't our happiness nearly as great a year later when they went to Wembley thinking they were going to beat Liverpool lol

Smug in Boots likes this.
  8. Smug in Boots

My point concerns the reason Benitez gave for leaving when he claimed it was nothing to do with the money.

No it was about 'his vision'.

So, bearing in mind that he'll obviously never get a top job, what exactly is that?

He's now touting himself to the PL thereby announcing he's no longer interested in his Chinese 'project'.

If his high principles drove him away from Newcastle he surely can't take a job where he knows he can't compete.

If he does it will prove, beyond doubt, that he's a fraud and a hypocrite.

Bigmackem, BigPete and SAFCY like this.
  9. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

benitez stated it was not money but the “vision” and “project”

you fell for his rhetoric hook, line and sinker

Lol. Of course, he got you, he would never leave for simple money. He loved the city, he loved the fans.

he lost the first five home games last season

Bruce has improved that straight away.

10. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Laughable is it not? Ashley is running the club perfectly, broke their transfer record twice and they are in the premier league. Bruce has achieved more home wins than benitez did in the first six months last season

excuses for benitez that anyone would have took the money but Ashley is a disgrace for doing the exact same thing

nope it’s simply down to the 90s period which instead of being the blip it was, is the very minimum the deluded think they should have now.

1955 and counting. No major domestic trophies. That is the norm not the 90s entertainerzzzzz

11. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Bob stokoe was a mag and we’ve got a statue of him. Iirc he was playing when the mags actually won a domestic trophy

turnthetide3 likes this.
  12. Consett Mag

Maybe if you lads feel Rafa is bad, then to us it may mean he's good. Doubt we'll resolve this psychology stuff.

But it's lovely to breeze down the country road of nostalgia - particularly fitting when the present is so troubling.
    That Netflix series about your club is still on if anyone's interested.

13. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Argument lost well and truly here.

Ashley makes money...bad

benitez makes money...good

can you not see how ridiculous your stance on this is?

BigPete likes this.
  14. Smug in Boots

I've never said he was bad, just that he's a hypocrite who made fools of the fans who'd supported him.

That's the point of the thread, no idea where Netflix comes into it, there's probably a thread if you're interested.

SAFCY and BigPete like this.
  15. BigPete

BigPete Well-Known Member

Argument lost so he's resorted to ah well you're ****.

SAFCY and Consett Mag like this.
  16. Smug in Boots

Probably the reason he came on here in the first place, they're quite predictable tbh.

BigPete and SAFCY like this.
  17. Consett Mag

I'll be honest for what it's worth.
    I came onto your board to see some comments from Sunderland fans about the cup replay match from last night.
    I didn't comment about the match or its significance or not.
    I then clicked this thread and saw it was an opinion about our old boss. It's obvious that us lot can't stand and have minimal time for our senior management team, but do have time for Rafa. We were grateful for his efforts and wish him luck for the future.
    It's unlikely I'll win much agreement from you lads, partly because I'm in your space, but I acknowledge if I'd been born 20 miles from where I was, I'd probably be right with you.

Both sets of fans have had our resources badly used for near enough a century, so there are similarities in our paths. It could be us in the doo.
    I applaud your comment Big Pete. Cracking response, but if you want to chastise me for taking the Rafa character assassination off topic, making references to trophy stats from the last century IMO gives allowance to mention Netflix comedies.

18. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

You defended Rafa by saying anyone would take the money

you hate Ashley because he makes a profit, ie making money

I’ll ask again, can you not see the complete idiocy of using this as an argument?

19. Smug in Boots

I didn't chastise you.

And, as I've already said, I'm not saying he's a bad manager just a hypocrite for his lies when he left Newcastle.

20. Consett Mag

Respectfully, this is not my argument. I'm on your board so I'll respond to your wind up.
    I stated that any of us (us ordinary poor people) would drop what we're doing and sign up for a job that pays £12m a year. It's hypocritical to deny this. Rafa is already wealthy, so I feel it wasn't purely about money. He also was being offered a contact to stay with us. Probably earning less than half of that Chinese money, BUT also with a heap load of strings attached - which would leave him with little control of how he does his job. Rafa wanted probably full control of incomings and outgoing deals. That's my opinion of why he left and it's as valid as yours.

We Toon fans don't hate Ashley because he makes money and profit. That's just silly. Businesses need sustainable profits to exist. No ifs or buts there. Ashley initially paid off our debts ie the mortgage - and now we owe him. We can't stand him for many well known reasons, including but not just, decisions such as the name change of our home. That was hilarious! As well his past treatment of Keegan and Shearer, nothing is spent on the ground or our training facilities and no mature player (the experienced player which every team needs) is bought. I'll stop there. Google the rest if you can be bothered.

Profits by Ashley is fine if the supporters feel that our resources are being used for team development. We don't.