1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What a Mess and Downward Spiral

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 6, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City verdict: What a fine mess as loss to Coventry City continues Robins downward spiral
    Our City reporter's considered take following a third Championship reverse in a row.

Can you hear that screeching sound again? Chalk up yet another defeat as Bristol City swing into a nosedive once more, the air filled with the accompanying drone of the Robins hurtling to Earth.

Following an incredible 11th loss in the last 15 league games, the bottom has truly fallen away for this club of late. The players must take responsibility for some shameful performances and results over the months.

A second-half-of-the-season collapse has become all too common in BS3 over the last years and we'll not be disappointed once again.

Only we are, because forever beguiling is the seductive hope that finally, finally things might come together for long-awaited success.

Nigel Pearson plus the backing of billionaire Steve Lansdown: surely a match made in Severn with the potential to finally get things going in the right direction. It's still early days but doesn't football just love to kick you square in the ********?

Thank goodness for the change of manager in February. It worked in so far as Bristol City need, likely, just one more result to guarantee safety following those two precious scorelines against Middlesbrough and Swansea City making the difference earlier on and for that we should be thankful, but by heck there's a mess down at Ashton Gate.

Trust me, you're bored of watching it, I'm tired of writing it... Even Andi Weimann's comments on Robins TV were soporifically bland and reeked of a lack of conviction.

City were poor once again: outfought by a Coventry side more competitive and more eager to simply get to the ball first and win the physical challenge.

Pearson saw it too: "What disappoints me the most is we’re looking for a response and we didn’t get it. I didn’t think we showed the right character traits possibly, as much as anything. I didn’t see a collective determination, I didn’t see game understanding and I don’t like players ducking out of challenges," he said following the game.

The Robins came off the back of a scarcely unbelievable seven defeats in a row at Ashton Gate, showing the severe task at hand if this team is going to be moulded into a genuinely serious side capable of making the top six.

But there were few signs that many of these players will be in BS3 over the longer term.

Defensive deficiencies once again
    Uncharacteristic errors from Tommy Rowe and Tomas Kalas saw goals two and three handed to the Sky Blues as Matty Godden smashed in a penalty and substitute Viktor Gyokeres slid into the corner past Dan Bentley to seal the contest.

Before that, the Championship's worst side at defending set-pieces had conceded yet another (now 20 conceded; next worse are Barnsley on 15) as the defence were unable to repel a long throw from Sam McCallum and Kyle McFadzean made the first contact to flick into the area, after just nine minutes. A half clearance from Adrian Mariappa was gobbled up by Leo Ostigard for his first goal of the season.

"A careless start," Pearson described it as afterwards. And Bristol City were thankful to Bentley that he was able to push a goal-bound Godden strike onto the post in the first half to keep themselves in the game.

Mark Robins was understandably jubilant after the match to see his team go from one of their worst performances of the season to one of the best, following a 3-0 thrashing at QPR on Good Friday.

"I think ultimately, from Friday to today it was chalk and cheese. They've come in today and worked their socks off for each other.

"The character was there and, for me today, that's what it was all about," he said after the game, with his side taking a giant step towards safety given results elsewhere: Rotherham losing, chiefly.

Bristol City showed no such personality on the pitch and roundly got what they deserved, bar for a a 20-minute spell at the end of the first half when Antoine Semenyo looked dangerous sweeping over two low crosses for Han-Noah Massengo and Nahki Wells to attack.

The mountain to the top is steep, and on the latest and early first steps of the journey, under Pearson, the Robins seem to be already out of breath and unprepared for the challenge ahead.

Pearson not perfect
    But why are the Robins so damn bad currently? Well don't forget - and we do! - that the squad is missing almost an entire team still: Dasilva, Mawson, Baker, Pring; Williams, Walsh, Paterson; O'Dowda, Martin, Weimann. Not a bad City line-up indeed and certainly one steeped in experience.

Then factor in the five changes and international break that upsets the rhythm of players and teams. English football has been littered with freak results over the last week. Admittedly this was not one. But it is coming to the sharp end of the season and those basement-dwelling teams are facing their last fights ahead of possible relegation.

