1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What do we need to do?

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Bilversack, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

The facts are that Waddock said "judge me when I have had time to assemble my own squad"
    He has now had the time and to a small extent the money, whether in wages or to a smaller extent in transfer fees . My judgement is that we are not in a better place
    I don't think i have ever experienced such a player merry go round in the last 20 or so years without a managerial change, which means the manager isn't getting his signings right or isn't getting the best out of those he signs.
    You mention not expecting miracles and I certainly don't. I have been following Wycombe since our non-league days and have enjoyed the ride along the way. I am not "blinkered" by the MO'n days. What i expect is some sort of consistency both in terms of how we play and also in our playing squad. Is the thought of us becoming a mid table League 1 club really that far fetched?
    I think the club should still have ambition. We certainly don't run on the smallest budget in League 1 (that is another fact for you), therefore, why shouldn't fans expect a little better. I think that most fans who enjoy a promotion season have sort of expectation for the following year, whether that be mid table mediocrity, survival or promotion. I don't recall hardly any fans on here crowing that we will get promotion. Many hoped for a mid table finish with the realistic view that survival is really what we are aiming for.
    You quote:
    "I truly hope Waddock proves a lot of people wrong. Its so sad seeing what seems to be the status quo that is modern football 'support' these days. A couple of months of your team struggling and a you turn on your own manager"
    It isn't about Waddock proving people wrong. It's about getting the best out of what you have. No real WWFC fan wants us to go down "to prove Waddock is poor". However, your generalisation about anyone who isn't happy with what the manager is achieving being a "modern football fan" is plainly wrong. I am certainly no "modern football fan" and I wasn't calling for Waddock's head after two months of the season or his tenure.
    My view is that I am dissappointed with the squad we have currently. We are in a similar position to when Waddock took over and my hopes after a couple of seasons of football would have been to see some improvement. I am sure he didn't apply for and get the position with the aim of achieving the same. It is with this in mind that I feel someone else could potentially do better. I am not calling for his head now, but i do want the club to achieve as much as it possiby can, be that a "modern" view or not

2. gravey5174

gravey5174 Member

Js in reference to your comment about havig a laugh at last years lack of fight commitment and tactical change you clearly didn't go to all of the games last year then most notably springs to my mind is the chesterfield away match which i went to but i'm not sure that you could say the same about the players. And the mention of the third best defensive record of which how much was down to bull? And if we were that solid how did he run away with the player of the year award?

I'm not belittling the acheivement merely pointing out what rocky has mentioned. That altho it was a success there was still massive issues with the defence that needed to be at minimum worked on and they haven't and now we are in a higher league its obvious that these would be exposed more and yet still waddock does not do anything about it. And tactical change? There has only been one instance i can say with any certainty that waddock has made a tactical change during a match apart from that nothing. And they are why he should go but he won't he'll be here through to the end of his contract.

As for mid table in league one what is wrong with that? Leyton orient, hartlepool, bury, Notts County, Col U Oldham Tranmere exeter yeovil are with all due respect within what we should be competitive against and that makes up almost half the league.

3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

well said gravey couldnt have put it better myself <ok>

4. Rocky blue army

i was one of those supporters that were saying that but i was wrong,waddock has lost the plot in my opinion and should go

5. 123..

123.. Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. devonblue

devonblue Member

What he said. Say whatever you like about this season but lets not pretend we were all dissecting our defensive problems on the last game of last season. It stinks of 'we all knew this would happen'. Well I didnt. And I reckon if any of you did, you should have put a bet on - let me know the lotto numbers while you at it.

Also, there is nothing wrong with wishing for/aiming for a mid table finish. I just dont think we should be moaning about the manager less than a year after he took us up and we were all singing about how great he was. Because (and ive yet to read a better argument than this) he has made a few duff signings. Surely, Surely, he has earnt the right to see us through to the end of this season.

