1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Where do we go from here

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

All our loanee's have returned leaving us with a squad of 22 including Thompson who hasn't signed yet although he wants to but things still need to be agreed with his agent watch this space Gaz says we still have no money and we need to get rid of some dead wood so watch out for Sam Saunders announcement soon and maybe Bean I can't see any others departing unless there is money involved. We are told time and time again we are a small club with a small budget but our crowds don't back up this statement with average crowds of over 5K while Scunthorpe, Rochdale, Burton and Fleetwood average under 4K and Accrington under 3K here is the full table
    https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances
    So maybe we do not market ourselves well enough and this needs sorting also the food and bars need attention although some progress has been made there is still a lot of room for improvement this is where the investors could be involved we need to be not only a football club but a 24/7 business

2. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Kortney Hause is being sold by Wolves to Villa and i'm sure we have a sell on clause which will be handy. With Millwall picking up lately i wouldn't be surprised to see Fred back until the end of the season which is 2 reasons to smile after a horrific Christmas run of defeats.

3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Maybe we need a new marketing manager .....I wonder if Ron has any spare time :emoticon-0136-giggl

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My son (also Ron) has often commented on the lack of marketing. He is good at marketing so I'll deflect the comment to him <laugh>

Rocky blue army likes this.
  5. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Even though we have had an awful Christmas, personally I would have taken 14th at Christmas. From the comments on here we have played some good stuff at times. How many times have we let goals in, in the first 15 mins which puts yourself under pressure straight away. With the crowds where are we going to attract more support from that goes to every home game. Let's be honest we probably hav'nt got a lot of money but who has below the Premier League.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't know how most tickets are sold but if they are on line or over the phone the post codes of those customers should be known so the first thing I would do is to analyse by post code to see where they are coming from. I would then obtain the population of those areas and nearby areas. It's possible that there are potential customers who just aren't aware, particularly on the outskirts/ nearby towns & villages. Have we ever tried surveys?

My wife and daughter were in Wycombe town centre one Saturday and they would never have known that there was an important home match that day had I not told them.

How far out from Wycombe are our football reports and previews published in local papers?

Another thing I would consider is to give existing customers a free pass once they have introduced 3 new paying customers (obviously there would need to be some check that this wasn't being abused).

Just off the top of my head

7. Guywanderer

8. Rocky blue army

There's no advertising where I live in Stokenchurch nearby villages are the same I get regular postal notifications from spurs and also emails about tickets corporate stuff club shop etc and up and coming events surely that's something wycombe should be doing.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep. I thought as much Rocky. Doesn't cost much either. I'm sure, (I am sure? I am sure? I am sure?) that they have carried out all the obvious analyses (eg can we justify the advertising cost? If we spend £x, how many new customers must we attract to one match and what % of those would need to become "regular" visitors).

When our local team has a big match it is advertised all over the place, squads at all age levels are encouraged to bring their parents and friends by giving the squad members free tickets. That's what started us going. Although we can't get to any afternoon games because my grandsons have matches. Big matches are always in the evening. The younger squad members are selected to walk out on the pitch with the teams and others are made ball boys.

10. Rocky blue army

It can't cost that much to advertise a4 size flyers in shop windows advertising matches events and special tickets with cut prices for say 4 games to people who are not registered on the wwfc database, surely that's the way forward, and once that's been taken up they can be sent the same by emails which costs nothing.

Ron likes this.

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This budget lark is a bleddy joke in my opinion. We are the 7th best supported team in the league. We are constantly being told that there is no money and in this transfer window we have to off load to bring in. According to the news we have the 5th lowest budget in the league. The 5th lowest attendance in that average attendance list is Scunthorpe who get something like 5300 less through the gates each game. Tickets apparently average around £15 profit margin so on that basis we get some £80k per home game more than Scunthorpe. That would be £80k times 23 games. If somebody can explain to me how that sort of maths makes us the 5th lowest in this league then I would be all to willing to listen. If the figures are true then some of these clubs must have a shed load of gifts from owners in a season because that is the only way you can inject cash without it being earned. It's amazing how some of these clubs all come out with the budget crap every year though.

12. Rocky blue army

Maybe the north south divide on living standards and the cost of living has something to do with that who knows. Players down south maybe on more money than comparative clubs up north as in wages and house prices generally are or some feckers high up in management are ripping their own clubs off.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We are not "down South" exactly Rocky we are very much out on a limb football wise and the average wage in this area is probably around 18K a year. Mind you house prices compared to salaries is a bit lopsided. This is the area of second homes which are empty for at least 8 months a year. The being ripped off bit I can see quite easily though or rather lied to when they pocket some profit.

14. Rocky blue army

It makes me laugh when we play in the check a trade trophy and they say if you win you get £10,000 or whatever it is well take Plymouth for example if you are away to say carlysle on a Tuesday night surely that means travel up the day before and possibly 2 nights stay in a hotel plus expenses for the squad ie food and drinks etc and the cost of travel you don't get a lot of profit out of that so on the grand scheme of things are you actually making much money out of that one game I don't know but it doesn't appear to me to be that profitable.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think that's why they do that on a regional basis Rocky. Mind you with crowds around the 1000 mark for most teams or less for that one I'm guessing it doesn't show much of a profit for anyone. Lets face it that is an excuse for the Prem reserves to get a game against proper players rather than boys and they've bought the privilege. I would rather kiss the missus than go to one of those games.

I do think that the problem with football in general now is owners. There are far too many rich types even in the bottom leagues who chuck cash at their team in the hope of rising to the top. There is no such thing as a level playing field anymore. We are so far out on a limb and therefore unfashionable location wise that we do lose out a lot on those rich types. We do not have a big bag of rich locals either to pick from so unless you are from the favoured areas of the country then you will struggle to get a sugar daddy type. If you are then it's pot luck if one picks on you as the chosen team. I'm not even sure I want one anyway. It's my club for good or bad and not the toy of some mega rich twat who plays at being a benefactor.

Ron and Rocky blue army like this.
  16. Guywanderer

I do the euro millions and lotto in the hope I could be that investor and when there is a big winner I just hope they are a Chairboy and willing to put money into the club there are ways round the fair play cap as man city and Chelski have been abusing for years oh yes you can add Burton and Fleetwood to that list of abusers

17. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Good news for us regarding house as West Brom want him as well as Villa,a bidding war upping the price will be great for our sell on clause,kerching!! <party>

Ron and Rocky blue army like this.
  18. Guywanderer

I see Morris was not involved in the Shrewsbury squad today

19. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

I see O'Nien scored again for Sunderland, that's killed that loan deal

20. Guywanderer

I don't think that was ever on the cards at they love him up there although Max Power has signed on a two and a half year deal but after listening to Gaz yesterday he sounded more upbeat and we should see some loan signings this week