1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Where Are They Now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 16, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

1. Keith Fear: A forward who has been inducted into Bristol City’s Hall of Fame. Served the club as lottery manager for three years and sold fruit and veg.
    2. Joe Durrell: Winger who became a PE teacher and was later a support teacher in Bethnal Green.
    3. Len Bond: Goalkeeper who helped Brentford win a promotion. He opened a newsagent’s in Exeter and now lives in Taunton where he runs a sportswear firm.
    4. Ray Cashley: Goalkeeper who later helped Chester win a promotion from Division Four. He worked in the promotions department of Weston-super-Mare FC and then became a driver.
    5. John Shaw: Goalkeeper who was part of two promotion squads at Ashton Gate. Now living in the Portishead area of Bristol and has run his own painting and decorating business since he retired.
    6. Mike Brolly: Winger who settled in Grimsby, where he won back-to-back promotions. He became a teacher at St Mary’s RC High School and then at Matthew Humberstone School, Cleethorpes.
    7. Clive Whitehead: Winger who later won a promotion with Exeter City, before managing Yeovil Town and then coached Bristol City’s reserves. Later, he joined the PFA as a financial adviser.
    8. Ken Wimshurst (chief coach): He ran a sports shop and worked at Southampton’s centre of excellence. He later scouted for Real Madrid and Barcelona. He died in July 2017, aged 79.
    9. John Emanuel: Welsh international midfielder who lives in Mid-Glamorgan and worked for the National Coal Board. He then became a forklift driver for a kitchen manufacturing company.
    10. Don Gillies: Full-back who was an Anglo-Scottish Cup winner. He ran his own fruit and veg business, but now lives in Wells, Somerset, and is an account executive for a wholesale fruit and vegetable company.
    11. David Rodgers: Centre-half and son of former City striker Arnold. He went to work for Clifton College as house master and is now master in charge of football.
    12. Gary Collier: Central defender who now lives in Florida and has managed the San Diego Nomads and also coached children at San Diego Soccer Club and Rancho Santa Fe club.
    13. Tom Ritchie: Striker who played for the club in all four divisions after working as a painter and decorator. He lives in nearby Clevedon andbecame a postman in Portishead.
    14. Paul Cheesley: Forward who was part of a promotion-winning squad at Norwich. He worked in insurance and as a salesman and publican before returning to sales with a packaging firm.
    15. Les Bardsley (physio): He died in January 2012, aged 86, following a short illness. He served the Robins for 21 years before opening up his private practice and also worked for Gloucestershire County Cricket Club.
    16. Trevor Tainton: Midfielder who had three relegations with City. He spent many years working as a security officer at Oldbury Nuclear Power Station after hanging up his boots.
    17. Brian Drysdale: Left-back who later became player-manager of Frome Town and Shepton Mallet. He worked as a self-employed carpenter. His son Jason, had spells at Watford, Newcastle, Swindon and Northampton Town.
    18. Geoff Merrick: Central defender who was twice voted Robins’ player of the year. He lives on a farm at Nailsea, Bristol, which he ran, along with a family building business.
    19. Alan Dicks: He went on to managed Fulham, Carolina Dynamo and Charleston Battery but has now retired and lives in Heanleaze, Bristol. He has been a regular visitor to Ashton Gate for matches.
    20. Gerry Gow: A midfielder who managed pubs in Bristol and Dorset, where he also worked for an engineering firm before stacking shelves for Tesco. He died from cancer in October 2016.
    21. Gerry Sweeney: Right-back who coached at Walsall and Bristol City, as well as being a fitness coach, before becoming a postman in Portishead, Bristol.
    22. Jimmy Mann: Midfielder and one of the Ashton Gate Eight. He has been a security officer, milkman and dry dockman. He now lives in Goole on Humberside, where he became a jetty master.
    Where Are They Now? Bristol City’s 1975-76 Division Two promotion-winners

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/feat...citys-1975-76-division-two-promotion-winners/

2. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

wow posted on the other thread about finding jobs and voila here you post one of the teams
    Amazing picture and look at the grass ... they don't play on such lush turf nowadays!.. grass used to stop the mud clogging their boots!