Bristol City have looked short of motivation of late, which is surprising given the new manager and that many are playing for their futures.

Pearson also made his changes too early for us in this one, with Wells bringing the visitors back into the game with still 10 minutes to go but without the dangerous Semenyo or Famara Diedhiou on the pitch by then, instead the West Country outfit reliant on two tyros only making their first tentative senior steps in the game. If one last chance had fallen to anyone, surely Diedhiou would have been the more likely to score.

Maybe this squad is naturally settling to where they deserve to be in the table, based on their qualities.

Still, with much of the week to now work on the team, we expect much better come Nottingham Forest arriving on Saturday.

Reasons to be cheerful
    There are always some positives to take from every fixture, even games as dreary as this. Away from the experience gained by Tommy Conway making his debut and Sam Pearson getting more game-time down the right flank, surely it must be Zak Vyner.

While Antoine Semenyo was one of the few to do himself justice, Vyner grew in the game, showed his versatility and has possibly been the find of the season for the Robins.

One brilliant volleyed pass to release Wells down the left flank in the first half was a highlight, and the academy graduate could be key in the final six games of the campaign.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-verdict-what-fine-5265869

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

It's been a downward spiral since SL had a knee-jerk reaction and sacked LJ, then followed it up with a pi$$ poor appointment in Holden, it's set us back 4 years.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

For me it started after Steve Cotterill was sacked and the owner then showed his lack of ambition and his determination to do things on the cheap on the Manager front. Yes, we had the LC run under Johnson but in terms of consistency in the league it's been Ski Sunday ever since and where we are now is the net result of that. Without a literal wholesale clear out, I'm not even sure that Nige can achieve anything with this bunch of clowns.

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

You are entitled to your 5 minutes of LJ luvee waffle but we are in the here and now, I have not heard a word of criticism from NP about LJ, he is just striving to pick up the pieces he inherited and deserves all the support we can give him, Bristol City can still be relegated, he is the man to take us forward given half a chance.

LJ is doing well, good luck to him, he failed with us and has long gone, he is not our baggage any longer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  5. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I think this is the understatement of the last 12 month's......

6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Thing with LJ was that he did love the club..knew the club inside out and maybe needed a few more years to gain experience ..but the fans demanded instant success....like we've seen in the past..............................not.................that's worked out well!!
    Nige is here for the dosh and to up his CV.
    But like Wiz has said (in not so many words).......we are where we are...we try to move on

7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Tbf to my boy.

Upon his appointment 5years ago the SL/MA plan was to sell and buy, buy and sell our way to the Premiership.
    City are now up sh*t creek without a paddle.
    99% of the criticism has been aimed at Junior while Ashton keeps his head down.
    Ashton ie equally culpable for this shambles.

brookksyboy39 and Supcon72 like this.
  8. Angelicnumber16

But above all else, the holding of the ****ty stick and no gloves in sight sits firmly with Lansdown who has overseen all of this mess on the field.

9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

10. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Off the field Bristol City have the family member (Chairman) in Bermuda seemingly permanently doing something (housing development), a ever so popular CEO heavily linked to another club who have been taken over, a billionaire owner looking for alternative funding for the FC ... The teams Manager on a contract that ends in months.

11. Angelicnumber16

It's like the worst soap opera ever. Unfortunately ours is happening in real life.
    Quite what Jon Lansdowns role at the club is I don't know but he's hardly actively involved from what I can see.

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Blatant nepotism in my eyes........

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Another of the Johnson clan leaves ~
    (Adam Griffin has departed Bristol City as a senior scout, who Bristol Live had previously reported had joined to help with the Robins' talent spotting and who is a cousin of former head coach Lee Johnson.)

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I thought Uncle Pete was the scout?
    Never heard of this guy.......

15. Supcon72

Don't believe all Redprintt tells you...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  16. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Uncle Pete was our scout during GJ's tenure. Among others he brought Basso and Marvin Elliott to City.

Supcon, your comment 'square ball Marv' shows the level of your football intelect.
    Marvin Elliott is second only to Gerry Gow in that position.

17. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Probably gone to Sunderland to help them get promoted.....

18. Supcon72

The bite took longer than I thought <laugh>