1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Where Are They Now?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 16, 2020.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

The Dolman was built in 1970, but I have a feeling that stand (was it the number 2 grandstand? could be wrong) was demolished early 60's.

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I started going in 1969 and all I can remember is huge mounds of earth where the Dolman stand was to be built. The grandstand above the Enclosure which was directly opposite the Dolman was already in place at that point along with the East End and the Open (Park) End.

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

That’s pretty much how it remember it from my early days watching. East end, enclosure (with a stand behind it) and open end or park end. I remember the Dolman being built and opening too.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I watched the LC Semi v Spurs from the Enclosure as I was only 10. I watched the Leeds and Liverpool FA Cup games from the Open End, and the LC Semi 2nd Leg against Nottingham Forest in 1989 from the East End !

5. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

I bought a season ticket for the Dolman when it opened. Thought I was being clever by getting the very middle seat. Absolute nightmare getting out. Missed my bus on many occasions. Moved to somewhere more sensible the following season and stayed there until I left Bristol in 1975.

BCFCRob likes this.
  6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Same for me, done three years in the early 70's, nightmare to get out, sunburnt when ever it shone and dazzled, missed half the goals through lack of sun specs, benefit the Mike Gibson stride and leap up to the bar, bloody great keeper.

BCFCRob and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  7. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

As a nipper watched from the railings/wall at the bottom of the east end, then moved back to a wall in front of the tea bar at the back of the east end in the corner next to the dolman. Then as a teenager moved into dolman . Had a season ticket for many years on and off in dolman, stopped for a while as fell out of love with the game before starting again several seasons ago since when I’ve now reverted to season card in the dolman. I’ve used top tier of Lansdown a few times and although a great view and better for my slightly larger frame these days, still prefer the dolman.

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Back to the '60s

9. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

probably was, the brewery was at Bristol Bridge toured it a few times got a half pint at end of it … but you could buy a full pint or have another?... that was back in the 60's ...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

My dad was a conductor on the buses and I liked to take the last return up to Bristol and back with him and my earliest memories was of seeing Ashton Gate from Bedminster Down. Georges was clearly visible on the roof of the east stand and I suppose that would have been in the late fifties or so, and when it came to the bacccy stored in the bonded warehouses on the walk to watch the game our school took us on a tour of the W.D. and H.O Wills factory. Politically out of the park in today's world.

11. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

wow a few tears … i spy a Wolsey … an Anglia A COMMER MILK FLOAT... unbelievably most had a 3 litre engine! and would slot into a AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE or similar with minimal effort … some places survive some gone ...weekends were were plastic padding weekends … trying to beat the MOT tester with rusted out chassis! … didn't see queens sq?