7. gravey5174

gravey5174 Member

Clutching at straws maybe your definition Js but i went to a number of games last season where i thought that if the defence was not improved then we would be in trouble if we got promoted and i still believe that waddock has not addressed this tunnicliffe wanted to go back up north and sandell wanted out for his own reasons NOT what waddock decided so he hasn't done anything about it and regards defensive quality i think we'll have to disagree on that one . However on reflection it is hard to disagree with you on the team spirit aspect.

And funds available???? so do you think then that those teams i mentioned are operating on far bigger budgets? Because i don't and whether that may be guesswork in your mind its realism and it is those teams that we should be looking at beating if we are to stay up. Admittedly i'll give waddock his due because at home he is getting the results but whether i'll be saying that after the next 3-4 games is a differant story

And tactical changes is one of the main reasons why he is being criticised so heavily for. Take for example the huddersfield game which has been mentioned previously and the brentford match my other halfs family are all brentford fans and they were asking why we didn't make any changes the reason is because he can't he's useless in my opinion and altho i didn't think it so much last season i certainly wasn't one of those that was calling him the best thing since MON

8. 123..

123.. Member

9. gravey5174

gravey5174 Member

very true js very true i hope he proves me wrong.

10. Blue_Slasher

I think my point is that Waddock is not useless, but he has put us fairly and squarely back where we started when he joined us. I'll say it again, but his personal / club goals would not have been to maintain the "yo-yo" status of the club.
    It is the best managers at this level that make astute signings and get the very best out of their squads. Like i said, Waddock is not rubbish, merely average in my opinion. Wanting more for your club, whether it be player or managerial performance is not something that should be frowned upon. It is not as if Waddock has only been in the job a couple of months.
    Maybe League 2 is his comfort zone. A lot has been said about not taking notice of our promotion season, but realistically we were tipped to go back up due to the squad he inherited and the wages we pay compared to other League 2 clubs. That is not belittling his achievement, but i don't think he is the man to take us any further forward and there is probably someone out there that can!

11. Rocky blue army

agreed slasher waddock can cut it as a manager in league2 but struggles in league one,we need a fresh start as in my opinion he has taken us as far as he can,its time for someone else to step in.

12. Rocky blue army

how can stevenage kick ass in this division and we cant :huh:

13. Rocky blue army

ffsake another crap performance,oh well waddock knows what he is doing <doh>

14. Rocky blue army

js do you still think waddock is good enough <doh>

15. Bilversack

Bilversack Member

Does anyone know a manager out there who would a) come to us in our current predicament and b) would be better than Waddock?

I'm not taking sides in any way here - I've backed Waddock to the hilt until now and as it's been said already on this thread this was a must-win game. We blew it. Whilst I don't think Waddock is actually good enough for this division, I also still don't think him going will sort anything out - mainly because my answers to the questions above is that I can't think of anyone - that and it will cost us a fortune if he doesn't resign.

I really hoped someone like Gary Smith could come along with Steve Guppy after the great job they did in the States, but Smith's gone to Stevenage and don't know where Guppy is. Keith Scott was another name banded about, had a great record in non-league with Windor and Eton - but there's no chance he'll join us whilst Steve Hayes is in charge. I don't think the answer is Brown/Rhino or anyone like that - been out of the game too long and what experience they have got isn't that great.

Would be interested to hear others views though. Anyone think of anyone else?

16. Rocky blue army

how about me and finchy,couldnt do any worse <whistle>

17. Rocky blue army

good sides are built from the back and waddock doesnt know that,if you dont concede you dont lose its not rocket science.as for who would come in i dont really know but i am getting tired of waddocks excuses for us not competing in games and something needs to change or we will be in danger of dropping back into non league football

18. Bizza

Bizza Member

I will join and thrown a few cups of tea at the players at h/t to see if that gets a reaction. This game was so important to our season !

19. 123..

123.. Member

20. Blue_Slasher

Do you think someone like Phil brown might have a go?
    May well be too expensive for a club like us and we may not be overly attractive to him