1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What a ***t Owen is!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

From the BBC live sport feed;

Aldershot's Jermaine McGlashan on Twitter after he revealed that he had asked for Manchester United's Michael Owen's shirt after Tuesday's Carling Cup game and had been turned down: "He said why would I want his shirt!!! I said I appreciate good players etc..he sed no your alright!!! #BigTimeCharlie I Guess"

All this guy asked for was your shirt to keep and to remember the night so he could tell his kids/grand-kids later on... but no, you turned him down because you didn't think he was good enough to have your shirt.

How sad is that?

2. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

**** sake, you think Owen would be glad that someone actually regarded him as something resembling a decent player for the first time in god knows how long.

3. Marvo

Marvo Member

I'd bet it was just a misunderstanding, or McGlashan is a liar.

I know it's the done thing around Newcastle to hate Owen because you think he's somehow wronged the club, but he's a decent enough guy.

4. scottish_in_the_toon

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Decent guy Owen and to be honest the whole shirt swapping thing has lost its way with half of them finding their way into the hands of people looking to make a quick buck. Its actually quite a contrite statement too "why would you want my shirt?" insinuating that there was an array of stars to choose from and he's a bit of an also ran now. Maybe he could have been more accomodating but its hardly a reason to hate him? Honestly the misplaced anger from our fans around the guy is embarrassing if you ask me.

6. steviemac14

steviemac14 Active Member

Na he's a bellend, sorry like <ok>

7. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

I tend to agree

Owen never pretended he liked us or wanted to play here. He played well until he got injuries that were real and weren't his fault. In the last 3 months leading up to relegation, he clearly didn't give a toss and hsi play showed it, but that described about half the team. You can be a bit disappointed in him for those last 3 months but it hardly justifies the vitriol

8. Pipe4Life

Pipe4Life Active Member

seems a bit harsh. he seems like a fairly decent bloke but i it left a sour taste in my mouth the way he rinsed us ultimately.

9. Why aye Cabaye

Why aye Cabaye Active Member

He was club captain, we got relegated, he left without saying a word and appeared to put very little effort into most games he played when we went down. Clearly didn't care. Then comes out and says that he'd rather be a benchwarmer at a successful club rather than a regular starter in a bad side - he played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Us, and Man U so who was he referring to? Was happy with the £110k per week.

All that was required was for him to have the decency to come out when we got relegated and say he, his team, weren't good enough, didn't show enough fight and that he (as club captain) was sorry. Wasn't too much to ask.

So I think he did wrong the club (as we fans are part of it) <ok>

10. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

I've still got an Owen shirt that I wear occasionally, never had any issues with him. I don't buy the 'he looked disinterested' argument, because he's never looked passionate (other than celebrating a goal) in his career, he's a clinical finisher not a brawly midfielder. Barring injury he played well for us (as a sadly all too occasional partner for wor Al, or in the forward 3 with Oba and Viduka), up to a few missed chances that might have kept us up. All strikers go through droughts, unfortunately MO's came at the wrong time. His goal to game record was outstanding, and he saw out his contract, frankly of all the players who'd stick around after relegation I didn't expect Owen to be one so I wasn't disappointed when he moved to Man Utd. My hate list has a lot of players higher than Michael Owen.

11. 5 Goals 1 Hat Trick 11 Heroes-NUFC4LIFE

12. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

BURN HIM <grr><grr>

13. StoneyNUFC

StoneyNUFC Member

Michael who?

Who cares? I don't know why people think he's a nice guy either! I don't care either way, just a washed out football player IMHO

Didn't like the comments he came out with about aus a fwew months ago, but hey ho never cared for what he had to say anyway

14. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

We bought an injury prone player, paid way over the odds, and paid him way over the odds. That is down to FS, no one else and certainly not Owen. Unfortunately some of our more moronic fans began a hate campaign against towards the backend of the relegation season. Frustrated by the shambles we were they began to constantly snipe and try to put everything on Owens shoulders making him the scapegoat. There was aboslutely no point in him saying anything when we were relegated, dignified silence was a much better approach. The inbreds had already made their mind up and allowed jealousy of his earning power to cloud their judgement. As for leaving us to join Man U? No brainer of the year.