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

This photo was taken the year Ann and I left for Canada but even so there are still some very memorable names on that team sheet. I notice that none of them became millionaires with Bentleys and luxury yachts and yet they all contributed probably more to the integrity of the game than today's pampered mob. Regrettably their contribution to City's history will be missed by the supporters of today but the names will linger long in the memories of people of my age, and many more on this site. Thank you to all of them.:emoticon-0100-smile

4. realred1952

<ok> very fond memories indeed

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

This era (from a few years before when we were preparing for promotion, and for a few seasons afterwards until we went Ski Sunday) was undoubtedly the most enjoyable period of my City following life
    Brilliant players, excellent football and a great atmosphere at all home games

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  6. realred1952

spent many a happy couple of hours on the terrace behind the goal at open end.
    With my mate we used alternate between us 2- 3 mins before half time go get 2 cups tea and 2 pies very few goals were scored 43 44 45 mins .. had a piece of wood with 4 legs and used to put on barrier to hold cups only about 4" long and 3" wide barrier was round but never tipped as had a couple bits rubber under corner edges and was a tight fit! Had a board mills south wester and a square sheet of coated type cotton for a ex WD pauncho ... funny thing is cant remember many times we got wet / rained on ... cold was the killer though!

7. invermeremike

Does anyone remember our F.A. cup game versus Blackpool which I think was somewhere in the early sixties and if my memory serves me correctly Stanley Matthews played??? Has my memory faded or can I still drag the past from those far off days. The first appearance by Bobby Gould at Ashton Gate and didn't he get sent off? Many memories of sometimes hitch hiking to Bristol on the A38 from Edithmead and the adventures along the way - oh happy days.

8. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

I was only a babber but I remember at this time only having one sub, normally Ivor Emanuel or Mickey Brolly

9. realred1952

Cant remember if it was a cup game or league or how many times we played them back then but one game sticks out losing 2-4 for some reason we left a bout 5mins from end but City were destined to lose? quite a few goals scored as walked toward Bemmy to get car ..... only time we ever left early! think it was mid 60's

10. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

Game against Blackpool was 24th January 1959 FA Cup 4th round. Result was 1-1. Stanley Matthews played but Mike Thresher kept him quiet. Lost the replay 1-0.

I was there!

11. invermeremike

Me too RS and I think the attendance was about 42,000 - those were the days. I watched the game from the side of the old shed we had where the Dolman is now and they had the nerve to call it a grandstand. Are there any photos or reports of the match out there in cyberspace?

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Can't show the match but here is the pre Dolman ' Cowshed'

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

..An artist impression from 1904.

14. realred1952

those were the days Courage and Imperial a little known fact ... a cheque for £1m yep £ 1,000, 000 was written every day for the tax on the tobacco that was released from bond for the next day.... [ that was in 1965 ] for any younger members those red brick buildings were crammed with raw tobacco leaves .. every [most ]day ships would unload bales of leaves which were bonded till tax paid. 3 wheeled SCAMMEL tractor units would transfer to machine processing rooms " up the road" where the brand on the stand was made!
    how do I know? well I did an apprenticeship at ST Annes Board Mills ... and had a tour a couple of times ... Mardon son and Hall made up the third of the top 5 employers in Bristol
    So dockers unloaded it.... Wills as was known made the fags ... St Annes Board mill made the paper board which Mardons printed into the fag packets and a lot of us puffed away watching City play at the gate ... before or afterwards supping a pint or 2 of courage ............... hey ho have a piece of the last bit of board that came off a St Annes making machine! ...the very last 8 or so inches that made it to the winder!

no idea why the strike out

15. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

those were the days Courage and Imperial a little known fact .

Wasn’t it George’s brewery in 1959?

16. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

According to the stats our highest ever attendance was 43,335 v. Preston North End (16 February 1935) so this would have been close by the sounds of it.
    The 2 home FA cup games in 1974 against Leeds (5th round) and then Liverpool (6th round) were both pushing 40,000 attendances and were uncomfortable to be in as a standing spectator to say the least, although hugely exciting.
    The home game with Spurs in the LC Semi Final had an attendance of just over 30,000
    I was at all 3 games and also went to Leeds for the 5th round reply that we won 1-0.

17. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Makes me feel young, I wasn’t even a glint in my dads eye, being as how I wasn’t born until 2 years later .

18. AshtonRed

Even then we didn’t have tents , <laugh><laugh><laugh>

19. AshtonRed

When did this get demolished? I must have been to games when this was there as I started going mid/late 60’s, although only a young un , but could never remember what was there before the Dolman and don’t recognise this stand.

20. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Great impression that, and we never actually achieved all 4 sides covered until what, 1994? 90 years later?

Not an old one, but this is one of my favourite photos of Ashton Gate. The reason being, when I was growing up, the Williams Stand was massive to me. Being really young and wondering around that stand, having a meal inside, it just felt huge. I couldn't believe a football stand had meeting rooms and restaurants and that in it as well!

This photo is brilliant because it shows just how far our ground has come in comparison to that time back then. Just look how puny the Williams looks there.