We were hearing such comical things as "he should busting his gut chasing down lost causes" etc etc. To be honest that just shows a complete lack of knowledge about football and the player himself. What was he when broke through? What was he when we bought him? He was an injury prone goalgetter who didn't do much else except score. All of a sudden because things are not going great the guy is no longer acceptable in the form we bought him, he needs to be something else and we now hate him. Moronic as I say.

The bottom line is its a two way street when the footballer signs. The footballer is made a load of promises about the future running of the club, signings and so on, while the player is expected to uphold his part of the bargain by training hard and doing his best. Owen may not have produced his best form but it was mainly down to the team they put around him and the lack of cohesion in the off field set up. We failed him. We should never have bought him but when we did and we made our promises, we should have kept them.

He has apologised to fans many times after relegation, and spoke strongly that he felt the fans deserved better. he has allowed himself to be riled by some of the **** our supporters have spouted about him, and he should have been bigger than that. But all in all I like the bloke and he did nowt wrong by this club. Same goes for Barton, Enrique, Carroll and many others. Unfortunately now it seems the done thing that if a player leaves they are instantly disliked and any good they've done is forgotten. I find it pathetic.

15. 5 Goals 1 Hat Trick 11 Heroes-NUFC4LIFE

Completely agree.

16. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

The bit that annoys me is when people say he didn't work hard in the relegation season. We had the least creative midfield I'd ever seen at the club, with Butt and Smith, and Duff, Nolan and Jonas at their very worst, and Owen was regularly coming to the edge of our own area just to get a touch. Lack of service is the biggest understatement I've ever heard.

17. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

* no we didnt, we bought him and he then tore his cruciate in the WC

** well i didnt, my ire was directed at people like Smith, Butt, Martins etc. I viewed Owen as the only man who could rescue the situation as he had the ability if he tried, he didn't try. It was ok for him, his contract was up at the end of the season, he wasnt going down with the ship in his eyes

*** where? I have yet to hear him say it

**** not true, i think you will find most of the time it is the manner of their departure that will leave the bitter taste. Players will say all the right things to endear themselves to the fans and the fans sometimes allow themselves to get sucked into it a little too much. But it is in the departure of a player where you can really guage how the player viewed the club and fans. Players like Enrique I still like as when he left we could see it was done with some regret and he was leaving behind somewhere he liked but he, understandably, viewed Liverpool as a stepping stone for contention for the Spain squad, who could begrudge a player that. However someone like Nolan who always made the right noises left despite a more than generous contract offer and opted to play in a lower division for sligthly more and slightly longer. it was obvious that his waxing lyrical about the fantastic fans, club, dressing room was all a show. He may have enjoyed it but it certainly wasnt enough to keep him around when he didnt get exactly what he wanted.
    Owen showed nothing but disdain for the club on his departure and for that reason all previous good he did was suddenly very empty

18. Tiote_like_a_Toiger

He missed a couple of big chances though - would have kept us up. He made it pretty clear that the only reason he was here was because he had no choice. His comment saying he would "rather be a reserve for a good team over a starter for a bad team" was poor. His lack of interest towards local media commitments was disappointing especially as he was captain! I understand Warm Pouch's view completely about how he didn't have much chance and he was just performing in the same way as he had always done in his career etc etc. But I'm sorry, you are the highest paid player, club captain, club talisman and his attitude and commitment was far too questionable - not good enough.

19. Arfa's Left Foot

Arfa's Left Foot Active Member

Martins missed a sitter at Villa. Most people have forgotten that.
    Viduka didn't score all season. Nobody remembers that.
    Owen 'looked' disinterested despite often having to drop to the edge of his own box to get a touch in a game. Everyone remembers that.

Some people are so stupid it hurts.

20. Marvo

Marvo Member

By the relegation season Owen had no reason to put in much effort for the club - By that point he'd already had years of abuse from the fans regardless of how well he played or not. For whatever reason he was disliked from about 3 months into his time here.

The "rather be a reserve for a good team over a starter for a bad team" comment was a fairly lighthearted joke that a bunch of insecure fools took too seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.